Byway map

dynax

Stumbled across this Byway map which shows all byways available around the country, so if you fancy some green laning have alook, just be sure that the byway is suitable for all vehicles shown in green :thumb:

https://www.bywaymap.com/index.html

All I'm getting is this when I try to open it, pity, it sounds like it could be useful as well.

Stumbled across this Byway map which shows all byways available around the country, so if you fancy some green laning have alook, just be sure that the byway is suitable for all vehicles shown in green :thumb:

All I'm getting is this when I try to open it, pity, it sounds like it could be useful as well.

try a different browser if you can :thumb:

Oh no , now nobody can go for a quiet walk in the countryside without a Landover with those annoying stickers that say " One life , live it " churning up the path .If you have to go off road to run a farm or fix a pylon or whatever then fine , but to do it as a hobby just seems a little pointless to me .

Great little site this, I used it back when I fitted a knobbly to the back of the CB250 and decided I'd take it greenlaning. I discovered 2 things:

1) Most BOATs (Byway Open to All Traffic) are really short.

2) Offroading is either incredibly easy and boring or, if it's wet and muddy, impossibly difficult. Unless you go round the outside of the puddles, then it's easy and boring.

Some people live for it, I really don't understand?? :scratch: Oh and I did once blow a fork seal so I guess that was.. Interesting?

try a different browser if you can :thumb:

Cheers, tried it on the iPad and it works fine :thumb:

Great little site this, I used it back when I fitted a knobbly to the back of the CB250 and decided I'd take it greenlaning. I discovered 2 things:

1) Most BOATs (Byway Open to All Traffic) are really short.

2) Offroading is either incredibly easy and boring or, if it's wet and muddy, impossibly difficult. Unless you go round the outside of the puddles, then it's easy and boring.

Some people live for it, I really don't understand?? :scratch: Oh and I did once blow a fork seal so I guess that was.. Interesting?

I used to do a lot of green laning when I lived in Leicester, mostly out near Melton and also around Beadles Lakes Near East Goscote (when you were allowed to do it there) the challenge is part of the fun but you need the right bike, a CB250 with a nobbly isn't really the right bike and I admire you doing it with this sort of machine. Some of the difficult technical rides, rocky, wet, muddy, really adds a new aspect to your motorcycling skill, its challenging and as such is fun, it even, IMHO improves your on road riding ability. I actually, although I haven't done it for some time, found it to be more fun than riding through the towns and cities on my road bike, which in all fairness I find to be mind numbingly boring, we actually have a big off road community on the Island where I live now, I see enduro clubs out every weekend enjoying what the island has to offer and the vast array of tracks over here has honed the skills of champions such as David and Juan Knight.

But as with everything, I say its each to their own, we all enjoy and hate different things, that's life! As for me I'm thinking of getting back into enduro riding, I'm going to North Wales to freshen up my skills with Ady Smith and am then going to enjoy a different facet to the the sport of motorcycling, a sport that I've been into since I was 14yrs of age.

Something I always find interesting is peoples attitudes and perceptions to the sport, mainly from the walk where you want brigade (don't get me wrong, I'm an avid walker and have done it as far afield as Italy and the Alps) and on occasion, horse riders. Now I know that there are some idiots who give the sport a bad name, as with all sports, some sports bikes riders drag the image down as do some riders of the big cruisers who fancy the image of the hells angel type, but that said their mostly in the minority. But .... I have met more rude and obnoxious, uneducated walkers than I ever have enduro riders, for the most I find the enduro riders on the green lanes to be courteous and polite, however, I've seen walkers throw abuse at them and as recent posts will demonstrate, go to the extremes of vandalising signage and planting booby traps such as wooden planks with nails in, so I pose the question, who are the mindless idiots in this scenario?

A lot of people seem to forget that a lot of the routes used off roaders are termed "greenway roads" emphasis on the word Road, it is actually an unmade public road, cars and bikes that use it are obliged to be road legal and follow the Highway Code just the same as any other road user, it is easy, at times, to stray of greenway roads, this is often due to lack of adequate signage (which has often been ripped down and vandalised by persons unknown), I therefore see the production of maps such as the one Dynax has posted, to be a good thing in helping maintain the status quo between those who wish to use motorised vehicles off road and those who wish to go out and walk.

As a footnote I say we all only get one shot at life, get out there and enjoy it, live and let live and do what makes you happy :cheers: