Help Needed - Suzuki TL10005

Mossywirral

I have owned and cherished a Suzuki TL10005 for approximately 18 years and until very recently it has never missed a beat. It is a year 2000 model, a grey import, originally designated for Switzerland and has covered 12,000 miles.

A few months ago it started to run very unevenly between 2000-3000 RPM. Both below and above this rev band it runs fine but this is the band I am using a lot. The fault is not too bad when the motor is cold but gets progressively worse as it gets warmer until it starts cutting out every time I close the throttle.

I've tried checking all the obvious possibilities meticulously, but to no avail. Both the Suzuki main agents in the area do not want to know and have merely advised that the problem could be any one of a number of faults that may give a similar outcome and the only answer is to eliminate them one by one. The cost for them to do this would be prohibitive. However it is also prohibitive for me to do this as I don't have a supply of all the alternative parts needed to run this sort of check.

If anyone who may have experienced something similar could offer any advice or tips I would be very grateful.

Hi and welcome to the forum

Have you synced the throttle bodies? And check the TPS

Also check the voltage at the battery they are known for having low voltage

Welcome.

You may have looked at these already but this is what I'd check;

Compression test

Valve clearances

Spark plugs

Coils,leads and plug caps

Injectors flowing correctly, various companies offer a cleaning service

Fuel pressure ok.pump, filter ,pressure relief valve

Any vac hoses perished

Inlet manifold rubbers perished.

Air filter

Coolant temp sensor

Air temp sensor if it has one fitted

Crank or cam sensor

Blocked breathers

Battery voltage,charging ok

Bad earths

Corroded wiring

CDI unit

Have you tried any vac gauges on it, try to narrow it down to one cylinder?

Does it run rough only when riding it or can you replicate it by just revving it up?

Does it smell or sound as if its running rich or lean? Any black smoke from exhausts?

I too have a Suzuki v-twin, slightly smaller in the shape of an RGV250 :thumb:

I thought I was unusual in owning bikes for a long time . 18 years , what's the mileage may I ask ? I'm going to take a wild guess here . Perhaps the first place to turn your attention to might be the coils and , if it has them , the HT leads . I only mention this because most things that go wrong in this area are often age rather than wear related . https://www.tlzone.net/forums/suzuki-tl1000r-tl1000s-forum/122987-help-how-many-miles-too-many.html#/topics/122987?page=1