Harley riders make me laugh so much

newbiker90

I ride a Ducati and if nodded to I nod back. A while back I passed a HD club outing and by the time I'd passed about 50 bikes my head felt it was about ready to drop off. I find even BMW GS riders occasionally nod back. The only time I don't return a nod is if I'm rattling along and concentrating on my ride, then I might not even notice.

One thing I've noticed about having a Ducati is random people who arn't on bikes come up and want to talk about it and have seen people taking pictures of it when I've parked it outside the gym, I guess it was a bit rare last year as it was a new model although its happenned recently too, but it has just struck me as odd that there seems to be this kind of reverence for Ducatis, as great as my bike is and as much as I like it, it's not any better than the competition.

Do you or we nod and motorbike cops ????????

I do, most have nodded back, but its a very slow controlled nod, like I'm nodding pal but don't think I'm not watching you :lol:

I'll nod at anyone mind

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys/ Gals. I'm 66. Had bikes in my teens many moons ago.I never took my test. So now i needed to by an affordable 125 cruiser style bike new. Don't laugh,(coz it was just to get me back on the road). It is a lexmoto Michigan. Yes cheap and chearfull i know. And its been very reliable. And comfortable despite it having an eliptical shaped rear tyre. anything over 50,and it feels like i.m riding on a roller coaster. Ok getting back to the nodding of this topic. What is it with you guys on your "Big Bikes". I nod and mostly get ignored by the majority. Most other 125 riders on the "L" plates nod. I did an experiment. I removed the front "L" plate for one ride out to Finchingfield in Essex. If you are a serious bike in Essex you will know this place. Anyway I got nods from everyone of the bikes i saw. I loved it. Went there again following week with "L" plates on. Barely a nod that time. Probable because they were going so fast. But thats another subject close to my heart that I might tell you all about. In brief. My Mums cat got killed by a 1000cc yamaha doing at least a ton on the back roads to Finchingfield.

I'll be back................Dave

attempting to look hard while being bombarded by flies and the occasional explosive bug

:stupid:

Herein lies the answer :D

HD guys are the most likely not to nod. Although sometimes even people on scooters happen not to nod.

I find that most adventure bike and HD riders are the most likely not to nod /wave or whatever and even less so if I'm on the scooter but not entirely unexpected TBH.

Sportsbike riders appear to be most likely to nod irrespective of what I'm riding.

After a couple of weeks trial between here and Banbury my opinion is still the same.

Nodded at a HD rider the other day and he just stared at me :up:

Same with adventure bike riders, they just tend to look past me :up: :up:

And a pat on the back to sportsbike and middleweights, most likely to acknowledge me on the scoot. :thumb:

I find that most adventure bike and HD riders are the most likely not to nod /wave or whatever and even less so if I'm on the scooter but not entirely unexpected TBH.

Sportsbike riders appear to be most likely to nod irrespective of what I'm riding.

After a couple of weeks trial between here and Banbury my opinion is still the same.

Nodded at a HD rider the other day and he just stared at me :up:

Same with adventure bike riders, they just tend to look past me :up: :up:

And a pat on the back to sportsbike and middleweights, most likely to acknowledge me on the scoot. :thumb:

If it was that bunch of wealthy gentlemen on the land barges with apehangers who wobble down to the Long Ichington Diner at 50 mph on a Sunday afternoon then I know what you mean . They're probably still sulking from when I got fed up of dawdling and overtook the whole lot in one go on the ER5. The thing is , it works both ways . Since I've had the Harley I've made a point of nodding at just about anything on two wheels just to see what happens . I get pretty much the same level of response as I have done on any other bike to be honest . I just think this whole thing is a matter of perception . Some people go around nodding their heads off and some don't . There will be days when you meet a majority of one kind and days when you won't . It's far too random an occurrence to be making generalisations about . Another point , how do you tell from head on , closing at speed , that it actually is a Harley coming towards you ? I must admit that I do struggle to tell . The only giveaway is the indicators hanging off the handlebars on Sportsters and many of them are modified. There are quite a few Japanese cruisers that I have to look twice at to determine whether they are HD or lookalike. Anyway , hopefully I'll give you a nod if I see you in time but you'll be going three times faster than me and I'll be worrying about whether I'll get round the next corner . 😉

Edited by fastbob

Try waving at Big Harleys when you're on a Sportster and you will learn the meaning of loneliness . I know my place .....

