Scotland

fastbob

All this talk of midges amuses me. Midges very, very rarely bite me! :lol:

Sorry you seem to be getting all the horrible people on the camp sites this time Bob, some people are simply in the wrong job!

You have no concept of a gathering of Highland midgies is all I can say to that 😁

Sorry you seem to be getting all the horrible people on the camp sites this time Bob, some people are simply in the wrong job!

It's a strange but true fact that some people are not bothered at all by midges . I've been bitten to the point of screaming and seen people strolling around like they weren't there .

Right , that's it , I've had enough now and I'm coming home . Freezing cold horizontal rain and no let up forcast . Think I'll make for the lake District as a stop over . This is going to be grim .

I did spare a thought for you as I watched the forecast, didn't look good, safe trip back

Cheers mate , most of the journey will probably be dry , it's just here where the rain is .

Screenshot_20190703-081016.thumb.png.8ead5b81b80bb3757a5a2e3cb27d5266.png

You have no concept of a gathering of Highland midgies is all I can say to that 😁

I've lived in and traveled throughout Scotland my whole life. Trust me, I know about swarms of midges!

Apparently it's something to do with blood type. Midges prefer some blood types over others. But as I have no idea what blood type I am, I cannot confirm it :lol:

It's been another scorching day over on the east side of the country Bob!

Yea I have taken people camping in scotland who don't get bitten and who know what midgies are like, some from Scotland, one ended up with socks on hands and nickers on head, but if your immune then they should put you in a bottle.

Lol that must have been a sight Bender :lol: I wouldn't say I was immune as such… on the very rare occasion I do get bit (only ever happened when I put insect repellent on :roll: ) the bite blows up to around a 10p size and looks like a puss filled blister.

So, hang on, did you get to Skye? :scratch:

No , the weather in Ullapool was so horrible and the bike was acting up a bit so I just couldn't face it . I left Ullapool and headed south . When I got to Abington Services I googled campsites and found an absolute gem of a site nearby on the road to Leadhills . For once , friendly people , homely facilities, amazing location , and all for £7.00 . A great nights kip and now I'm at Gretna Services .

IMG_20190704_070437096.thumb.jpg.9fae35426bd3c60adf14bc3539ecfe8a.jpg

PhotoEditor_20190704_204944934.thumb.jpg.f587fabd108b21ef3ee11d6876eff214.jpg

Edited by fastbob

Home in one piece , not my best Scotland adventure but you can't win them all . And wouldn't you know it , it's blazing hot here . I feel like I have just time travelled back to winter .

Good to see you back to sunshine, it can be hit and miss, I prefer going in winter, not on the bike obvs lol least then you know it's going to be crap but at least the tourists have gone, nowt like -15 to clear a glen.

Thinking of doing Scotland next year but, when is the best month to avoid the midges ?

Have a great time Bob :thumb:

Avon Skin So Soft (Original) is your friend.

We were up there the first week in May, there was no midges then, however we nearly died of hyperthermia, weather was kind but freezing, the year before was scorchio. If you get chance to go again I would definitely recommend the ferry from Mallaig to Armadale its only £8 and back across the bridge :thumb:

Thinking of doing Scotland next year but, when is the best month to avoid the midges ?

Have a great time Bob :thumb:

Avon Skin So Soft (Original) is your friend.

We were up there the first week in May, there was no midges then, however we nearly died of hyperthermia, weather was kind but freezing, the year before was scorchio. If you get chance to go again I would definitely recommend the ferry from Mallaig to Armadale its only £8 and back across the bridge :thumb:

Best way to do it

• 2 weeks later...

@Pie man Is that with a Motorbike or by foot ?

Taa

apologies just seen this. With Bike :thumb:

Edit: The ferry is great, £5 for the bike £3 for you :D :shock: You can get some light refreshments on board from the little cafe/shop area. Plenty of seating. Bikes are strapped down by the crew, crossing is fine though. :thumb: No duty free though :roll: the ride from Onich to Mallaig is brilliant, the road from Armadale to Portree is even better :thumb: :cheers: