which body part is most exposed during a slide?

potatobroxd

Im raising this question after seeing way too many riders wearing jackets with fashion trousers or jeans. Personally, if I only had the budget to choose either one, I would go for the jeans as it seems like your legs seem to be most exposed during a low-slide crash.

My personal ranking for gear priority is: (assuming full gear is not an option)

1. Helmet

2. Gloves

3. Trousers

4. Jacket

5. Boots

Would you guys agree?

If full gear is not an option then you can't afford to be on the road, might as well ask after your head which limb would you like to keep the most, more accidents involve other vehicles which tend to involve your legs and feet.....

Im raising this question after seeing way too many riders wearing jackets with fashion trousers or jeans.

Ive been using forums since before forums existed.. and if there is one thing you can be absolutely sure of its that every year, without fail. when the weather heats up, this kind of comment and some variation of the following question will appear.

I got tired, many years ago of worrying about gear and crashes. I reckoned, if I can afford to spend multiple £1000s on a motorbike and its maintenance, then i could also afford high quality clothing with year round practicality, at least once per decade. So, I went for top of the range Rukka. I cried once, when i paid. And that was 8+ years ago now. Buy once - Cry once. Im about to pull the trigger again on new trousers and looking to pay more than I like to think about. I reckon my legs are at least worth that.

As for which body part is most vulnerable in an off. I seem to remember TC answering this at some time or other. Hands. And as someone who knows the cost in pain and anguish of plastic surgery on my hand. Thats something I never want to experience again. Never.

From what I have seen of people who have come off whilst not wearing protective gear the most common injuries are hands and legs.

There is no more or les important part of equipment. Except helmet that is mandatory.

So just from personal experience, when ever I had accident not the only but most injured parts were those without proper protection, feet, legs,

Since several bad experience , even on over 30 degrees centigrade I will use full protection, of course appropriate for temperatures, unfortunately it cost much more when it comes to recovery.

Guest Richzx6r

From my experience I would also say hands are most at risk as when I had any of my accidents I was wearing jeans both times and they came out of it pretty unscathed but my hands both times were painfully scathed so obviously get as good gear as you can afford but lid and gloves should be top of the list when buying in order of protection

The most common motorcycle related hand injuries are referred to by hospital staff as a 'de-gloving' and happens when the rider instinctively tries to break their fall with bare hands. I'm also told that jeans material has a tendency to become one with your skin when skidding down the road.

Personally I don't feel comfortable unless I've got all my gear on, but I do see a lot of other bikers with little to no protective gear on and selfishly I hope I'm not around to see it if they come off.

When I was entering the world of biking, I went with my bro to get my helmet and the second I had picked one, I was told to not skim on the gloves as he claimed that would be the first thing you would use in an event of a crash. Sure enough when I did come off, my gloves was the only thing that was damaged when I hit the asphalt. Luckily I came off unscathed from that collision as the driver pulled out a give way when he clearly saw me riding along. (my witnesses agreed!)

Apart from the helmet, I always have my back protector, gloves, motorcycle boots on at all times. I tend to wear covec jeans so have protection on for my knees as I can get away with jeans at work but I really should have my arm protector on though :shock: it's only for work though, when I'm out in the weekends it's always full gear.

A mate was moving his cbr600 around his drive in crocks, lost his footing & his bike went over. A tangent off topic but you see where I'm coming from.

I'm an atgatt champion :lol:

Depends if you fly off forwards, sideways, backwards - you can not really plan it, thus, every body part is in danger. But usually, on, a, erm....typical slide down the road you be sliding on your leg/arm/arse, then after friction is tested you will go into a roll which will make every part of you body susceptible to a knock.

I would probably go in this order:

Helmet

Gloves

Armored Jacket + back protector

Boots

Kevlar Jeans + hip armour

If funds were tights I'd buy a Helmet and jeans + hip armour new and Facebook Market Place the rest for second hand kit.

Personally I wear all of the above all the time and keep the one piece for the track. I do accept my own risk by not wearing knee armour 90% of the time and I do have a set of short Revit Pioneer boots for when it is really hot or doing touring with a lot of walking.

At the end of the day you could wear nothing bar a helmet, have an accident and walk away pretty much unscathed or full gear including one piece, get t-boned by a driver at 30mph whilst waiting at a junction and wake up with your ankle by your ear and a completely shattered hip and leg (as my friend did). It is luck, simple as that and all you can do is lower the risk as much as possible.

When I hit the tarmac it was hands, elbow, shoulder and hip ..... Every accident is different though, to many extrinsic unknowns to to be able to say with confidence, this is what you should buy first, so I've got to agree with Bender, go for the best you can afford of everything and definitely don't skimp on the helmet ....

Getting clothing that fits properly, should be the priority, a £500 helmet that's too big, will not be as effective, as a £100 correctly fitted one, the same goes for your jacket, jeans, gloves, boots, and any other clothing or accessories you get :thumb:

The one time I fell off at sort of speed (30mph ) as all the other times iv dropped the bike on a dodge U turn.. I was riding along it was 430am black ice all round but it was my.only transport at the time and needed to get to work . So I'm on a str8 down hill.strech of road then next thing I remember was my face /lid banging/ scraping along the road . So once i stopped . Sat up . Got the bike out of the middle of the road . All my left side of my black helmet was now showing white undercoat paint my jacket/trousers was bit wet FROM THE ROAD ha ha . Gloves fine theno ly thing that was really damaged was my helmet .. one other thing I'll never use an open face helmet as if I had one them on the I would have lost most my lower face .so full face all the time.