Can someone help me choose the best a2 legal bike

AdamP

Hi I'm adam

I'm turning 19 in just over a year and I want to start saving up for a good a2 legal motorbike (47bhp max and preferably a SM)

I was looking at ktm exc's, honda crf's, drz's etc. But I'm not sure what I should choose. Also my friend has Kawasaki ER6, so if there's any supermotos faster than the ER6 please tell me, I can't let him overtake me every 2 seconds, but it doesn't have to be an SM it's just what I'd prefer but I also like race bikes, nakeds.. Everything tbh EXCPET mopeds/scooters

Thanks.

Hello and welcome :thumb:

can't help with which bike to recommend, but at a guess, you will need to sit on few, and see which ones feel good, then make up a shortlist of possibles :thumb:

Hi I'm adam

I'm turning 19 in just over a year and I want to start saving up for a good a2 legal motorbike (47bhp max and preferably a SM)

I was looking at ktm exc's, honda crf's, drz's etc. But I'm not sure what I should choose. Also my friend has Kawasaki ER6, so if there's any supermotos faster than the ER6 please tell me, I can't let him overtake me every 2 seconds, but it doesn't have to be an SM it's just what I'd prefer but I also like race bikes, nakeds.. Everything tbh EXCPET mopeds/scooters

Thanks.

Please forgive my directness but if you're already talking about racing your mates then I suggest you skip the motorbike thing and save for a car .

Guest Richzx6r

Super motard

I have no idea what that means either! I shall refrain from worrying about it though. I have got this far in life without needing to know.

Lol its basically a motocross bike with road tyres

What about a restricted husqvarna 701 small?

I mean, I don't think there's any point to get a 701 just yet (and BTW the 701 is one of my dream motorbikes) because if I get it restriccted then that's like another £200, that's what my pal has to pay for his ER6 at least, but then again, and when I'm 21 and decide to get idk a 1000cc then it'll be a waste of money wouldn't it? And plus I'd hate to restrict a motorbike, I'd probably tak it off as soon as I get the paper saying that I got it restricted

But anyway thanks for the advice it's helping me narrow down what I really want

Hi I'm adam

Thanks.

Please forgive my directness but if you're already talking about racing your mates then I suggest you skip the motorbike thing and save for a car .

I said that as a joke, like I know I have no chance in beating a 90bhp custom kawasaki ER6 with a 47bhp stock bike, I basically meant that I want something that won't drag so much behind that my pal is gonna take the piss that he's faster and all that, I'm planning on getting a car anyway for practicality later on after the bike anyway but for now I want to ride and chill, go to the 3 sisters up north, a car won't be as fun

Stay safe out there, and test drive all the bikes you can, it is free after all.

I didint even know that, that's good to hear

In some cases you will just have to leave a deposit, which you get refunded unless you damage the bike whilst testing.

Is a scrambler not kind of a chopper looking bike, like a cafe racer mixed with a chopper with off road tyres?

I always thought an SM or |Super Moto) was nothing more complicated than an off-road bike... a true off roader. Which normally comes with larger than usual wheel rim sizes.. 21" for example. and usually Tubed. And is sold as NOT ROAD LEGAL so no lights at all..

One of those... that has been converted. so.. starting with road wheel rims. more usual sizes. Tubeless. often cast (spokeless) more often than not taken directly from a sports/road bike then add road focussed tyres. preferably sporty ones. or more extreme... scooter type wheels and tyre sizes.

After this... add brake lights and indicators... so it can pass at the very least a daytime MOT and so be road legal... or one step further add a headlamps and get a full MOT.

and there you have it. As with most conversions like this.. it started out as private individuals looking for something different and doing this themselves. And then.. as the popularity increased. The manufacturers seeing a potential new market and bringing out bikes to fill this new niche.

All this began or was made popular, in France.. and the original label given to these conversions was Super Motarde. That changed over time to Super Moto with the arrival of races in Europe on Tarmac racetracks in the early/mid 2000s for these bikes... and now just SM, usually tacked onto the end of the bikes title. so you might have an off-road bike called one thing, and the on-road version called the same, with SM added to differentiate.

in their purest form.. or original (racel form.

