2013 ZZR 1400 suspension advise !

Leejitsu

Hey all,

I said over in the newbies section I would pick brains so here's the first pick at them :D

I've had the ZZR 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. But definitely needs the suspension setting up to suit my weight and my riding style.

I'm definitely not a suspension guy, I suppose I could make countless adjustments using trial and error but if someone has a one strike formula or setup they are using they can reccomend I would love to hear from you !

Its currently set up very soft, the forks bottom out very easily over speed humps and the front end comes up very easy with a pillion on the back. Even had a slight tank slapper when overtaking a car enthusiastically!

So I weigh 18st dead at the moment, so plus leathers, boots and lid an additional stone? I ride rather quickly and not scared of getting the bike down through the corners. Hence the tyres now have no chicken strips :mrgreen:

So I want a set up that is more responsive entering and exiting corners, gives good feed back without being bouncy ? doesn't dive and keeps the front wheel in contact with the ground ...

Asking too much? Thanks in advance !

Set everything to medium and learn to live with it . I'm only joking ( Or am I ? ) Welcome to the forum .

Edited by fastbob

Cheers for the replies guys. I've tried google, it just leaves me with more questions than answers ! I think as soon as the weather improves I will set everything to medium and see how it feels.

In the Kawasaki owners manual it states the suspension is set up for a 150lb man with no luggage .. the average man, 10.5 stone ? That must be the average Japanese man ! :mrgreen:

I've never adjusted sag before so might leave that to my service guy. It's going in for service in a around 4 weeks so can ask him to measure that with me then 👍

Increase the preload at the front until the forks aren't bottoming out (if possible) and increase the preload at the back until it stops wobbling (almost certainly possible). Damping settings are mostly down to personal taste, there are no right or wrong answers unless you're looking for tenths on track. Personally I like a soft springy ride with loads of sag but that is largely considered seriously uncool :mrgreen:

When you get it somewhere near acceptable/safe then start worrying about measuring sag and whatnot. I'd probably go for 75% of available preload both ends and likely go up from there.

You could join Slimming World and loose five stone . I joined five years ago and lost nine and a half stone in two years . However , I am in no position to preach because I regret to say that over the last three years I have put most of it back on again . I'm going back any day now and this time it's staying off .

Start by setting maximum preload. You're a big lad and standard springs aren't designed for your weight especially when going fast! You can wind back from there, but I'd be surprised if you can even set the sag correctly given its a standard bike with heavy rider.

I like my suspension quite stiff when going quickly, but you might not..

Thanks for all the advise guys! I think I'll take it and get it set up professionally. Kings Norton is only an hour from me so I'll give them a ring today 👍

The guys name is Pete & he's set up race bikes & knows his onions ( tis a black art after all ) :thumb:

Had a result yesterday! after a long chat with one of the directors of my company ( a fellow biker ) he pointed out our company has done work for the owner of Ktech suspension based in overseal about 15 min from me !

I called the fella at ktech said what company I was calling from and hey presto he said pop it round monday and he'll set it up !

Result !

I'll post again once it's been done to report on the difference 👍

Had a result yesterday! after a long chat with one of the directors of my company ( a fellow biker ) he pointed out our company has done work for the owner of Ktech suspension based in overseal about 15 min from me !

I called the fella at ktech said what company I was calling from and hey presto he said pop it round monday and he'll set it up !

Result !

Ktech will be able to stick some stiffer springs on it. That will and a huge difference.

Result !

Ktech will be able to stick some stiffer springs on it. That will and a huge difference.

Will it need stiffer springs ? I assumed being a rather large bike it would already be sprung enough to take my weight plus a bit of luggage should I do a little travelling...

I think what I'm more after is some nimbleness, I know it's a big bike but unbelievably has the exact wheelbase as my sprint RS ... and I absolutely bury that in corners :mrgreen:

Wind the preload up and see if you still bottom it out easily. If you do then you need stiffer springs.

You want the suspension working in its optimal range which is why the sag setting is important.

You've already said you're a big lad about twice the weight of the rider the bike was designed for so if you want optimal suspension it's unlikely the standard springs will be stiff enough.

Hi all took the zzr to ktech in overseal today. Introduced myself and The fella (sorry forgot his name 🤔) but known as mr Hancock to my company. Came out and got to work ! He's got all of the suspension working in sync now, got sag and preload correct for my weight and did some adjusting of the various rebound and compression damping. Front and back.

The bike feels 100% better ! It feels lighter in the corners, more nimble, stable and no more bottoming out of forks!

He did say further improvements are available changing to stiffer fork springs as I carry a pillion quite often and they would help take the load.

So a big thumbs up from me for Ktech! Thanks for all the advise so far. Will be picking brains about my triumph sprint on my next thread !