Yamaha NMax Not Starting/Buzzing Noise

Mikes100mph

Hey I own a 2017 Yamaha NMax 125cc. This is the first bike Ive owned; I have very basic knowledge surrounding mopeds/scooters.

On my way home last night, I stopped for about 30mins to use the bike to charge my phone using the charger port the NMax provides. When I wanted to continue my journey home, the bike would no longer start.

When I attempt to start the bike I hear a loud buzzing noise and the engine does make noise as if it’s about to start but does not completely get going. Also, the lights on the dashboard flicker whenever I attempt to start the bike. When the key is in, the indicators and horn works fine.

Im assuming it’s the battery which may be low or maybe an issue with the solenoid but I wanted to come to this forum for advice before visiting a mechanic (mechanics/garages for mopeds/scooters around my area of London have a shady reputation so would prefer to DIY).

Any response to this thread is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PS. Is it advisable to attempt to charge the NMax’s battery using a car battery? May attempt this when I return from work today.

Get a specific charger for a motorbike battery. Bike batteries aren't big and are soon discharged. Get a charger that also keeps your battery in condition too. I use an Oxford one, can't remember the exact model number but they are a sound investment.

Dave

You can jump start a bike from a car battery ( it's not advisable to do so with the car running though)

You can slave feed from a car battery ie similar to jump start but not starting it instantly .Connect leads and leave connected for 10-15 mins then disconnect and start bike .

To use a charger they generally has to have a 1Amp or less charging mode which most car chargers do not have and will not recognise the battery .

Probably time for a new battery . It sounds as if it's just hanging in there if charging a phone has reduced the voltage enough to stop the bike starting . Don't put it off too long or the next thing to go could be your regulator and that will cost you more money .