Chain oil

Bryera

WD40 is not recommended as a chain oil, but many years ago I did a 2500 mile trip on a ZZR1100 and only realised when waiting for the ferry back to UK that my chain looked good and the back wheel was pretty clean too.

What I had packed thinking it was Castrol Chain oil spray was a can of Castrol DWF (WD40 equivalent). No chain adjustment required.

So, maybe not recommended, but it's OK for modern o-ring / x-ring chains - in my opinion. :thumb:

You're probably going to get a different answer from everyone who answers because everyone has their favourite . WD40 is only really useful for cleaning off the old chain lube . I use Tec Tane Chain Spray from Tool Station because it causes minimum damage to my wallet and it's very sticky . My other bike is belt drive 😊

Isn't it belt maintenance then :scratch:

No. Belts need nothing aside from an occasional visual check.

Absolutely, but you can shred em & then spend ages investigating the clutch, d'oh

Isn't it belt maintenance then :scratch:

Absolutely, but you can shred em & then spend ages investigating the clutch, d'oh

I heard about one snapping. Is that the same as shredding?

The bike immediately red-lined and rolled to a stop. The belt had snapped and rolled off the rear sprocket onto the floor.

Owners fault. He had neglected that crucial.. Occasional... Visual check. :roll:

I heard about one snapping. Is that the same as shredding?

The bike immediately red-lined and rolled to a stop. The belt had snapped and rolled off the rear sprocket onto the floor.

Owners fault. He had neglected that crucial.. Occasional... Visual check. :roll:

It happened to the works FLHTC lost drive & we all initially missed the almost smooth drive belt, I think it happened due to the belt being under tensioned, wasted ages assuming it was the gear box as neutral was always a b*stard :oops:

Wd40 will wash off all the crap and then it will stick .. how many times have you had an old padlock stuck then wd40 it comes loose then in a while the lock is all stuck again .. I use asdas own wd40 knock off as its washes old oil and crap off and its £1.75 for a big tin ..

I lub up the chain with what's left of my scoloiler oil . Its lubs its and all extant gets chucked off the wax then drys ish then Wd40 chain wax over the top that ..with the Scot oil under it . Used it for a few years now and chain is brand new looking.. and never needed to be tightened..

Stuff.thumb.JPG.38808f555eea4b751f5bc70fefacf447.JPG

The old fashioned way.. but also the way recommended by DID amongst others. Paraffin to clean and then Gear oil to lube. Cleaning and lubing takes about 15 minutes. and I do that about every 600 miles. Lubing takes less than 3 minutes and I do that every 200, after a ride. warm chain, so the oil penetrates.

I tried chain lube.. silkolene. and I kept seeing rust forming. not good. this way.. no rust at all. (and no fling)

1876686084_Rearrim.thumb.JPG.4c3723f9aca5b63688755dc6aae180d1.JPG

Cycling the length of the Outer Hebrides when my bicycle chain became dry then I remembered that I had a bottle of Avon Skin So Soft which everyone knows is an excellent midge repellant. Well now it's also an excellent chain lube . Smells lovely too .