Owning 2 bikes?

JustaTwist

I know there’s some on here who have loads of bikes but, I’m currently in the process of buying a V-Strom 650 for my commute which means my hornet 600 will be surplus to requirements.

It’s not worth a great deal, only costs £80 to insure for the year and I won’t be needing the money to put towards the V-Strom so I don’t really need to sell it.

If I keep it will it end up just rotting away in the garage? Do those of you who own more than one bike find that you spend more time fixing things on the lesser used bike because the brakes begin to seize, battery dies, carbs gum up etc than you actually do riding it?

I suppose the question I’m really asking is, is it worth the hassle!

I’m also concerned that I’ll miss the IL4 when I start riding a v-twin. :(

Yep , as soon as it gets cold and wet and the salt goes on the roads the Harley is going in the shed until April . Then the ER5 will be my main bike . Because the climate is now knackered beyond repair there are lots of relatively warm days to be enjoyed during winter . As I recall, I was out riding over the Christmas break last year .

I have two bikes and use both,

I passed my test a couple of months, and wanted a commuter so bought the Aprilia Shiver 900, as this was a cheaper bike I ride & commute it in all conditions,

As my "best" bike I purchased a Ducati 959 Panigale Corse, and that bike gives me butterflies each time I cock my leg over.. I LOVE it, and keep it for my best, only ride when its nice weather and to nice destinations. This keeps my love for it there, and keeps it very special.

Nothing wrong with having multiple bikes if you have the space and can afford to run them, I want a touring bike next to do the overseas stuff, thinking of getting a Multistada.

It completly depends on the condition of the bikes. Both mine I bought new (I know... whoops) so having two bikes is no hassle for me. I just jump on which ever I fancy when I want to go out. I do service them both myself, so I tend to do one in spring and the other in autum. They both get a wash and chain cleaned at the same time as I already have the stuff out to do that work. The MSX forever needs it's chain adjusted so the BMW is a welcome sight as it barely needs it adjusted at all :lol:

Having two older bikes may take up more work. But so long as you always have one on the road there is no need to rush the job on the other one.

I've now deciphered that it's the BMW that is causing me to badly damage my intercostal muscles, so it is hardly getting used now. However the MSX was my commuter and pootling around town bike. The BMW was for further afield jaunts, worked out rather nice. The MSX costs me pretty much nothing to keep - it's free with my insurance on the BMW, and takes up no more room in the garage than a push bike. So there is no real point in me getting rid of it, never mind the fact I love it!

I have two, 2016 zx6r uncomfortable as hell but a scalpel to ride, great for a blast with the lads who mostly own newer high-end sports and super nakeds. I also have my xjr cafe racer, comfortable muscle bike, I like riding them both but on the other hand its waged war in my mind... I'm indecisive at the best of time so I'm constantly considering selling one or the other dependent on which side.of the bed I get out off.

I don't commute much so they are just toys really but both have their purpose.

So I'm getting at why not cafe racer the hornet, make it really special if you have the time and an angle grinder, and a drill!-) one of the best things you can do imo, really make it how you want and it's not even very expensive tbf. Learn stuff from YouTube, make a plan and take as long as you want.

Fit USD forks, do your research and find out which front end fits ect ect.

It completly depends on the condition of the bikes. Both mine I bought new (I know... whoops) so having two bikes is no hassle for me. I just jump on which ever I fancy when I want to go out. I do service them both myself, so I tend to do one in spring and the other in autum. They both get a wash and chain cleaned at the same time as I already have the stuff out to do that work. The MSX forever needs it's chain adjusted so the BMW is a welcome sight as it barely needs it adjusted at all :lol:

Having two older bikes may take up more work. But so long as you always have one on the road there is no need to rush the job on the other one.

I've now deciphered that it's the BMW that is causing me to badly damage my intercostal muscles, so it is hardly getting used now. However the MSX was my commuter and pootling around town bike. The BMW was for further afield jaunts, worked out rather nice. The MSX costs me pretty much nothing to keep - it's free with my insurance on the BMW, and takes up no more room in the garage than a push bike. So there is no real point in me getting rid of it, never mind the fact I love it!

Which beemer do you have Arwen :?:

So long as you use both reasonably frequently there shouldn't be a problem. I have the old Honda for when the roads are covered in mud ( most of the time where I live) and Triumph for days when the mud is dry.

They are both covered for business use so I can ride whichever according to the weather conditions.

If the insurance and tax aren't an issue then I'd keep both.

I've got 6, with 5 of them on the road.

Fortunately 2 of them, 380 and Honda SS50 are tax and mot exempt and only the price of insurance which isn't a bad thing to have theft cover.

They all do get a run every few months so hopefully no carb gumming can develop.

Flat batteries are the main headache, but a quick charge up normally sorts it out.

Most frequently used is the scooter followed by the R1

I've got 6, with 5 of them on the road.

Fortunately 2 of them, 380 and Honda SS50 are tax and mot exempt and only the price of insurance which isn't a bad thing to have theft cover.

They all do get a run every few months so hopefully no carb gumming can develop.

Flat batteries are the main headache, but a quick charge up normally sorts it out.

Most frequently used is the scooter followed by the R1

I can't believe you have 5 bikes on the road. #Respect