Drink driving.

Smithers

Tee total for nine years now so it's not an issue with me . Quitting was one of the best things I've ever done and I would recommend it to anyone . The only issue I have now is that as soon as I mention that I have quit drinking it is implied that I must have had a serious problem which wasn't really the case. Cheers !

How long does alcohol stay in your blood? On average, it takes about 1 hour for your body to break down 1 unit of alcohol. However, this can vary, depending on: your weight.

As well depend what is the one unit glass or bottle :angel12:

Bit of science

Alcohol is a depressant that has a short life span in the body. Once alcohol has entered your bloodstream, your body will begin to metabolize it at a rate of 20 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) per hour. That means that if your blood alcohol level were 40 mg/dL, it would take about two hours to metabolize the alcohol.

Alcohol is metabolized at a constant rate, but some people may feel the effects of alcohol for longer amounts of time. That’s because blood alcohol concentrations can vary among people and situations. Blood alcohol concentration (BAC) refers to the amount of alcohol in your blood in relation to the amount of water in your blood. For example, if two people each have blood alcohol levels of 20 mg/dL, the alcohol will metabolize in about an hour in each person, but their BACs can be very different.

Numerous factors can affect BAC and how you react to alcohol, including:

weight

drinking alcohol on an empty stomach

medications

liver disease

drinking many drinks in a short period of time, which is also known as binge drinking

It’s also important to know how much alcohol is in your drink, because that will determine how long it takes to metabolize your drink. For example, some beers have a higher alcohol content, which affects how much alcohol you’re consuming from one drink.

The following are general estimates for how long it takes to metabolize different alcoholic beverages, though these times will vary depending on the amount of alcohol in the beverage:

Type of alcoholic beverage Average time to metabolize

small shot of liquor 1 hour

pint of beer 2 hours

large glass of wine 3 hours

a few drinks several hours

There are certain steps you can take to help reduce the effects of alcohol.

Food may help your body absorb alcohol.

Water can help reduce your BAC, though it will still take one hour to metabolize 20 mg/dL of alcohol.

Avoid caffeine. It’s a myth that that coffee, energy drinks, or any similar beverages alleviate intoxication quicker.

Guest Richzx6r

Personally I think you should be able to have a pint, I can have a pint and it doesn't affect my cognitive ability at all, that is at about pint 5 or 6 that I start feeling it so no I don't think it should be a zero tolerance

The evidence would suggest otherwise, although we could all blether on about this till we're blue in the face, whether you feel alcohol affects your driving ability or not is subjective and dependant on many variables, one pint of normal beer is three units, stronger lager or beer increases that number. Personally, if I'm driving, the vehicle stays at home. The evidence would suggest that 2 units of alcohol increases reaction time by 0.2 seconds, again there are many variables to be taken into consideration, whilst some people may feel that this is also subjective there is research based evidence out there to support it. I respect anyones right to do what they feel is right for them, as for me, if I was to ever hit anyone, and god forbid I ever did, I would like to have a clear conscience that the one pint I had drank hadn't made that difference to my ability

https://www.the-alcoholism-guide.org/alcohol-driving.html

That is fair enough, though until such point as they bring in a total 0% alcohol consumption and driving I shall continue to have the 1 pint

Personally I've had one of those craft beer cans (330ml) in lunchtimes when it's a very hot day and I happen to be eating out with friends, by the time I eventually ride home 4hours have passed and I've felt completely fine. I have been told that there may still be some traces of alcohol in my system though so I don't tend to do it very often. Craft beers tend to be slightly more alcoholic than the standard lagers that are available on draft so I do make sure I'm careful and stick mainly to the low alcoholic ones when I do go for one. :)

I will have 2 pints and drive :shock:,

2 pints of shandy that is and I always ensure they are min half lemonade, it means longer time taken to drink and it has something to help the dilution.

I have a calibrated home breathalyser it makes the morning after interesting, often when feeling rough as fook it shows clear and sometimes when you feel fine it says no, so don't ever rely on how you feel.

Although having the equivalent of one pint is way under the limit I can still tell I have had that pint, I know the breathalyser is accurate as I had it backed up by plod one night, got pulled 100ft from pub.

You're right people will always break the law if they think they can get away with it. It's the consequences if you're caught or in an accident or worse that has to be the deterrent I reckon.

