Back narrow lanes.

newbiker90

Guest Richzx6r

30 mph + 30 mph in opposite directions is not 60 mph

Search Mythbusters

You know what, you hit an oncoming vehicle in that scenario and the maths is the least of your problems. You're still dead.

I'm living proof you can survive a head on crash, all be it I broke both my arms and was close to death I'm still here to tell the tale, in mine I was travelling down a narrow rural road as I did on a daily basis to work but my problem was I was 17 with zero hazard perception and thought I was Marc Marquez on my little Honda cg125 and I used to ride the road flat out which was around 65-70 mph there is a nice long straight after which is followed by a blind right hand bend but knowing the road and the bike I would roll off slightly to around 60 and turn in to the right bend and I knew if my front tyre was on a black patch that was just on my side of the centre of the road I would make the corner no problem so I put the front tyre there this day and there ended up being a car coming the opposite direction at the same time and the rest is history as they say, I have also been told it was the speed that saved me if I'd been 5mph slower my head would have entered the windscreen

Search Mythbusters

You know what, you hit an oncoming vehicle in that scenario and the maths is the least of your problems. You're still dead.

I'm living proof you can survive a head on crash, all be it I broke both my arms and was close to death I'm still here to tell the tale, in mine I was travelling down a narrow rural road as I did on a daily basis to work but my problem was I was 17 with zero hazard perception and thought I was Marc Marquez on my little Honda cg125 and I used to ride the road flat out which was around 65-70 mph there is a nice long straight after which is followed by a blind right hand bend but knowing the road and the bike I would roll off slightly to around 60 and turn in to the right bend and I knew if my front tyre was on a black patch that was just on my side of the centre of the road I would make the corner no problem so I put the front tyre there this day and there ended up being a car coming the opposite direction at the same time and the rest is history as they say, I have also been told it was the speed that saved me if I'd been 5mph slower my head would have entered the windscreen

I'm pretty sure we could read that and the result could have been very different. I'm glad you're alive now but IMO that was a silly move to go that fast into a corner on a open road. :shock:

Oh, how are your arms now?

Guest Richzx6r

I'm pretty sure we could read that and the result could have been very different. I'm glad you're alive now but IMO that was a silly move to go that fast into a corner on a open road. :shock:

Yea it was a silly move but I was 17 and stupid, my arms are ok, I cant straighten my left elbow fully and my left hand now looks like that of wolverine's and I broke my right wrist and compressed my left knee cap but I can still play rugby and ride bikes so I'm happy

Yea it was a silly move but I was 17 and stupid, my arms are ok, I cant straighten my left elbow fully and my left hand now looks like that of wolverine's and I broke my right wrist and compressed my left knee cap but I can still play rugby and ride bikes so I'm happy

What a legend, can't believe you still play rugby after all that. #Respect!

Search Mythbusters

but that is impact speed they are investigating .

Note my post states CLOSING speed ..nothing to do with impact forces

Ie

using the stated ruling we all know which may differ

Both drivers at 30mph ..each has a stopping distance of 75ft

so you need to think if another vehicle appears can i stop in the space that does not interfere with their stopping distance which is 75ft at 30mph

but if they are doing 60mph 240ft...

so technically 30mph+30mph that is 75 +75 =150ft

however that is both drivers seeing and reacting at the same instant

so you 30+30=60mph which you allow 240ft / 2 = 120ft to allow for that variance

Guest Richzx6r

What can I say......I'm a god :tumble:

Hmmm - a god would have know there was a car coming the other way - so I have my doubts about your divine status. I think you're just very very lucky.

Yeah that too, I'm told I was 5 minutes from bleeding out