Test rides

JustaTwist

Just wondering to see if any of you have experience of having a test ride but not buying the bike immediately?

Looking at getting either a V-Strom 650 or Versys 650 but want to test ride them first to help me make a decision.

Just wondering how much pressure the dealer will put on me to make a decision as soon as I step off the bikes?

I’m one of those people who need to mull it over for a couple of days before making a decision but I’m wondering if this means I’m unlikely to get a test ride?

Just be honest with the dealer tell them that you have two bikes in mind and say I'll let you know ince you've had your test rides. If they then don't give you a test ride then consider what the service will be like if something goes wrong with the bike. They want to sell bikes so should be bending over backwards so you'll buy ine. If they don't personally I would walk away.

Dave

I'm fairly sure that some people spend all weekend " Test riding " just for something to do so I wouldn't worry about it .

Before I got my Harley I went to a few official dealerships . The first thing I said when I was approached was that I had no intention of buying a new bike and that if I bought second hand it would be a private sale. Nonetheless I was still treated with the utmost courtesy and all my questions were answered in a friendly way . I was encouraged to sit on some bikes and the guy even held one upright so I could see how I liked the forward controls . I was then offered a test ride but I declined . So it goes to show that a little honestly up front isn't a bad thing . Free coffee too 👍

Thanks all for your replies, I sent the dealership a message and they got back to me pretty quickly about arranging test rides. Hopefully I’ll like one of them and it’ll make it an easy decision. If I like both then that’s when the difficulty starts 😂

A good dealer will let you test ride anything as they want your future custom.

Yesterday I went into Wheels of Peterborough and spoke to them about the Kawasaki H2SX SE, told them I would be in the market for either one of these or a new Z1000SX sometime next year, Half an hour later and a bit of paperwork, they gave me the keys to the £20k beast below.

https://imgur.com/wl2Pv50

I rode it around the countryside for the next 90 minutes and now I need a surgeon to get the smile off my face. :D

And when I do decide to buy a new bike I will definitely be contacting them to see what deals they have to offer, even though I live 150 miles away.

So don't be afraid to ask, you should never buy a bike until you've rode it and a good dealer appreciates this.

Test rode an Striple RS at Woburn. Went out for an hour and when I returned there was absolutely no hard sell. They just asked if I had enjoyed it and when I was ready to come back.

Dealerships expect test rides, do it and then make up your mind. A good dealership won't pressure you.

I've had the guy at the local BMW dealership call me about booking one in as I enquired about the new S1000RR, I am genuinely interested in it but was pretty up front I was waiting to see what was going on with the new Honda that's meant to be revealed later in the Year and that I'd get one next spring if I wanted one as the wait is pretty long at the moment and I'd not want to get it in the middle of winter, he was pretty cool with that and is still happy to let me test ride one.

As has been said, most dealers are absolutely fine with working to your time scales. I've been trying to test ride bikes since the start of the summer, as lighter replacement for my F700. They have all been very accommodating, and not pushy at all. I make it clear to them that I am looking for the "right bike", not just "a bike". So it is not a spur of the moment decision I will make.

Even though they are not push, they are very helpful and encourage me to try all sort of bikes they have in.

Something something Yesterday I test rode a Kawasaki H2SX SE something something

How was it & what did you think of it?

It’s a fantastic bit of kit, the power and torque just keep coming and coming it hits 130 in seconds and then you have to put it in 4th gear :shock: Corners like it’s on rails, feels really planted even when leant right over.

All in all a quite superb machine, but worth £20k? Or even £24k for the SE+ model?

Nah not unless you’re a lottery winner and money is no problem.

Guest Richzx6r

The dealer I got my ninja 636 from said a test ride wasnt possible on any of the bikes he has and just said he had ridden them and he knows they are fine which I found odd but having a zx6r as my previous bike I know what to look for so I got that one

It’s a fantastic bit of kit, the power and torque just keep coming and coming it hits 130 in seconds and then you have to put it in 4th gear :shock: Corners like it’s on rails, feels really planted even when leant right over.

All in all a quite superb machine, but worth £20k? Or even £24k for the SE+ model?

Nah not unless you’re a lottery winner and money is no problem.

I agree it's a bit steep. If it's worth it though...

The dealer I got my ninja 636 from said a test ride wasnt possible on any of the bikes he has and just said he had ridden them and he knows they are fine which I found odd but having a zx6r as my previous bike I know what to look for so I got that one

That is odd. Yes they may be fine to you Mr Dealer but are they the right bike for a potential buyer that going to spend £k's of hard earnt money

I'd not be buying a bike without a test ride. The guy clearly doesn't want to sell to you if that is what he is saying. So I'd take my business and hard earned money elsewhere.

Guest Richzx6r

I'd not be buying a bike without a test ride. The guy clearly doesn't want to sell to you if that is what he is saying. So I'd take my business and hard earned money elsewhere.

Yeah I'm kinda wishing I'd gone to triumph or somewhere and got the tiger 1200