Smart Motorways

manxie49

I'm no expert but motorways with no hard shoulder have got to be dangerous! I wouldn't want to break down on one, unable to get to a "safe refuge". They appear to becoming more common place, I don't understand how the highways agency can say they are safer?? :?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/smart-motorways-without-hard-shoulders-are-safer-claims-highways-england-despite-emergency-services-and-driving-groups-blasting-them-as-dangerous/ar-AADGDLp?li=AAnZ9Ug&ocid=mailsignout

Edited by manxie49

Not so smart motorways is nearer the mark. The only possible safety aspect would be the highways agency putting all the Thunderbirds on standby; Thunderbird 1 for rapid airlift to hospital, Thunderbird 2 for heavy lifting of accident debris. The IOM will now become Tracy Island Man with Brains overseeing all the logistical side of things. 35.gif

I wouldn't wish ill will on anyone, but i bet the bright sparks behind this, would change their opinion, if a loved one of theirs had a fatality, in between these so called refuge areas :shock:

He said the need for hard shoulders had become redundant because modern cars are now fitted with technology that warns the driver when they're about to break down, giving them plenty of time to take action and exit a motorway.

He also argued that vehicles are more reliable today than ever before and the chances of suffering a reliability issue are at an all time low.

You gotta love the idiot for claiming this is the new norm when there is still loads of cars on the road that aren't anywhere near what we would call a "modern car".

You break down, if you can't reach one of the labys you come to a stop in a live lane of traffic , the lane which HGV's trundling along ...... move along no danger here :roll:

Also if there is an accident and the road is blocked and all traffic and has come to a stop before you know it there is a 1 mile tail back .... don't worry the ambulance and fire engines will be at the scene to help the casualties in a few minutes , just fly up the hard shoulder that'll be clear ...... oh hang on.. :shock:

Well, in principle, the concept of "smart motorways" is ok.

There are cameras every few hundred yards ( each camera is insight of the next ) which are monitored 24/7.

Most, if not all, also have sensors that flag up abnormal traffic patterns, slow or stationary vehicles.

Then the matrix signs display reduced speed limits, lane closures, warning messages etc. This is often instantaneous so I wonder if there is an automated system, or maybe the guys in the control room are really on the ball.

So if people follow the guidance in large illuminated font in front of them all is good.

The problems are caused by dickheads who ignore these signs (or don't see them cos they're busy texting)......

Like the knob today on M5 - joining at J1 there's a red X on lane 1. while everyone is shuffling into lanes 2&3, I matched their speed in the centre of lane one waiting for a gap. Knob decides he's too important to follow the rules and squeezes past my nearside within 2-3 inches, and off down the closed lane until he reaches the HATO's coned taper, before pushing into lane2 . When I passed him a few seconds later the knob was chatting away on his phone without a care in the world.

Guest Richzx6r

There are cameras every few hundred yards ( each camera is insight of the next ) which are monitored 24/7.

Most, if not all, also have sensors that flag up abnormal traffic patterns, slow or stationary vehicles.

Then the matrix signs display reduced speed limits, lane closures, warning messages etc. This is often instantaneous so I wonder if there is an automated system, or maybe the guys in the control room are really on the ball.

So if people follow the guidance in large illuminated font in front of them all is good.

The problems are caused by dickheads who ignore these signs (or don't see them cos they're busy texting)......

Like the knob today on M5 - joining at J1 there's a red X on lane 1. while everyone is shuffling into lanes 2&3, I matched their speed in the centre of lane one waiting for a gap. Knob decides he's too important to follow the rules and squeezes past my nearside within 2-3 inches, and off down the closed lane until he reaches the HATO's coned taper, before pushing into lane2 . When I passed him a few seconds later the knob was chatting away on his phone without a care in the world.

Its twats like that who really do need taking off the road entirely....surely an m5 has bluetooth connection as standard :scratch:

If the idiots that managed them would remember to turn the 40/50mph speed limits off then they’d be alright.

Every time I go up the m1 now it says 50mph even if there’s no danger around. Or ‘reports of pedestrian in road’ for 10 miles even though the pedestrian was 500 metres before the first sign saying it!

Its twats like that who really do need taking off the road entirely....surely an m5 has bluetooth connection as standard :scratch:

Rich, it was M5 - the motorway, near West Brom. My bad, I didn't make that clear.

The car was an Astra - tarted up to look like a vxr but probably just mid range diesel.

Guest Richzx6r

Rich, it was M5 - the motorway, near West Brom. My bad, I didn't make that clear.

The car was an Astra - tarted up to look like a vxr but probably just mid range diesel.

Ahh ok lol :bike: maybe I should have looked better at the post

There is a smart section on the M1 between J16 Daventry and J19 M6 /A14, I have travelled along it many times.

I also initially thought they were a ridiculous idea and was reluctant to use lane1.

However the more I used it became less concerned and regularly drove along L1.

If there were any incidents the appropriate lanes were closed well in advance.

I guess they think vehicles are more reliable than 60 years ago and the risk is lower.

We think nothing at driving along a dual carriageway, same 70mph speed limit and no hard shoulder.

I use them twice a day every day (that I work)

I didn't think they'd work at first but actually they do!(most of the time) :thumb:

As much as I dislike them, I'm in complete agreement with you.

People don't understand them or trust them or simply ignore the messages given, which is half the problem.

There are still quite alot of road users that can't use a 3lane road properly, never mind adding extra or removing lanes as is required, the standards of motorway driving are sometimes so dire it puts everybody in danger........

......bits that's a different rant altogether 😂

Just a way to make money with the average speed cameras.

M60 is now smart however it still has a 40 mph restriction at 11 on a Saturday night and other restrictions when there is no traffic. Load of tosh, refuge areas a joke. Tell you what rather than spend billions on these things how about improving public transport.

Rant over.

The M4 near me has started in the last cupl years along Newport different speed limits and I used to drive that road 2 ton3 times a day for like 15 years and since these new speed restrictions are used iv never ever seen as much traffic jams in my life on that section All down to these stupid speed restrictions.. they say it's to help the environment BOLLOCKS the amount of emissions that must be pumping out every day at ever section that been slowed down must have halved the the fecking polar bears population .. every single traffic jam starts with these speed restrictions.. the ppl.who come up with this idea needs to the feckkng fed to the polar bears... .every part where is 70mph which every one is doing 80plus . Due to being stuck for the last hour .. is all clear and running ..

I think a leaf should be taken out of the German handbook, I've travelled along autobahns numerous times over the years and have never once hit a traffic jam, everything just flows. I don't know, maybe I've just been lucky or maybe they have the right idea when it comes to traffic management.

I lived in Germany for 8/9 years!

I've been in some bad jams on The Autobahn.

Even when we went in the campervan last year we got stuck at least once.

Being in a campervan I'd be surprised if you weren't at the front of it. :lol:

Motorhomes are fantastic in say the USA here in the UK no fecking chance.. unless you want to spend a lot time say in the highlands of Scotland .but then you get shite weather .. iv been on 2 motorhomes trips to the US once LA .. 2an New York/Niagara falls and wow .. fantastic . Caravaners are nothing but wannabe pikeys to disrupt everyone else lives/day as much as they can .. .