Try waving at Big Harleys when you're on a Sportster and you will learn the meaning of loneliness . I know my place .....

What is a Big Harley? Are they not all like barges :D

5649815_e3ef1e95.jpg

What is a Big Harley? Are they not all like barges :D

5649815_e3ef1e95.jpg

No ( Ironically there is a canal on the other side of that white wall )

IMG_20190718_211632997.thumb.jpg.7797010c5a5a5c7b5abba8f34c5c79ff.jpg

Edited by fastbob

😍😍 can’t imagine turning it on our small streets

Yes but they have a reverse gear. Still I firstly don't fancy one and secondly can't afford one. I quite like the modern "small" Harley's and when I next get my bike serviced I'll probably get one as a courtesy bike just to try.

Yes but they have a reverse gear. Still I firstly don't fancy one and secondly can't afford one. I quite like the modern "small" Harley's and when I next get my bike serviced I'll probably get one as a courtesy bike just to try.

Perhaps you are thinking of the Goldwing . That does have reverse gear but it is electrically powered .

Perhaps you are thinking of the Goldwing . That does have reverse gear but it is electrically powered .

Yeah you're right. My mate's gold wing has reverse and it's electrically operated. TBH I'm not sure how exactly it works but when I'm wrestling my bike around in a tight parking space he just looks smug and wafts about.

Yeah you're right. My mate's gold wing has reverse and it's electrically operated. TBH I'm not sure how exactly it works but when I'm wrestling my bike around in a tight parking space he just looks smug and wafts about.

Iirc there is a lever that engages a reverse gear that is then operated by the starter motor.

Clever stuff then. Although I'm quite glad the Multistrada doesn't as I would be going backwards on my tiptoes which could be interesting. I'll just put up with the exercise I get heaving it around.

My Harley is very easy indeed to manoeuvre and reverse . The higher bars and lower seat and even the large diameter wheels all help . Compared to my GSXR it's a doddle , that thing was practically immobile once parked . One time I was daft enough to park it facing down hill with the front wheel against a fence on a loose stones car park on a blazing hot day . I had to persuade two passers by to help me drag the thing out of there but they kept grabbing at the plastics. It was at an otter sanctuary near Ottery St Mary and most of the otters were asleep . I've had better days.

• 2 years later...

Why is there a bit of a comedy feel to HD riders ? In America they seem to be the dogs trollox but here they seem a bit of a laugh....before I passed my test I always wanted one but tbh not anymore

Edited by Blackholesun

1 hour ago, Blackholesun said:

Why is there a bit of a comedy feel to HD riders ? In America they seem to be the dogs trollox but here they seem a bit of a laugh....before I passed my test I always wanted one but tbh not anymore

Ask an American. https://tinyurl.com/552fmfzz

Though admittedly this guy has made trolling American HD owners an art form.

But, I think its safe to say that a lot of what he says in that article is what a lot of riders here think too. Unless, that is you ride one. then you either 'get it' or you don't. Up until 2000 a very similar though different attitude was aimed at BMW riders. "Old mens bikes". The idea that they would be anything like they are today would have been utterly preposterous back then.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Ask an American. https://tinyurl.com/552fmfzz

Though admittedly this guy has made trolling American HD owners an art form.

But, I think its safe to say that a lot of what he says in that article is what a lot of riders here think too. Unless, that is you ride one. then you either 'get it' or you don't. Up until 2000 a very similar though different attitude was aimed at BMW riders. "Old mens bikes". The idea that they would be anything like they are today would have been utterly preposterous back then.

I get what you're saying here and it's very true ...... What I've never understood among some riders, is why it matters so much what other people ride?  Thats what I love about motorcycling, it's diverse and individualistic,  but as far as I'm concerned we all share one common love .... Motorbikes!  My mate who was over recently bought a BMW GS1250,  he's been biking all his life, I had a blast on it and it's an absolutely fabulous bike to ride.  The one thing he said though, since buying it, was that he noticed a lot of bikers never nod back anymore, 😄,  he has my attitude though, he says when they don't nod, he just thinks "cock" and rides on with a smile on his face 🤣

• Haha 1