New bike conundrum

MikeHorton

Hello all I'm looking to upsize my bike. My RE Himalayan does all I need but with my wife enjoying being pillion more than even she thought I need something a little bigger for those longer rides.

Currently I'm looking at the Tracer 900gt, Vstrom 1000 or a bmw f800gt.

I know they are all different beasts. I'm looking to buy new and going to hang onto the bike for many years. I will have around £3000 as a deposit. All three have Good finance deals at the moment hence why I've reduced it to these 3 and I'm looking to test ride all 3 next week.

Just looking for people's views, at present I like the tracer and I think the only thing I would need to add is a decent top box its standard level of kit seems quite comprehensive. As for the bmw as per I thing most stuff is an optional extra but the list price is less so I figure price wise there won't be much in it. I'm sure it will come down to the test ride but it's nice to get people's long term ownership views as it's one I want to hang onto.

Thanks in advance, mike

• 1 month later...

Decision made. I Pick up my new tracer 900gt on Sunday. I narrowed it down to 900, vstrom 1000 and the bmw f800gt.

The vstrom didn't feel as comfy my wife really didn't like the pillion seat comfort and position, it felt a bit cheap for the money.

The bmw was Ying and yang put together great, lovely extras on it and was so smooth and responsive to ride but felt way too sporty wrists neck and back didn't approve.

The tracer made us both grin and for the money I think it comes with a great spec. Plus the dealer is one I know and rate

Goodbye himalayan hello tracer

DMC in dudley. Yes I've heard a lot say that about the screen. It was better than the vstrom I'm 5f11 I'll see how I get o then maybe look at the Mra vario as a lot of people rate that as a direct replacement. Can't wait to take it for a little blast on Sunday. I've got a kappa top box going on it too to finish it off

Decision made. I Pick up my new tracer 900gt on Sunday ..... The tracer made us both grin and for the money I think it comes with a great spec. Plus the dealer is one I know and rate.

Goodbye himalayan hello tracer

Looks like you made the right choice for the right reasons - hope you and the wife enjoy many happy miles !

I’m just over 6ft and with the screen in the up position the wind hits me direct in the visor and in the down position the wind hits me about shoulder level. MRA screen gets the best write ups so I think I’ll get one myself, can fault the bike for anything else though it’s more than comfortable 2 up

Well over 200 miles on the first ride and as you say v comfy 2 up. West mids to the elan valley and Aberystwyth and back. No real aches or niggles. I'll be looking to get the replacement screen in a few months or so

IMG-20190707-WA0019.thumb.jpg.b4c2f9bae888e3a445d98e651d46ca3a.jpg