Inching along in traffic

Slowside

Assuming you are not filtering and are slowly moving along in a stop-start queue of traffic, what is your preferred method of inching along?

I’m quite happy with slow speed control and can crawl along at a snails pace whilst the traffic is moving.

But when I need to stop and then move forward to close up the 8ft gap that has opened, the process of moving off, feet up on the pegs, slow back down, foot back down and stop smoothly in a gap the length of bed can be a bit rushed. Usually I’ll leave a big enough gap to make this process smooth, but sometimes that isn’t possible.

I see more experienced riders either foot dragging or duck waddling in these situations, but I tend to stick with the feet up and soon as you are moving approach.

Guest Richzx6r

I dont wait in traffic.....ignore dangerous in my mind to be around cars so I get to the front as much as possible so I can get away

As I don't ride to commute I'm rarely in that kind of traffic. If I am I'll filter forward if I can. If for some reason I can't then I'll do a U-turn and go somewhere else. I ride for pleasure not being stuck in traffic.

As per the above, it's better to get past the queues. And if you don't feel comfortable filtering just leave a bigger gap before moving forward.

If I end up queuing, I generally don't bother putting my left foot back on the peg between stops.

And use the rear brake more than the front - it's far gentler than the front and won't transfer weight and upset the balance on dodgy surfaces.

The question was what do you do in the event of inching forward, answers of turn around or filter ain't really helping him lol, sometimes you get stuck in traffic and filtering or u turn is not an option.

If I'm REALLY stuck then leave a decent gap in front and inch along usually with my left foot dangling and braking using the rear break. Then at the very first opportunity bugger off somewhere else.

I have varied my technique, depending on what bike I am riding. My present bike can be ridden very slowly feet on pegs. Other bikes were less stable and I would walk with the bike.