The problem is you can bring in excessively harsh penalties and if the chance of getting caught is very low no one is going to care. I was up in North Wales area and there where signs saying £1000 for dogs fouling canal banks, there was plenty. People obviously knew they would never get caught.

I think the best deterrent would making it easier for the police to catch and charge drink drivers, tailgaters, middle lane hogs, mobile phones drivers, kids without lights on pushbikes, dog fowlers, litter louts etc etc Presently you cannot help but feel they have to go to extreme lengths to make sure its not entrapment etc.

:thumb:

Personally I think you should be able to have a pint, I can have a pint and it doesn't affect my cognitive ability at all, that is at about pint 5 or 6 that I start feeling it so no I don't think it should be a zero tolerance

The evidence would suggest otherwise, although we could all blether on about this till we're blue in the face, whether you feel alcohol affects your driving ability or not is subjective and dependant on many variables, one pint of normal beer is three units, stronger lager or beer increases that number. Personally, if I'm driving, the vehicle stays at home. The evidence would suggest that 2 units of alcohol increases reaction time by 0.2 seconds, again there are many variables to be taken into consideration, whilst some people may feel that this is also subjective there is research based evidence out there to support it. I respect anyones right to do what they feel is right for them, as for me, if I was to ever hit anyone, and god forbid I ever did, I would like to have a clear conscience that the one pint I had drank hadn't made that difference to my ability

https://www.the-alcoholism-guide.org/alcohol-driving.html

That is fair enough, though until such point as they bring in a total 0% alcohol consumption and driving I shall continue to have the 1 pint

• 2 weeks later...

There was once a time when we had traffic cops and motorway cops that dealt with these issues.

Drink driving is one of the worst crimes anyone can commit in my opinion. Going out getting deliberately drunk and making the decision to drive or ride is appalling.

I have seen the direct results of drink drivers who've just had a couple or thought they were ok.

It is totally unavoidable.

Dave

I do quite like the french driving law of having breathalisers in the vehicle at all times.

We ended up with ours still on our bikes coming back and it's nice to know that you have a way to check your own levels at any time.

I think mostly so for the morning after a heavy night camping with biker mates :shock:

P.s. Yes, I know it would lead to people checking "How close to the limit they are" before getting behind the wheel, but at least it's a little chance to make people have a second thought.

Guest Richzx6r

I do quite like the french driving law of having breathalisers in the vehicle at all times.

We ended up with ours still on our bikes coming back and it's nice to know that you have a way to check your own levels at any time.

I think mostly so for the morning after a heavy night camping with biker mates :shock:

P.s. Yes, I know it would lead to people checking "How close to the limit they are" before getting behind the wheel, but at least it's a little chance to make people have a second thought.

Were you feeling slightly worse for wear after our camping trip then gin? I thought it was just the hayfever you were suffering with

Were you feeling slightly worse for wear after our camping trip then gin? I thought it was just the hayfever you were suffering with

Hah! Yeah that one was just Hayfever :mrgreen: That really f**king sucked too, was out of action the whole day... Worse than being hungover!

Was more thinking of previous rallies where people have left on the Sunday morning after a HEAVY karaoke session on the Saturday night (sometimes after sleeping under a picnic bench when they forgot to bring a tent... :shock: )

I have definitely worried about people until I've seen them post on the check in thread.

My 2p worth...

I think the 35mg per 100ml breath is not far off what it should be. I think 30 would be better personally, but definitely not zero.

There needs to be a balance. The onus of responsibility will always be with the driver/rider and unfortunately some people are just scumbags.

I’ve stopped loads of people who I thought were well over the limit, they weren’t. On the flip side I’d turned up at accidents and took samples of breath, thinking there was no issue, and they are well over.

Just a few myths to dispel though...

There is a sliding scale for fines and length of ban.

Prescription drugs like Tramadol or anti depressants could also see you with a ban, same as drink driving.

Sleeping in the back of your car, pissed, with the keys on you won’t automatically see you knocked (f**kin stupid though)

Drug kits and field impairment testing (like the American sobriety test) is becoming wider used now

My 2p worth...

I think the 35mg per 100ml breath is not far off what it should be. I think 30 would be better personally, but definitely not zero.

