Clutch problem

EX GASMAN

Hi I have a 5 year old Enfield Bullet 500 with 10,000 miles. Sometimes the clutch sticks from starting. This morning when I put it into gear, with the clutch in, it jumped forward and when I braked it stalled. After the first time it's good all day. Any idea?

Do you free the clutch prior to starting ? This involves giving it a couple of kicks with the clutch pulled in before releasing the clutch and kicking it to start it . This is how I was taught to start British bikes. I don't know whether this helps .

First thing in the morning or especially if I haven't ridden for a while I have to let the clutch out veerrry slowly initially to avoid stalling, but when I'm off I pump the clutch a few times then it's fine.

My old tdm850 does the same, from cold start.

I found that holding the clutch in for 5-10 seconds before engaging 1st gear helps.

Might be a help until you have opportunity to strip the clutch?

My TRX is the same (of course), I've never known such a sticky clutch - even just sitting at traffic lights is long enough for first to select with a bang unless the clutch is held in a short while beforehand. Different oil helps, new clutch plates help (I think worn ones seem to be more prone to sticking together?) but in the end it seems to be largely down to design.

For the very first gear selection before moving off from cold I like to hold the clutch in and give it 2-3K revs for a second or two, this throws the oil out from between the plates and leads to much less of a bang/lurch. This of course assumes the Enfield uses a standard wet multi-plate clutch which may well not be the case..!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I did notice if I started the engine and let it run for a while it didn’t do it. It's just that the engine won't run on the side stand, I'll go back to doing this.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I did notice if I started the engine and let it run for a while it didn’t do it. It's just that the engine won't run on the side stand, I'll go back to doing this.

Might be a good idea to check the float / fuel level in the carb . That's the only cause I can think of for a bike that won't run then it's leaning over .

Might be a good idea to check the float / fuel level in the carb . That's the only cause I can think of for a bike that won't run then it's leaning over .

It has a kill switch on the side stand

Shouldn't it still run in neutral on the side stand? Most do.

Shouldn't it still run in neutral on the side stand? Most do.

No it's strange it will run on the main stand but when the side stand is down it won't start or run. This morning I put it on the main stand and let it warm up while I locked the shed and put on my helmet and the clutch was fine.

I'll see how it goes if it's ok like that I'll leave it for a while if it gets worse I'll replace the it.

On a good note it went straight through the MOT today.