Module 1 - members test experiences

Hi peeps,

So good news and bad news. The good news is I passed mod1 yesterday (with 2 minors - under speed and fig of 8).

Bad news is on the way back I got tooo excited and let the clutch out whilst still in first. End result - now sitting in a walk-in centre for a sprained left thumb. :lol:

Mod 2 training booked for tomorrow already and no cancellation though. So a ton of painkillers then! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would post up my experiences and "tips"...

I passed my Mod 1 yesterday at the Oxford Utd football ground which to be honest looks a lot less stressful than an official test centre. (one with gates and fence around it) This is at the side of the ground in a car park and when you do the fast stuff, you actually go around the back of the stadium out of sight to turn around before re entering. The tasks are laid out different as well.

So on arriving the most important thing is to relax. My nerves were sky high, hand shaky and feeling sick!.. My name was called, did the paperwork bit and started the test.

Shoulder check Left...Shoulder check right then begin, my advice is to take your time, don't rush and repeat in your head what you have to do for that task, forget what's coming up, concentrate on the one your on and think about all the YouTube videos you've been watching :D

Work out the gears for the fast stuff on the controlled stop, as you do this you can feel for how fast the bike will pick up. My bike was the Z650 and although the bike was telling me to shift to 3rd I found leaving it in 2nd gave a much faster acceleration and hit 55kmph for the ESTOP and 56Kmph on the swerve.

Also, for the U-turn/Slalom/8, make sure you look where your ending up, not where your going.. by fixing on a point or the next bit and letting the bike flow round is how you do it!. bit hard to explain, but it works.

Anyway, there's my little added bit, I now have Mod2 to crack next week! wish me luck :cheers: !

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Mod 1 today this is my 2nd attempt.

My first test I put my foot down on the U turn my fault.

The second one which can I add I had to wait 2weeks for resulted in a fail due to a missed observation.

I moved off at the start of the u turn procedure, made all my checks before moving off.

However after travelling forward a failed to do a shoulder check. Straight fail- zero minors

Well and truly gutted as this was my 2nd time.

As the saying goes

THREE TIMES A LADY!

Hi all,

Mod 1 today this is my 2nd attempt.

My first test I put my foot down on the U turn my fault.

The second one which can I add I had to wait 2weeks for resulted in a fail due to a missed observation.

I moved off at the start of the u turn procedure, made all my checks before moving off.

However after travelling forward a failed to do a shoulder check. Straight fail- zero minors

Well and truly gutted as this was my 2nd time.

As the saying goes

THREE TIMES A LADY!

Sorry to hear that Ash, you'll get the next one! Did the examiner stop it right there or did you still get to complete the other exercises for practice at least?

I think the whole test process for bikes is flawed. Makes some money to cover their costs I guess but for road users, especially more experienced ones, the tests are rubbish in my view. Did that missed check over your shoulder in a car park make you a danger on the road? No. If they are checking you can handle a bike at low speed then check that. Don’t check observations when there is nothing to observe. It’s ridiculous.

I think the whole test process for bikes is flawed. Makes some money to cover their costs I guess but for road users, especially more experienced ones, the tests are rubbish in my view. Did that missed check over your shoulder in a car park make you a danger on the road? No. If they are checking you can handle a bike at low speed then check that. Don’t check observations when there is nothing to observe. It’s ridiculous.

I watched a kid on a bike come within inches of being wiped out this morning, all for the lack of looking over his shoulder.

There's a reason shoulder checks are called lifesavers. The point of doing them during Mod 1 is to ram it home so it becomes an automatic reflexive action.

With regard to the missed life saver I understand the fail.

My previous fail was for a love tap (foot down) on the uturn.

Just frustrated and gutted all for that. I also feel

If the fault was dangerous why the test wasn’t aborted-and why was I allowed to continue.

Also I’m told in certain circumstances you can be asked to complete manoeuvres again?

Fall over and the test will be aborted, they don't want you to fail it's not personal, foot down is not dangerous it's just showing your control is not up to scratch and its a fail, take the extra practice, take it on the chin and good luck next time

• 2 weeks later...

In the spirit of contributing something back, just completed my MOD1 yesterday at Kettering test centre.

The place itself is very open and modern, with plenty of conveniently placed parking. Just don’t park in the bay closest to the gates, else you will need to execute a u-turn just to get into the paddock.

Examiner was a very nice guy called Nick. Top marks to him for putting me at ease before and during the test.

Managed to pass with no faults. Overall I felt a little awkward due to nerves, but having completed dozens of mock tests beforehand it all went without a hitch.

As someone who has always found slow speed handling that hardest part of riding, none of it was overly challenging. The high speed manoeuvres are among the easiest to pull off in my experience since they are at the bikes happy speed. 50-60kmh is really where a modern 600 is in its element, with bags of grip and stability. You just look where you want it to go.

This test really is mind over matter. Easy to say now (was a bag of nerves before hand), but anything you can do to loosen up will go a long way to get your through the test.

Top tip, have a procedure for each stop and start and take lots of time. Mine was stop, life savers each side, neutral, listen to next instruction, LONG SLOW BREATH, click into 1st, life savers again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi. I passed my mod1 today first time !

It’s been a journey 3 goes to do CBT , 2 goes at theory I didn’t think I would pass first time .

I did my training at BCMT in Tipton they are amazing .

So I get to the training centre for my lesson we did a practice and was ok but feeling nervous then we rode to test centre we arrived early they said I could take test early I said ok let’s get it out the way 😂

The examiner looks at the bike and seat they have modified the seat as in only 5 ft one so he was checking it was safe and good to go .

I’m only little so knew the manual handling would be a struggle it was the longest time and I nearly failed as was struggling to get stand down . I did it eventually he later said he nearly stopped the test as was taking too long lok .

Got one minor for that .

Figure of 8 & slalom was a blur I thought I fluffed it but he wanted me to carry on.

Perfect uturn was chuffed with that . Then it was onto the speed trap . I had a practice he said what did I do wrong I didn’t know 😂 I didn’t go through the cones correct round the curve but so we did and was bang on.

Then did the swerve went the wrong way as I had only every practiced going to the right and this was was to the left !

Had one last goo and just did it.

I thought it was slow so was ready to say I failed .

Got back he said I passed I burst into tears

Still in shock and got mod 2 booked .

It’s hard riding when you short but I love it and so determined to pass . I can’t Wait

My advice is stay calm and breathe you can do it !

X