Almost got killed

newbiker90

Guest Richzx6r

This is something I don't think car drivers get.....even the slowest bike 600cc+ will accelerate 0-60+ in sub 3.5 seconds so if you drive something less than an £150k supercar why even bother

I can attest to this, being the owner of one of these 'slow' bikes, a 650cc Transalp. I regularly am able to filter my way to the front of the queue at a set of lights on my way home from work, and more often than not I'm way down the road before most of the cars have really gotten going. This was not the case on two occasions recently: First one was an M5, fair enough, you pay your £100k you can leave me for dust every day of the week no problem. Today was a.... heck I don't even know what it was, a Toyota Starlet or something equally as tiny... but off we all go, tiny car still behind me, fair enough riding a rally tourer first gear doesn't get you very far, now second gear and really getting going and I hear a dump valve right behind me and this thing really wants me to get out the way. I pull into the left lane and away he goes. I dunno what it was, but it was quick!

Getting back on topic though, in my limited experience I've learnt to avoid any car that actively tries to engage with you in any negative way, be it racing, deliberately awkward road positioning, unnecessary acceleration or braking, whatever... those drivers have ego, and ego is dangerous.

It could have been a starlet or could even have been a pulsar like mine, my pulsar is from 1992 2L turbo with 300 ponies under the bonnet and that does 0-60 in 4.6seconds so while not quite as fast as bikes by car standards its pretty quick and it only cost me 6k

I guess there must have been a gap behind us true, but last time I checked there was not so I guess my brain still had that registered and I went into brain fart mode with seeing oncoming traffic the last thing my mind wanted to do was slow it wanted to complete that overtake and tuck in.

To answer some people’s question I have a Honda Africa twin. 0-60 3.3 the avant rs6 does it in 3.2 and we where going from 30-?? not 0 to ??

Edited by newbiker90

Guest Richzx6r

So being on an Africa twin you should have easily have been able to out accelerate an rs6....just grab some more throttle :thumb:

So your both flooring it and you can't pull back in because there is no gap because of all the traffic behind sorry just doesn't make sense

If I floor my fazer there would be a huge gap within 2 seconds.

Exactly my thoughts.. for there to be no gap behind all the cars behind would need to be accelerating just as fast.

Sounds to me like you wanted to get in front of him and didn’t want to back down and nearly killed yourself. Maybe it’s your way to lift the guilt off your shoulders by saying there was no way to slow down and get behind?

I’d just say I f**ked up, got caught in the moment and nearly done myself in. You’ll learn next time what to look out for instead of acting like it wasn’t your fault.

Sorry if I’m wrong and come across like a dickhead, just putting my 2 cents in

That's how I pictured it when I read it . Couldn't slip in behind ? Oh yeah ? If the guy had floored it then he must have quickly created a space behind himself . This doesn't add up . Sounds like an example of dick measuring that could have had deadly consequences .

So your both flooring it and you can't pull back in because there is no gap because of all the traffic behind sorry just doesn't make sense

Exactly my thoughts.. for there to be no gap behind all the cars behind would need to be accelerating just as fast.

Sounds to me like you wanted to get in front of him and didn’t want to back down and nearly killed yourself. Maybe it’s your way to lift the guilt off your shoulders by saying there was no way to slow down and get behind?

I’d just say I f**ked up, got caught in the moment and nearly done myself in. You’ll learn next time what to look out for instead of acting like it wasn’t your fault.

Sorry if I’m wrong and come across like a dickhead, just putting my 2 cents in

That's how I pictured it when I read it . Couldn't slip in behind ? Oh yeah ? If the guy had floored it then he must have quickly created a space behind himself . This doesn't add up . Sounds like an example of dick measuring that could have had deadly consequences .

I an not that type of person maybe read my response to that idea of there being a gap

So being on an Africa twin you should have easily have been able to out accelerate an rs6....just grab some more throttle :thumb:

Perhaps OP wasn't prepared for a drag race and was not in the best gear or at full throttle for the overtake?

Perhaps OP wasn't prepared for a drag race and was not in the best gear or at full throttle for the overtake?

Its easier to accelerate fully in a car but if he was along side it the laws of physics remain intact and he was accelerating too, if they are both accelerating fully how long do you think it's going to take to open a gap up behind you.

Unless you fancy a drag race which is obviously illegal then the best thing to do is let the muppets go, there are plenty of cars on the road that will keep up with Joe average pulling away on a bike, the idea of pulling away swiftly is to create safe space, if some dick wants to play then it's not safe, you need plan b.

