Junctions quiz time

Valko

At a junction where no road has priority, I mean umarked and uncontrolled road crossing of two equal standard roads who goes first and what is the order of crossing in the below scenarios:

0VDviJU.jpg

Xx9XYE8.jpg

From what I remember, the vehicle that is already moving has right of way. If all vehicles are moving, the you usually give way to vehicles approaching from your right.

If an accident was to occur where there are no road markings, then the conclusion can become a 50/50 of who was at fault.

Not sure if that helps or if any of it is true. I’m sure someone will be along to correct me or agree...

Edited by Troy

If all vehicles are moving, the you usually give way to vehicles coming from your right.

There is no priority to the right in the UK except on roundabouts... :D

At a junction where no road has priority, I mean umarked and uncontrolled road crossing of two equal standard roads who goes first and what is the order of crossing in the below scenarios:

0VDviJU.jpg

Xx9XYE8.jpg

In unmarked junctions, no one has priority. I guess it comes down to who is the more courteous driver/rider by letting the other person go first. That's my take on the first photo.

Do such junctions exist ? In my mind's eye I can't picture a junction , no matter how insignificant, without any road markings or a Give Way sign . I'm probably wrong but I'm thinking about having me tea at the moment .

There is a mini roundabout near me, with 3 junctions occasionally 3 cars turn up all at the same time & then there is a short stand off until someone thinks, feck it & goes

Do such junctions exist ? In my mind's eye I can't picture a junction , no matter how insignificant, without any road markings or a Give Way sign . I'm probably wrong but I'm thinking about having me tea at the moment .

[mention]fastbob[/mention], although very rare now, but there definitely is still some still around, as OP has mentioned, it's mainly in residential areas where there isn't many cars around so not enough for the local council to paint the roads. Scanning through the forum, other users have mentioned that there are still some unmarked road junctions near Shieldhall test centre so examiners like to test folk on it, I'm still looking for them but I have heard from my instructor that someone recently failed their test for not noticing it. :?

@fastbob, although very rare now, but there definitely is still some still around, as OP has mentioned, it's mainly in residential areas where there isn't many cars around so not enough for the local council to paint the roads. Scanning through the forum, other users have mentioned that there are still some unmarked road junctions near Shieldhall test centre so examiners like to test folk on it, I'm still looking for them but I have heard from my instructor that someone recently failed their test for not noticing it. :?

I've been in GMaps trying to find the remotest junctions that I know of in Wales and the Scottish Highlands and I haven't found one yet that doesn't have at least a Give Way sign . Even some private farm roads have markings where they join the public road network around where I live .

Depends on many factors, for example if you are coming from a major road into a smaller road and you want to turn right, you actually can come out onto the road and block cars in lane A whilst you are waiting for lane B to have a gap.

You know , the more I think about it, the more improbable it becomes. You just couldn't have a crossroads with no sineage or road markings . Assuming that each road is composed of two lanes ( as in your picture ) and are therefore of equal status to each other , it would be an absolute death trap if there were no markings . Are you suggesting that the broken lines separating the lanes should actually intersect to form a cross in the centre of the junction ? Drawings are one thing but real life is quite different . I would be very interested to see a Streetview image of such a crossroads .

The only time I've ever seen this is where traffic lights have failed at a junction and it comes down to common sense, care and being courteous. I'm sure they do exist but I can't recall ever seeing them other than previously mentioned.

In unmarked junctions, no one has priority. I guess it comes down to who is the more courteous driver/rider by letting the other person go first. That's my take on the first photo.

Only in the UK. Coming from continental Europe where there is priority of the right rule that almost got me mowed down few times when I have tried to cross paths with people on the left side of me :D

The guy asking the question for filtering reminded my of this.

There are shed loads of unmarked junctions in housing estates, use common sense.

Any minor road joining a main road you have to give way to traffic either direction again common sense.

There maybe no priority but if your pulling up to an unmarked junction common sense would tell you to give way to on coming traffic from the right, if you feel like pulling out and going to court to see if you can do 50/50 for blame set yourself away.

No no no , not one of them is a CROSSROADS . In the case of a T junction it's obvious who has priority anyway . Unless you have no sense of self preservation that is .

There certainly are unmarked crossroads in the UK. The test route where I did my test had three and the examiner complimented me on spotting all of them. I didn't like to tell him I'd grown up in that area so I knew where they were.

They deliberately created one outside Chester railway station so everyone slows down because no one is sure who has right of way. It actually works as well.

In answer to the original question the answer is that the taxi driver always has right of way!

The bmw has priority, or at least will always go first. Probs then Audi, or maybe porsche. Unless someone in a modified golf with a spoiler turns up, then they go first. Simple.

No one has priority.

Enter at your own risk....

Just like when you deal with a traffic light controlled crossroads and they are not working.

Proceed with caution.

Don’t they turn certain traffic lights off in certain places of the UK at peak times?

Apparently the junctions have less congestion when people are allowed to deal with them of their own accord and less accidents to boot.