ER5 tight front wheel

M4man

Doing a 2000 Er5 up as a light restoration. Bike has been in the previous owners garage unused for some time. I set about removing the front wheel to remove the front forks and noticed that the spindle nut (not pinch bolt) was very loose and the wheel rotated freely. I did the job on the forks and when I fitted the front wheel back in place I couldn't put the correct torque on the spindle nut without the wheel stiffening up to the point where it was difficult to move at all. I've checked to see if any components are missing from the spindle assembly but that doesn't appear to be a problem. Getting frustrated now because it must be something simple. Any ideas anyone?

Guest Richzx6r

It could be that the geometry of the forks might be off slightly so that the axle is pinching where it isn't quite lined up properly? Either that or the brakes are binding on slightly

First reaction , the spacer between the bearings is missing . What about the speedo drive , is that all lined up ok with the pegs in the slots ? Post pics and I'm more than happy to help . I can post corresponding pics if need be . Something isn't right and that loose bolt is a clue . PS , does the floating caliper actually float ?

Had another thought , is the fat end of the spindle properly located in the RH fork ? Try assembling without the pinch bolt and then put it back afterwards .

Edited by fastbob

Speedo drive misaligned! Thanks everybody, lesson learnt there...

Your welcome , any ER5 queries just throw them my way .