Scramblers are road bikes converted to race on dirt. not always on the flat sometimes with hill climbs thrown in. or just hill climbs.

SM are off-road bikes converted to race on tarmac. on any normal racetrack.

Hi all long time no posting for me but I’m like Adam being that I’m six four and do agree that the sm did seem more appealing to me but in the end I went with an adventure bike in the form of the nc750x which only has 54 bhp and another bike I was considering was the cb500x which might be A2 compliant without a restriction kit (somebody more knowledgable will be along shortly) but I would again say check out adventure bikes Adam

Hi all long time no posting for me but I’m like Adam being that I’m six four and do agree that the sm did seem more appealing to me but in the end I went with an adventure bike in the form of the nc750x which only has 54 bhp and another bike I was considering was the cb500x which might be A2 compliant without a restriction kit (somebody more knowledgable will be along shortly) but I would again say check out adventure bikes Adam

Adventures and tourist bikes aren't really my type, like I prefer naked, SM's or race bikes, those are more my style, for example I like the look of the BMW GS but it's not something I'd ride because theyre huge and heavy, I'm more for aggressive type of riding, like going low on corners, wheelies and all that

But thanks for the advice anyway

Edited by AdamP

I always thought an SM or |Super Moto) was nothing more complicated than an off-road bike... a true off roader. Which normally comes with larger than usual wheel rim sizes.. 21" for example. and usually Tubed. And is sold as NOT ROAD LEGAL so no lights at all..

One of those... that has been converted. so.. starting with road wheel rims. more usual sizes. Tubeless. often cast (spokeless) more often than not taken directly from a sports/road bike then add road focussed tyres. preferably sporty ones. or more extreme... scooter type wheels and tyre sizes.

After this... add brake lights and indicators... so it can pass at the very least a daytime MOT and so be road legal... or one step further add a headlamps and get a full MOT.

and there you have it. As with most conversions like this.. it started out as private individuals looking for something different and doing this themselves. And then.. as the popularity increased. The manufacturers seeing a potential new market and bringing out bikes to fill this new niche.

All this began or was made popular, in France.. and the original label given to these conversions was Super Motarde. That changed over time to Super Moto with the arrival of races in Europe on Tarmac racetracks in the early/mid 2000s for these bikes... and now just SM, usually tacked onto the end of the bikes title. so you might have an off-road bike called one thing, and the on-road version called the same, with SM added to differentiate.

in their purest form.. or original (racel form.

Scramblers are road bikes converted to race on dirt. not always on the flat sometimes with hill climbs thrown in. or just hill climbs.

SM are off-road bikes converted to race on tarmac. on any normal racetrack.

Hahaha so Suoermotos are barely older than me

Adventures and tourist bikes aren't really my type, like I prefer naked, SM's or race bikes, those are more my style, for example I like the look of the BMW GS but it's not something I'd ride because theyre huge and heavy, I'm more for aggressive type of riding, like going low on corners, wheelies and all that

But thanks for the advice anyway

1. "Best bike" is a very subjective thing. Best at what?

Every year there is an award for European Best Car of the Year. Each year it is won by a bland family friendly hatchback which almost nobody I know would say they really want to get that car. But according to the voters it's the best. The only way to find what's best for you is to do the research, go look at, sit on, price up the bikes, and ride them once you have the appropriate licence.

2. Comments like this really boil my piss. Loads of forum members have taken time out to give good sound advice, and then you reveal that all you want is to dick around. If you're gonna do that on the road buy something old and tatty with engine bars cos you're gonna crash it ..... a lot!

Best advice - pass your car test, buy a van, buy a motocrosser or track bike, then do your dicking around away from the roads we all use with a modicum of common Sense.

Nothing personal dude - just my opinion

Super motard

I have no idea what that means either! I shall refrain from worrying about it though. I have got this far in life without needing to know.

Very basically, a dirt bike with road tyres .