Custom made ear bungs.

Smithers

Who uses custom made ear plugs? For my whole biking career, I've been using cheapish sponge plugs. They're OK but I decided to splash out on some custom made ones today, I've had the impressions taken and will have them on the 30th July. All for the eye watering price of £115 or should I say ear splitting price? :) What's the pros and cons?

I use Cens custom ones for shooting, can't say I've been super impressed with them. Like you the basic ones cost me about the same but I them made the mistake of buying the electronic modules - now if you think the initial cost was bad get this - £479!!!!

Worst decision ever.

For the bike I use EarPeace ones and I'm pretty happy with them. I keep toying with the idea of getting some custom ones for bike use but the whole Cens thing has put me off a bit so I'd be interested to know how you get on.

bit late now to ask that question :lol:

give it 30 days or so and you can give us the pros and cons :mrgreen:

I have been thinking about getting some but its a lot of money just to try them!

I have been thinking about getting some but its a lot of money just to try them!

I'd be very happy to report them on here when I've used them. I spoke to the audiologist at my local Specsavers and he reckons they'll beat the sponge plugs easily. Main reason for change is the consistent and easy fit of them. We'll see??

I'd be very happy to report them on here when I've used them. I spoke to the audiologist at my local Specsavers and he reckons they'll beat the sponge plugs easily. Main reason for change is the consistent and easy fit of them. We'll see??

It would be good to know how you get on with them

I want them for comfort for myself and the wife! She only has small ears and all sponge ones hurt after a while!

I want them for comfort for myself and the wife! She only has small ears and all sponge ones hurt after a while!

Have you tried these for the Mrs Stu?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SLIM-FIT-by-Macks-Ear-Plugs-for-Sleep-10-pairs-ear-plugs-Small-Womans-Kids/254253384866?epid=2256025638&hash=item3b32aec4a2:g:0nkAAOSw~AVYuH0X

I don't get on well with foam ones as I don't like the 'full ear' feeling but I use Macks 44 Specials and they are fine.

Have you tried these for the Mrs Stu?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SLIM-FIT-by-Macks-Ear-Plugs-for-Sleep-10-pairs-ear-plugs-Small-Womans-Kids/254253384866?epid=2256025638&hash=item3b32aec4a2:g:0nkAAOSw~AVYuH0X

I don't get on well with foam ones as I don't like the 'full ear' feeling but I use Macks 44 Specials and they are fine.

Yes

They are a bit better! I need to order some more for her

I use Auritech, my large oppo keeps telling me I shouldn't spit on them, this is a man who let's his dogs lick any scratches/ wounds he might have because dogs have natural antibiotics in their saliva :scratch: ( these are dogs that have also eaten rabbit shit etc :shock: )

I use Auritech, my large oppo keeps telling me I shouldn't spit on them, this is a man who let's his dogs lick any scratches/ wounds he might have because dogs have natural antibiotics in their saliva :scratch: ( these are dogs that have also eaten rabbit shit etc :shock: )

I can't figure that one out either, but then again i have never seen a dog with a sore arse :lol: :thumb:

I use concert ear plugs made by a company called downbeats. They cost me around £5, come in a little metal tub with a key ring attached so you can always carry them with you, I’ve worn them for hours on end and they’ve never been uncomfy.

I did try foam ear plugs once and they made my ears sore and also I didn’t like the noise reduction, could hear my own heartbeat :shock:

I have actually used the downbeats when I went to a few concerts and it was nice to go home with normal hearing rather than being deaf and having the tinnitus ringing for the next 3 days.

I use concert ear plugs made by a company called downbeats. They cost me around £5, come in a little metal tub with a key ring attached so you can always carry them with you, I’ve worn them for hours on end and they’ve never been uncomfy.

I did try foam ear plugs once and they made my ears sore and also I didn’t like the noise reduction, could hear my own heartbeat :shock:

I have actually used the downbeats when I went to a few concerts and it was nice to go home with normal hearing rather than being deaf and having the tinnitus ringing for the next 3 days.

Strangely, that's the one thing about sponge plugs I really like and that's the vast noise reduction you get. I'm just hoping my new ones give that same or similar effect.

I'm on my second set of custom fit guards plugs. I only changed from my first set as I lost one of them.

Much better than foam for me but I know a few people that don't have anything in their ears so everyone is different.

As a man now needing hearing aids, I would advise anyone riding a motorcycle (or shooting, working in a noisy environment etc.....) to always use hearing protection. It takes a long time to realise there's anything wrong with your hearing but, by the time you do, it's too late.

I used Emtec moulded earplugs at work (offshore), but found them painful to wear under a crash helmet. I use foam disposable plugs with a minimum SNR 37db attenuation, which are at least as effective as the Emtecs. I buy them in bulk and they're very cost effective.

@Smithers Do use comms ? I have to use earplugs with my comms or else they're so loud it's painful

I never had the need to use comms, Mrs Smithers won't get on a bike. I just hope she will never change her mind :lol:

As a man now needing hearing aids, I would advise anyone riding a motorcycle (or shooting, working in a noisy environment etc.....) to always use hearing protection. It takes a long time to realise there's anything wrong with your hearing but, by the time you do, it's too late.

I used Emtec moulded earplugs at work (offshore), but found them painful to wear under a crash helmet. I use foam disposable plugs with a minimum SNR 37db attenuation, which are at least as effective as the Emtecs. I buy them in bulk and they're very cost effective.

Spot on; Industry, bikes, and loud music didn't do much for the health of my hearing. Even if your hearing has been damaged, it's important to save what's left. :thumb:

Who uses custom made ear plugs? For my whole biking career, I've been using cheapish sponge plugs. They're OK but I decided to splash out on some custom made ones today, I've had the impressions taken and will have them on the 30th July. All for the eye watering price of £115 or should I say ear splitting price? :) What's the pros and cons?

I use earplugs. I find I get a head ache after a while particularly when on the motorway.

I've tried loads. I find the musician one's best. I got these recently off Amazon. I can still hear the engine and sirens etc but it takes the edge off. They are comfy and have a silicon strap so the go around your neck without dropping them

3 Pairs Filters Concert Ear plugs, Hearprotek Noise Cancelling High Fidelity Earplugs-Hearing Protection for Musicians, Live Music, Drummer, Percussion, DJ & Clubbing https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GSZ5TZF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1KoiDbZYR5FBB