Clutch - Honda CB125F

SusieW

Hi

Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum, but I picked up my first ever bike last weekend - a pre registered CB125F.

I only passed my CBT a fortnight ago, having never ridden a bike before.

So, question... I'm having issues with clutch control pulling away, and changing between 1st & 2nd. I notice that my hand is quite extended when I hit biting point - I only have small hands. Am I making excuses for bad clutch control, or should I adjust the clutch so it bites sooner?

Cheers!

Hi Susie,

Welcome to the forum, I have a CBR125 which IMO is the same bike but with fairing and I find that my hand is over 3/4 extended out by the time I hit the biting point too. I do know you can get aftermarket adjustable levers but I can't comment how good they are as I don't use them.

Thanks for the help!

I've been practicing with the clutch over the last couple of days, and although my hand is almost extended, I'm getting used to the biting point now.

Its a steep learning curve, isn't it?

Cheers!

It may look steep just now but it's more a fun learning curve! You'll sooner or later get used to it and realise that you don't need to squeeze the clutch too much to change gears. Once you know where the bite is, you just need to go there. :P

Remember to have fun out there!

Guest Richzx6r

Though you don't really need the clutch to change up gears apart from 1st to 2nd but always use it to change down the box

Thanks for the help!

I've been practicing with the clutch over the last couple of days, and although my hand is almost extended, I'm getting used to the biting point now.

Its a steep learning curve, isn't it?

Cheers!

Most clutches have the biting point when the lever is towards fully out, it means you get control of the clutch without having to fully pull back the lever. If the reach is uncomfortable look at an adjustable lever, they make life more comfortable.

Though you don't really need the clutch to change up gears apart from 1st to 2nd but always use it to change down the box

Rich, you talking about that technique where you rest your foot under the gear shifter and as you slowly roll off the throttle you flick the gear shifter up to go up a gear? I've never managed to get it to work, must be my technique! :lol:

Guest Richzx6r

Rich, you talking about that technique where you rest your foot under the gear shifter and as you slowly roll off the throttle you flick the gear shifter up to go up a gear? I've never managed to get it to work, must be my technique! :lol:

Yea that's the one, it's easy to do just use the clutch between 1st and 2nd and always on downshifts

There is a knack. I tend to lift the gear lever while accelerating. Yeh gear does not change as the box is Nader load.

Then while keeping pressure on the gear lever fill the throttle off and then on again. As the load comes off the gearbox it will change up.

Repeat as often as required. :D

Blimey, it might be a while before I master that technique! Changing smoothly from 1st to 2nd is what I need to master!

But tell me, last time I was out on the bike, I was in 3rd at a junction. I wanted to change down, but I lost all my gears. I stamped on the gear lever and tried to go through the gears, but the even the display where I see what gear I'm in was blank, apart from 3rd. Eventually I got them back, but any ideas what I did? It happened at least twice.

Guest Richzx6r

I'd say the bike momentarily thought it had a truck gearbox with split gears then realized it's a bike and resumed normal operation

Just been out on the bike and that gear thing happened 3 times! If I've found a false neutral, how do I stop finding it? It's hard enough learning my gears!

Cheers

Just been out on the bike and that gear thing happened 3 times! If I've found a false neutral, how do I stop finding it? It's hard enough learning my gears!

Cheers

I've certainly not heard about this? What year is your CB125F? Have you got any local repairers nearby that's had a look at it, even just to take it in and ask them to see if they can see anything.

do you have anyone who has experience on a bike to see if its bike related or you related.

If your stuck in or out of a gear flick it up a gear then back down, make sure the clutch is pulled well past the bite point and make sure you press lever fully with your foot, practice gear changes in an industrial estate on a weekend or evening, lots of junctions and straight roads to practice up and down changes.

It is all a steep learning curve and it feels like its never ending to start with, once your sorted with one thing you need to start something else, but one day it will all fall into place.

Cheers

I've certainly not heard about this? What year is your CB125F? Have you got any local repairers nearby that's had a look at it, even just to take it in and ask them to see if they can see anything.

It's a 2018, though I'm its first owner as it was pre registered. I rode into Bristol today (first time ever as I'm 10 miles outside) and asked at bike shop. I think it's just my poor technique TBH, by not stopping in 1st gear. On the way back I practised some more, and I didn't lose my gears. They said if it happened again, to rock the bike forwards & back, so feeling a lot better now! It def wasn't a false neutral I found, just poor technique!

do you have anyone who has experience on a bike to see if its bike related or you related.

If your stuck in or out of a gear flick it up a gear then back down, make sure the clutch is pulled well past the bite point and make sure you press lever fully with your foot, practice gear changes in an industrial estate on a weekend or evening, lots of junctions and straight roads to practice up and down changes.

It is all a steep learning curve and it feels like its never ending to start with, once your sorted with one thing you need to start something else, but one day it will all fall into place.

I tried your technique a load of times, but hopefully now I won't keep losing my gears if I make sure I stop in 1st. I'm also less worried about revving it in 1st & 2nd. Every time I'm out on it I learn something new!

You're right, things are starting to fall into place. Next step, to try to master commute into work....

I tried your technique a load of times, but hopefully now I won't keep losing my gears if I make sure I stop in 1st. I'm also less worried about revving it in 1st & 2nd. Every time I'm out on it I learn something new!

You're right, things are starting to fall into place. Next step, to try to master commute into work....

:thumb: Is it a long commute to work? The more you ride the better you'll get, I'm sure in a couple of months time you will be laughing how "easy" it is now. 8-)

:thumb: Is it a long commute to work? The more you ride the better you'll get, I'm sure in a couple of months time you will be laughing how "easy" it is now. 8-)

It's about 10 miles - into central Bristol. I think we can use bus lanes and I'm going to stagger my hours so I can travel when it's quieter to start with. You're right, I'll hopefully find it easy in a couple months, especially now I'm getting to grips with the clutch, etc. And I have only had my bike 2 weeks tomorrow! :D

Hello and welcome . Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate there what with learning to ride your new bike and having to commute on it . Here's an idea . Why not take a day off from it on Saturday but on Sunday , weather permitting , get out into the countryside and take a really long ride out . Make a day if it and hopefully you will begin to relax and enjoy riding your bike just for the pleasure of it . As a byproduct , you will hopefully become much more in tune with the bike . Your actions will become more instinctive and you will return home a better rider . Works for me, even as an experienced rider . Whenever I change bikes I always try to spend a whole day getting to know my new toy .