Real motorsport!

MikeHorton

I still love watching speedway as a kid Eric Gunderson was one of my heroes. Sadly my local track in Cradley Heath where many of the greats raced was flattened for housing!

I remember watching this clip on the news at the time!

">

I went to to see the speedway at Brandon Stadium near Coventry a long time ago and didn't much care for it to be honest. However, for those that do there appears to be a glimmer of hope. https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-bees-brandon-stadium-rugby-16257334

I went to to see the speedway at Brandon Stadium near Coventry a long time ago and didn't much care for it to be honest. However, for those that do there appears to be a glimmer of hope. https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-bees-brandon-stadium-rugby-16257334

I guess it's a marmite sport, I like it as its not expensive and really inclusive for families. I go to Wolverhampton now to watch the heathens at their temporary home with the wolves. Some matches are free for kids and the riders always go over to the kids at the end for photos and autographs.

What about cycle speedway?

I've driven past this track near Hailsham, Sussex often, and its left me puzzled.

I must admit I haven't researched it but as a simple man thinking simply, how does it work, in that it's called speedway? :scratch:

Can't see them cornering in the same manner as the motorbikes.

What about cycle speedway?

I've driven past this track near Hailsham, Sussex often, and its left me puzzled.

I must admit I haven't researched it but as a simple man thinking simply, how does it work, in that it's called speedway? :scratch:

Can't see them cornering in the same manner as the motorbikes.

You are quite correct, they don’t corner as a “normal” bike.

When they get to a corner the wind on the throttle to get the rear tyre to break traction, they then counter steer with the front using their body weight, throttle & clutch to get the required line angle & grip.

It’s a much misunderstood and under appreciated skill.

I was gutted when Brandon shut down & Coventry Bees were disbanded, used to go up half dozen times a season.

You have to take your hat off to those guys it's a unique sport. I have somewhere a Bruce Penhall autograph. As a kid I used to watch him in 'chips' great show. Then the poor guy came over to the UK and was racing speedway on darkest deepest Dudley what a stark contrast to LA. What we will all do for our passions eh! These guys don't make stacks of cash compared to many sports. As many of you have said a lot of the teams and tracks have now fell by the wayside it's a real shame.

Went to watch the Bees when I was a lad in the early 70s, still got the scarf

20190731_204809.thumb.jpg.d505869162701638bb0d720ba942087d.jpg