bike keep cutting out like it is out of petrol but isn't help

jem1

hi any surgestions welcome I am riding a BMW f 800 st in the piraneze the bike keeps cutting out like it's running out of petrol but still have half a tank the temp hear is quite high between 35 and 43%and I think it must be just overheating however ťheres no warning light on I've checked the usual oil water levels etc all OK. I am wondering if I should take it to a repair shop to get it checked out or just put up with stopping regularly þo let it cool down

hi any surgestions welcome I am riding a BMW f 800 st in the piraneze the bike keeps cutting out like it's running out of petrol but still have half a tank the temp hear is quite high between 35 and 43%and I think it must be just overheating however ťheres no warning light on I've checked the usual oil water levels etc all OK. I am wondering if I should take it to a repair shop to get it checked out or just put up with stopping regularly þo let it cool down

Coincidentally, i just finished reading a HUGE thread on this exact issue over on F800 riders.org

Many solutions to the same problem from software updates to fuel pump replace to hoses as mentioned above.

You'll find the thread 2nd top of the 800s/st discussion thread.

Read the whole thing.It starts from 2012 and is still going. I'm convinced you'll find the answer there.

Good luck dude

:cheers: thank you I will go there now it is good to know it is a common problem I am a bit nervous as you can imagine that would get stuck in the hills without reception and have to walk miles. thanks again jem

:cheers: thank you I will go there now it is good to know it is a common problem I am a bit nervous as you can imagine that would get stuck in the hills without reception and have to walk miles. thanks again jem

Let us know how you get on. I've just bought a 2009 ST recently and will be touring Ireland next week. Totally paranoid now the same thing is going happen!

Hello Jem, sorry to hear of your woes, it's a bit difficult to give advice at distance. As already said it could be the altitude combined with heat. When it cuts out try opening the petrol filler cap and listen for a hiss, the heat could be causing a vacuum and starving the engine of fuel.

the problem seems to have corrected it's self I think as previous reply have said heat and altatude mainly the heat I think I have made sure I refilled regularly in only using half tank before filling again and as it has never been as hot as though two days all seems fine now thanks for all your advice it was useful. I now know 45%is to hot for the bike let alone myself :lol:

Heat kinking the fuel pipe ?

Iv been getting that sort of thing with my bike for the last few months an been pulling my hair out trying to fix it

Now you saying that it only starts when the bike is getting hot .as unused the other day and it was doing this a lot struggling to get petrol .

Hi that was the 1st thing I did when it 1st started happen as I asked on here then . But it's still giving me.problmes . Starting to lose faith in the bike as I fell one day it's just going to stop and wont start again yet iv tried and checked everything. I bought a new fuel filter sat I'm going.to fit that on but waiting for the tank to empty .as I'm going to take off the fuel cock thing and check that .as there is a filter in side the tank which is quite expensive so the last owner put a fuel filter under the tank rather than inside . As the one he put on it £4 . So I'm going to check that .as it's all that iv not done .

Does redX work on motorcycles ?? Also I was told by a motorbike mechanic years go that you dont put RedX in a jap bike .. I'd that true ???