Advice for after passing DAS

James in Brum

Hello people.

I was looking for words of wisdom. I don't know what I don't know so thought I would ask you clever souls to let me know all I need to know. I hope to pass my DAS over the next couple of weeks. I have just bought a ZZR600, 1990 with 16000 miles on the clock and it looks beautiful. Should arrive tomorrow. I am starting to feel a bit intimidated by the difference. I have ridden 6000 miles on my 125 and am nervous about the step up (but also seriously excited).

So hit me, any advice you want to give.

How is James going to get it insured without a full license?? :? Maybe look into getting the insurance that gives him time to pass his test.

When i got Xena, i had her nearly 2 weeks before my CBT and i insured her through Bikesure and they gave 30 days to complete my CBT, so they will do it if you ask them :thumb:

Speak to a number of riding schools so you get a feeling for them. Some will be obvious non starters. Explain your worries and they should offer you an assessment/ taster. They should get you out on a bigger bike when you're ready and tailor your training to you. Personally I didn't find the step up from a 125 to a 600 that difficult. The size and power are obvious but bigger backs aren't as nervous or twitch on the road and are generally a lot more refined.

Dave.

If you have done 6k on a 125 you will be fine on a bigger bike, I think generally they are much easier to ride and you don't need to be constantly wringing its neck to get it going. The extra weight disappears once moving and just makes everything feel more stable.

I'd never ridden a big bike before my first lesson, when I got there they asked if I had any experience and I told them I'd been riding a 125 for a while. The instructor asked me if I was happy to get straight on the 600 and I said yes, and that was it, we went straight out on the road. If you are confident on your 125 there is absolutely no reason not to transfer that confidence onto a bigger machine. :thumb: