Please help me to read Spark Plugs.

Arturs

Hi All, just removed spark plugs from my 2009 Honda CB1000R, 19k miles, plug nbr.1 and nbr.3 had a little bit of oil on their threads, the most had nbr. 1, starting from left side. And that's the side where is bike stand. Looking at the tips couldn't see any oil residue. Apart from oil, plug nbr.4 seems to run lean. Please could you give me your opinion, starting from where oil is coming from, is it rich/lean etc. For now plan is to put new plugs in till the end of summer, then dig more into it. Any info will be massive help. Thanks in advance.

20190716_202823.thumb.jpg.f57b9b6f86322cd4d7156ff79c2b1f59.jpg

20190716_202746.thumb.jpg.557ee9b72c5f433e5356d2a75d92cd17.jpg

Well, once it sits for like week or so, it cranks over but doesn't start for like 7 seconds, after that its fine on the botton, probably not linked to spark plugs. Apart from that, drives like a litre bike should. Have bike for 2 months, started to do some servicing and these came up.

They're iridium plugs so should last the same mileage again, no sweat.

Where's the oily residue coming from? My bet is a bit of blow by from normal combustion - the crush washers look untouched so I'm guessing the plugs weren't in tight enough.

If it ain't broke don't fix it . If it starts and runs on four cylinders and you are happy with the performance then I wouldn't worry about it .

Years ago I had Ducati monster, I went to service centre in Italy and technicians comments were : Why you touch if it’s works you no touch.

Since then I live with that philosophy and it works :angel12:

Agree with- if it aint broke dont fix it. These machines ar designed to be driver rather than sitting in workshop. I guess I will clean the plugs, put them back and after time remove to check on condition.

Agree with- if it aint broke dont fix it. These machines ar designed to be driver rather than sitting in workshop. I guess I will clean the plugs, put them back and after time remove to check on condition.

My bike has iridiums as standard and they are checked once at 16,000 miles and replaced at 32,000.