Scotland

fastbob

It's that time of year again and I'm off to Scotland . No plan , just to avoid motorways and get up into the good bits . I would like to spend a bit of time on Skye and I think I'll go up as far as Ardmair camp site near Ullapool . This will be my first really big trip on the Harley and I just can't wait to set off .

IMG_20190627_203115788_HDR.thumb.jpg.62ce59d3fd68f0c2154282ba3291f984.jpg

Have a good ‘un Bob.

If you get a chance visit the banks of Loch Long ( just passed Helensburgh), great scenery & lots of places suitable for wild camping.

Have a good ‘un Bob.

If you get a chance visit the banks of Loch Long ( just passed Helensburgh), great scenery & lots of places suitable for wild camping.

Thanks for the tip . Where exactly on Loch Long did you have in mind ? It looks a bit civilized on GMaps . To be honest , if I've made it that far by nightfall I'll probably press on to Bridge of Orchy and camp across the bridge behind the hotel .

Guest Richzx6r

Oh and if you want a single hard luggage case for a Harley it is or at least was on the southbound a1 near Doncaster, I think there were a couple of tinnies with it

Oh and if you want a single hard luggage case for a Harley it is or at least was on the southbound a1 near Doncaster, I think there were a couple of tinnies with it

Can you find me the other one ? Someone's not going to be very happy when they arrive at their destination .

Have a good ‘un Bob.

Thanks for the tip . Where exactly on Loch Long did you have in mind ? It looks a bit civilized on GMaps . To be honest , if I've made it that far by nightfall I'll probably press on to Bridge of Orchy and camp across the bridge behind the hotel .

The stretch from Coulport to Arrochar has plenty of loch side opportunities.

Guest Richzx6r

Can you find me the other one ? Someone's not going to be very happy when they arrive at their destination .

Nah I bet, but I can't believe the rider wouldn't have known that the box had been lost it would have had to have been some whack to take it off :scratch:

Have a good ‘un Bob.

Sorry mate, but all I'm seeing is a narrow road ( I got stuck behind a car here and could not find one passing opportunity ) and either a wall or a metal barrier . I am seeing an oil terminal and the nuclear sub base .

Sorry mate, but all I'm seeing is a narrow road ( I got stuck behind a car here and could not find one passing opportunity ) and either a wall or a metal barrier . I am seeing an oil terminal and the nuclear sub base .

Passed the base at Portincaple, there’s woods on the right ( although on a steep hill side)

& on the left there are camping opportunities on the loch side over the wall, or in the woods on the LHS.

Hope you have a good time @[mentions]fastbob[/mention] . We are at Oban at the moment. Weather is hot but they are forecasting cooler weather on Saturday and rain come Sunday. For the area.

Passed the base at Portincaple, there’s woods on the right ( although on a steep hill side)

& on the left there are camping opportunities on the loch side over the wall, or in the woods on the LHS.

Cheers but I think I'll stick to what I know .

Screenshot_20190628-225512.thumb.png.69c4fa50c8f06bb5f79d6149b7442729.png

Glenn Affric area is very scenic, Glenn Etive also although it is a dead end but great wild camping spots if you don't mind ticks and 6 billion midgies

I attempted to get out of a car with some mates once in glen Affric and we were set upon by so many midges that you could almost scrape them off like a sludge . This is why I will only use beach campsites wherever possible . Loch Arkaig was pretty bad too . These kinds of locations are all very nice until that certain time in the evening when the wind suddenly drops . Then you've had it .

Well here's my first problem , I haven't even set off yet and I'm already too hot ! My biggest concern is getting stuck in traffic . There are no rads or fans on a Harley ! I'm going to pack some bottles of water to keep hydrated . I haven't planned a route yet but I'm definitely thinking M1 rather than M6 at least to get up level with Sheffield .

Have fun Bob! It's already 24°C in Dundee today. We are moving all the big things from one house to the other today, melting!! :lol:

Roads around the Cairngorms are lovely, and usually quiet enough to enjoy. Personally not much compares to the scenery on the west coast for me, which just gets better and better the further north you go.

Well here's my first problem , I haven't even set off yet and I'm already too hot ! My biggest concern is getting stuck in traffic . There are no rads or fans on a Harley ! I'm going to pack some bottles of water to keep hydrated . I haven't planned a route yet but I'm definitely thinking M1 rather than M6 at least to get up level with Sheffield .

Suggest the A1 up as far as Scotch Corner then the A66 to Penrith and the M6. Alternatively stick in the A1 to the A68 junction near Darlington and take that road into Scotland. That's a good road to ride.