Van + Motorbike

MR_W

Hey guys,

Does anyone have experience with using a van to transport a motorbike, as I need to hire one to collect my sister's current CBR 125 R off her.

I know a transit would do the job, but I was wondering if something smaller like a Renault Kangoo has a large enough space to load the CBR into as it would cut the cost a bit?

I use 3 ratchet straps in my transit, one forward, one sideways, one rear, not needed anything else, I'm confident you could turn van upside down, they are 4000kg straps though

I'm not sure on kangoo, I bike suddenly gets big when you put it in a van.

A few "ifs" :-

If you have a car, if it has a towbar, if you don't mind people being able to see you're transporting a bike - a trailer is a cheaper / more cost effective solution than a van. Just a thought .....

A few "ifs" :-

If you have a car, if it has a towbar, if you don't mind people being able to see you're transporting a bike - a trailer is a cheaper / more cost effective solution than a van. Just a thought .....

Really? I hired a transit last Wednesday from Thrifty - not even £30 for the day!

Bikes are waaaay easier to load and unload from a bike trailer than a van mind.

I've only ever used a transit van to transport a bike, some padding and a couple of tie down points, I think you may struggle with a Kangoo .... Rent a Transit there not that expensive and save yourself the potential heartache of either not getting it in to the Kangoo or damaging the bike trying

Guest Richzx6r

I'd definitely say a kangoo is too small so I'd go for a tranny as the price difference isn't great on rental and as said 3 ratchet straps minimum 6 would be better and if you have access to one a front wheel chock

I'd definitely say a kangoo is too small so I'd go for a tranny as the price difference isn't great on rental and as said 3 ratchet straps minimum 6 would be better and if you have access to one a front wheel chock

I agree with Rich on this one, I have a CBR125R and my brother has a Kangoo and the bike did not fit even with the mirrors removed.

I agree with Rich on this one, I have a CBR125R and my brother has a Kangoo and the bike did not fit even with the mirrors removed.

Swb would be interesting, lwb should be fine, height makes it awkward

https://images.app.goo.gl/BwARqKaj1dst9M3V9

Drain the fluids and shove it on a roof rack :lol:

105928d1164491777-how-transport-bike-properly-roofrack.jpg

Mike, how does one wheel it up to the roof rack?? It's a bit heavier than a bicycle. :wink:

Absolutely no idea, just showing it can be done :thumb: :cheers:

Guest Richzx6r

Drain the fluids and shove it on a roof rack :lol:

105928d1164491777-how-transport-bike-properly-roofrack.jpg

Mike, how does one wheel it up to the roof rack?? It's a bit heavier than a bicycle. :wink:

Surely you can just lift it on to the roof of the car??

Just thought of brilliant idea :idea: :shock: go down on your bike taking lots of straps and tiedowns :lol: , take front wheel off the cbr and tie on the back of yours with some over hang, then lift the bike and put the forks through the spokes of the wheel secure with more straps, then just tow it home :thumb:

I dont know how big the CB is to a sinnis 125 but I have a Peugeot teepee and I taken it the middle back seat then take the mirrors off (the bike ) also loosened the handlebars so they dropped a wee bit backn and we just lifted the bike in to the back the teepee and shut the door.. it was wedged between the back seats no ties down needed.

Same with my sons speedfight this time the drivers side seat and middle seat in the back and shut the door .

Iv also seen Ford focuse with a 250 bike sticking out the boot . They taken off the front wheel lifted the forks in to the boot then tied the forks to the spare wheel clamp inside the car the put the front wheel on top the forks shut the boot down tight then strapped the boot down put the bike in the neutral towed it home..

nope .. Van is way easier than a trailer .. and i`ve done plenty of both..

Nah, vans are high compared to a bike trailer. Single handed I prefer the ease of loading with my trailer however, security wins hands down with a van.

I’ve got a Peugeot boxer medium height and roof. I can wheel my bike into the back even with it fully racked out quite easily with a ramp. I’ve done over 500 miles in one drive with my bike in the back with only two straps, it never moved. Make sure the front wheel is straight against the bulkhead and use two forward ratchet points below the bulkhead to pull it in tight, also tend to leave the side stand down and leave the bike slightly leaning that way so if it was to ever go over it would land on the side stand.