Guest Richzx6r

Rs6 avant is faster at 0-60 in 3.2

Tbh I hadn't checked its time but assumed it would be slower my bad

The moment it became apparent that he was racing (and was fast enough to cause a problem) I'd have indicated left and tucked back in behind him, even if it meant straddling the centre line momentarily whist waiting to be let in. That sounds a lot safer than what actually transpired.

Why give him the finger, just be satisfied with passing him.

Would make me feel better

I understand that it would make you feel better but that single gesture could easily escalate things into a more dangerous situation if the car driver decides to throw caution to the wind and ram your bike. Road rage is best avoided.

Well that didn't take long did it. Your progression on this forum has been:

1. I want a bike but they are dangerous and I'm going to die

2. I'm doing my test soon

3. You are all riding wrong, YouTube says so

4. I got a bike

5. I nearly died trying to be a hero

Call me a dick or whatever but you need to dial it back big time, you are either pushing your luck or bullshitting on the internet - neither is particularly impressive.

It could have been a starlet or could even have been a pulsar like mine, my pulsar is from 1992 2L turbo with 300 ponies under the bonnet and that does 0-60 in 4.6seconds so while not quite as fast as bikes by car standards its pretty quick and it only cost me 6k

Sounds about right.

I would have backed off, as soon as the car started pinning it, especially an RS6 then I would have just slotted in behind.

There is an instruction video on YT that show the riders doing an advanced riding course and the rider was actually riding on the other side of the road and if he didn't feel comfortable he would just pull back in.

There's absolutely no room to be a hero on a bike, trying to prove a point.

I had to give myself a talking to as I went for a double overtake, two cars with about 3 cars lengths between them doing 50 in a 60. I went for it, saw a car coming the other way and instead of pulling in and going straight out again I went for the second car and just got in!.. was stupid and told myself off!

Its all a learning curve, the ultimate price if you mess up

an RS6 will do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, they aren't a slouch. This guy has a CB500, I'm betting the RS6 is easily quicker.

Well that didn't take long did it. Your progression on this forum has been:

1. I want a bike but they are dangerous and I'm going to die

2. I'm doing my test soon

3. You are all riding wrong, YouTube says so

4. I got a bike

5. I nearly died trying to be a hero

Call me a dick or whatever but you need to dial it back big time, you are either pushing your luck or bullshitting on the internet - neither is particularly impressive.

Wow , I thought I was a little direct at times but fair play to you . Tell it like it is mate but there's no need to invite our reckless friend to call you anything .

Why give him the finger, just be satisfied with passing him.

Would make me feel better

I understand that it would make you feel better but that single gesture could easily escalate things into a more dangerous situation if the car driver decides to throw caution to the wind and ram your bike. Road rage is best avoided.

Yep , there are far too many bad bast*rds out there to risk it . You will never win a battle with a car .

As a rule of thumb, if the car has any of the following written on it they are usually going to try and race you.

M series, RS, Type R, ST, Audi.

Always be aware of this and avoid them (Or not if you fancy a bit of fun).

You'll live longer once you realise this.

Never a truer word spoken

Absolutely agree with this. But I go a little further. I am wary of any car of German origins - including skoda and seat.

Mind you, I live near Walsall, where most of the drivers paid their best mate's cousin's next door neighbour to take the driving test for them - everyone here races to get through the lights before they change to Green.

Guest Richzx6r

As a rule of thumb, if the car has any of the following written on it they are usually going to try and race you.

M series, RS, Type R, ST, Audi.

Always be aware of this and avoid them (Or not if you fancy a bit of fun).

You'll live longer once you realise this.

Never a truer word spoken

Absolutely agree with this. But I go a little further. I am wary of any car of German origins - including skoda and seat.

Mind you, I live near Walsall, where most of the drivers paid their best mate's cousin's next door neighbour to take the driving test for them - everyone here races to get through the lights before they change to Green.

Tbh anything with 4 wheels I tend to like getting as far from as is safely possible and I don't care how good a driver they claim to be

You did a normal overtake that turned in to a willy waving contest and felt your ego would be bruised if you pulled back in? Unless it was a super car line up the two of you booting it would have left more than enough space to pull back in. Maybe you were tailgating him up to that point of a clear over take and wound him up? Always back off a few car lengths until the overtake is available, this space then gives you time to assess and then accelerate past and if cars appear you can then pull back in with no harm. Space and time are your friends on a bike :)

Don't be a d*ck and learn from your mistakes, if they want to race or cause you a problem then leave them be as there is no harm pulling over for 5 or the next garage for a drink. People don't care about you until they knock you off and then it is too late.

The point about tailgating is well made. I'm not suggesting the OP was but when km driving the car it's amazing how many bikes sit right on your tail waiting for a gap to overtake. I've done it myself. But I do find overtaking is quicker and safer from further back and it doesn't wind motorists up.