Long way down.

Smithers

Although I've never owned a BMW bike, I've always admired them and often had thoughts about seriously looking into buying a GS. What changed my mind and decided I won't bother was at a certain venue famous for it's biking clientele I had a ride out to today. There were 4, more or less identical GS's parked alongside each other (obviously all riding buddy's visiting) all with the obligatory square shaped luggage strapped to them. They were all kept in decent shape by obviously proud owners.

So, sat outside in the sun sipping my builders strength tea, I watched the owners go to their bikes ready to resume their ride. All 4 of them needed to mount their bikes stood on the foot peg with side stand down. It was obvious why, they were a bit on the short side and not particularly burly or agile looking.

The first thing that stuck me was, if one them were to make a mistake and drop a fully fuelled and full loaded bike, (which nearly happened) it would end up a fairly serious spill. All their riding buddies would have to go through the dismount procedure and rescue the unfortunate rider, who if lucky, was not crushed to death by this behemoth of a machine.

I looked across to my NC750x and thought, why would I want to get rid of that. It ticks all the boxes and it's not so far to fall as the GS if the unthinkable happened. I really must get round to doing a review of my bike on here one day. It's one of those bikes that's like a good bit of Stilton; The older and riper it gets, it just gets better and better. :thumb:

Did any of them have obvious signs of being dropped? probably not. If one were to go over, the rider would not be crushed as it has these great big stck-out-like-a-sore-thumb cylinders and unless he was either a 7 stone weakling with bad joints. or over 80 years of age. He would probably have picked it up before the others had time to dismount, unless it was off camber, with the wheels higher than the seat. (it happens)

A GS with luggage is going to fall less far than your bike. Counter-intuitive as that may sound and is far easier to pick up than your bike. counter-intuitive as that may sound too. And.. would, very likely, not have a single scar. unless it fell badly onto a very uneven surface, large rocks for example.

You should, perhaps try test riding one. see what you think about your 750 then.

heres a young woman.. she weighs just under 9 stone, and although she hasn't got the technique perfect. that doesn't matter. results do.

">

[mention]Gerontious[/mention] To be honest no real signs of drop damage that I could see. The riders were knocking on a bit and I doubt they could have matched the strength of that young girl in the video :lol: But had the bike been fully fuelled and loaded with max luggage the young girl might have found her match.

I'm not knocking the GS, I still like them apart from the hefty price tag they command. As for test riding a GS, that would definitely put the NC in the shade and I'm not sure that would be a good idea.