There needs to be a balance. The onus of responsibility will always be with the driver/rider and unfortunately some people are just scumbags.

I’ve stopped loads of people who I thought were well over the limit, they weren’t. On the flip side I’d turned up at accidents and took samples of breath, thinking there was no issue, and they are well over.

Prescription drugs like Tramadol or anti depressants could also see you with a ban, same as drink driving.

Sleeping in the back of your car, pissed, with the keys on you won’t automatically see you knocked (f**kin stupid though)

Drug kits and field impairment testing (like the American sobriety test) is becoming wider used now

Before the limit is lowered I want 2 things: first more enforcement of the current law

second I want evidence that people who are under the present limit are having a lot of accidents due to being drunk, so far I've seen nothing and when the limit went down in Scotland the accident rate stayed the Same.

My 2p worth...

Before the limit is lowered I want 2 things: first more enforcement of the current law

second I want evidence that people who are under the present limit are having a lot of accidents due to being drunk, so far I've seen nothing and when the limit went down in Scotland the accident rate stayed the Same.

Which current law?

If you are referring to the current drink drive law, then I’m not sure I follow?

Drink driving is an absolute offence. There is no discretion or getting off. Your losing your license.

Until you give every member of public the right to stop another driver and request a specimen of breath, then people are always obviously going to get away with it. Until they f*ck up and crash or hurt someone. Game over.

Do you honestly believe that people who are impaired through drink or drugs are not at much greater risk of causing accidents?

The figures shouldn’t be about accident, most of the drink drivers that get caught will be because their driving was so w**k someone’s called it in, or old bill have seen them drive so bad. Preventative measures.....

My 2p worth...

HEY! :mrgreen:

There's a face I've missed! :love:

I don’t hear that much :wink:

Hope you are well? :thumb:

Life's good, I really hope things are well with you too :D

'Old Bill'.

Back in the day, our local 'Bobby' would call into the village pub and check all was OK - Before entering, he would check who's car(s) were outside and make a point of speaking with the owner (on any topic that sprang to mind) and, if he thought he had 'had a few', then he would ask for the keys and advise he would drop them off at his house the next morning.

This worked very well and if the car owner started to argue, the Bobby would ask if he wished a nice air conditioned room (cell) for the night - free of charge.

These tactics were very effective and the Bobby was well liked by the majority of the village folk (including kids).

So - What we need is more 'beat cops' living and working with the community.

Not sure it would work in Towns or Cities though :popcorn:

So - What we need is more 'beat cops' living and working with the community.

What a shame their numbers have been slashed in the last decade, funding crippled and recruitment stalled. :roll:

But at least current PM gets to boast he's going to add more police to the force, with no mention it was his government that cut them in the first place.... :evil:

It dont make s single difference if there more or less cop on the road/patrolling streets till they deal with the brain dead judges and build more jails there must be nothing more demoralising to coppers who spent ages time and effort dealing with the crime injured ppl arresting the scumbag making sure all the evidence is correct and going to court then the brain dead judge says suspended sentence. Or community order. What was the bloody point . If they not going to be locked up then as far as I'm concerned they got off with it..

EVEN if they send the scumbag down . It's for a joke .. and then you only do half the time IF YOUR LUCKY ..

Car driver killed a biker .drove into the biker becuse he didnt look .and had no mirror on his car his mrs knocked it off.. so he changes lanes hits a biker knocks him in to a lamppost kills him .... 20 months but only do less than 10 .also banned for 2 years WHILE HE IN JAIL fat lot a use that ban will be oooooo has to do a extended driving test

That will teach him ..

Also he was high on drugs .. weed .. his defense in court was weed dont affect me as I was over the limit while i was doing my driving test ...

WELL THATS OK THEN

How cheap is human life ..

More prisons more judges who are in this world .. and the victims familys must have a say in the punishment NOT THE GOVERMENT ..

And the biker in question had a 1 year old son .. not long been married new house .whole life ahead of him WASTED

So cops wont stop the crime if they dont get punished.. ..

Why.would you join the cops to have this bullshit ..

Even when you do you job that the MET boss had approved you get suspended when you do the manover knocking scum off bikes .. . Why would the ppl do the job of the police when you got that crap hanging over you .