Safety First!

XTreme

Scorchio, Scorchio, [mention]XTreme[/mention] , I think I read you're out there full time and never coming back to Blighty. You have my greatest respect for doing this. The vast majority of us Brits day dream about making the move and it's only the tiny percentage who do. Hats off to you xtreme. Are you fluent in the lingo? What would be the biggest downer for you to leave and return to the UK? Or wouldn't any circumstance make you leave?

We've been here 14 years.......way before Britain went batshit crazy.

We were never happy in the UK anyway......wherever we lived. So it was an easy decision to make.

I've lived in a very rural small Spanish town all that time......and nobody speaks English. So yes, I suppose that I'm reasonably competent with the language after all this time.

We'd never return to the UK......nothing there for us, no family or community etc. I've run a business here all this time......and despite just becoming an OAP I'd never stop work.

And we have two sons......one in the Netherlands, the other in Poland. So if we ever left Spain it would be to go the Netherlands near him......no way we'd ever go to Poland.

Scorchio, Scorchio, @XTreme , I think I read you're out there full time and never coming back to Blighty. You have my greatest respect for doing this. The vast majority of us Brits day dream about making the move and it's only the tiny percentage who do. Hats off to you xtreme. Are you fluent in the lingo? What would be the biggest downer for you to leave and return to the UK? Or wouldn't any circumstance make you leave?

[/quote

I must be in the minority then. I've lived in a couple of other countries, not in Europe but elsewhere and to be honest there's nowhere I'd rather live than right here. I travel all over the world as part of my job and have done for over 40 years, I am always glad to get home. Yes it's not perfect but neither is anywhere else. Also I absolutely effing detest hot weather which rather rules out the Med. If I take a summer holiday it will be Scandinavia or Iceland etc.

Everybody is different......depends very much on the person and what their expectations are.

In fact a lot of people decide to move to Spain.......and then go back within a year or two finding that Britain is a better fit for them.

A few of my colleagues have places in Spain, partly because of tax reasons but mainly because they are addicted to warm weather! It would be a bloody boring old world if we were all the same!

I'll put my hand up to the warm weather addiction. :D I've spent a fair bit of time in Hong Kong, and just love the heat there...and the people...and the food..and the chilled Tsingtao beer 8-)

A few of my colleagues have places in Spain, partly because of tax reasons but mainly because they are addicted to warm weather! It would be a bloody boring old world if we were all the same!

I'll put my hand up to the warm weather addiction. :D I've spent a fair bit of time in Hong Kong, and just love the heat there...and the people...and the food..and the chilled Tsingtao beer 8-)

Did you still get to ride about on your bike? The traffic over there is pretty insane is it not? :roll:

Did you still get to ride about on your bike? The traffic over there is pretty insane is it not? :roll:

No biking for me there, strictly public transport.