starting again after 25 years!!

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting back into things at nearly 50! however my current licence has the 'A' category on it so I of course need a CBT but I've read a lot about A1 & A2 and theories etc, with my A category what exactly do I need to do next to get myself back involved with everyone. thanks to everyone that helps me and fingers crossed I can get back out there!

I did my test in 1969 and I have an A - full licence, so do you. If you've not been on a bike for 25 years try booking a back to biking course with a school. Good luck

John

I started biking again five years ago after a 20 year break.

Fortunalely I Passed my bike test in 1980 so my licence covers me for all motorbikes.

I didn't do any refresher training but it makes sense to consider doing so.

Have fun and stay safe.

Guest Richzx6r

Yea as said, you would be amazed by how bikes have come on since you last rode one....aka they now actually have brakes and even 'slow' bikes today would be like stabbed rats compared to the bikes of yesteryear so I'd definitely opt for a back to biking course to ease the joints back in slowly

A word of caution, is your Cat A full or restricted, i haven't got a full bike licence, but i do have Cat A restricted, which allows me to ride any size trikes or quads on my car licence, have a look at the back of your licence, and see if there are numbers against it https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-codes :thumb:

i have just checked mine and came across this, does this mean i could ride a bigger bike on L plates,

Vehicles you can provisionally drive

Category : A

Start date: 1 Nov 1987

End date: 2 Jul 2040

Image of category A vehicle Hide information

Description

You can drive a motorcycle of a power exceeding 35kW or with a power to weight ratio exceeding 0.2kW per kg, or A motorcycle of a power not exceeding 35kW with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW per kg and derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. A motor tricycle with a power exceeding 15kW

i have just checked mine and came across this, does this mean i could ride a bigger bike on L plates,

Vehicles you can provisionally drive

Category : A

Start date: 1 Nov 1987

End date: 2 Jul 2040

Image of category A vehicle Hide information

Description

You can drive a motorcycle of a power exceeding 35kW or with a power to weight ratio exceeding 0.2kW per kg, or A motorcycle of a power not exceeding 35kW with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW per kg and derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. A motor tricycle with a power exceeding 15kW

Eh, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere where the only bike you can ride on the road with L plates are 125. If you wanted to ride anything over that a qualified DVSA instructor needs to be present at all time. :(

I wonder how your license is Cat A restricted though as you got your license back in 1987. Did you ever sit your bike test, Mike?

Hi Jack, no never, done bike test, it seems there is a lot of contradictory statements within the DVLA, one area say's one thing, and other areas say something else :scratch:

Hi Jack, no never, done bike test, it seems there is a lot of contradictory statements within the DVLA, one area say's one thing, and other areas say something else :scratch:

Ah right, I see. I've did some digging online and this website seems to have a good explanation on this:

http://www.90-one.com/itbplus.html

I would have thought you would have legacy rights but it was more to do with larger motor vehicles:

https://www.drivex.co.uk/driving-licence-info/

The reason I thought that was I'm sure at one point my dad who took his driving test in the 70's had legacy rights where he could ride a motorbike on his car licence (if he chose to that is, he never did). It's now completely taken off his licence though due to new driving laws.

Ah right, I see. I've did some digging online and this website seems to have a good explanation on this:

http://www.90-one.com/itbplus.html

I would have thought you would have legacy rights but it was more to do with larger motor vehicles:

https://www.drivex.co.uk/driving-licence-info/

The reason I thought that was I'm sure at one point my dad who took his driving test in the 70's had legacy rights where he could ride a motorbike on his car licence (if he chose to that is, he never did). It's now completely taken off his licence though due to new driving laws.

Thanks Jack, the first link makes it a lot clearer, but i still can't fathom the provisional entitlement bit, unless it just while doing training, and accompanied by an instructor, which would make sense, and should be stated accordingly :cheers: