Failed CBT

Hi guys. Feeling miserable now after failing my cbt today. Was 1st time on a motorbike and everytime I've got the bike moving I've felt like I'm losing balance and put my feet down. After 3-4 attempts the instructor told me that it isn't for me. He was probably not bothered as the other 3 people there, they been on bikes before and they got going straight away. So far I've been driving everything that has an engine fitted, from cars, to bussed and 44tones trucks except motorbikes, but he actually made me think that bikes aren't for me. What would be your advice?

Thanks in advance

Bad luck pal. First advice would be to look at another school. Tell them what's happened and arrange a 2 hour taster. They'll go through the basics with you and hopefully boost your confidence so then the CBT should de a doddle.

Dave

Bad luck pal. First advice would be to look at another school. Tell them what's happened and arrange a 2 hour taster. They'll go through the basics with you and hopefully boost your confidence so then the CBT should de a doddle.

Dave

This. Some do a new rider school which would be worth checking out.

Hi guys. Feeling miserable now after failing my cbt today. Was 1st time on a motorbike and everytime I've got the bike moving I've felt like I'm losing balance and put my feet down. After 3-4 attempts the instructor told me that it isn't for me. He was probably not bothered as the other 3 people there, they been on bikes before and they got going straight away. So far I've been driving everything that has an engine fitted, from cars, to bussed and 44tones trucks except motorbikes, but he actually made me think that bikes aren't for me. What would be your advice?

Thanks in advance

My advice would be to get some riding time in before attempting the test . How you go about this is , however, another matter . What you need is a bike , a trailer or van and a quiet corner of an industrial estate or business park . No easy answers I'm afraid . One thing I often ask with queries like this is do you ride a bicycle ?

Thanks in advance

This really boils my pi$$, some of these schools really need to look at their approach to how the CBT is carried out, first thing i would do is report them to the DVLA, there are guidelines that are meant to be follwed, i have read on many forums about beginners that get tossed aside in favour of experienced pupils, this is not the way it is meant to be, as above find another school, but don't allow them to hurry or bully you into cutting the training short, they are meant to teach you how to ride safely, if they don't give you the correct tutoring they are not doing their job, don't give up you will get there :thumb:

• Like 1

Thanks in advance

This really boils my pi$$, some of these schools really need to look at their approach to how the CBT is carried out, first thing i would do is report them to the DVLA, there are guidelines that are meant to be follwed, i have read on many forums about beginners that get tossed aside in favour of experienced pupils, this is not the way it is meant to be, as above find another school, but don't allow them to hurry or bully you into cutting the training short, they are meant to teach you how to ride safely, if they don't give you the correct tutoring they are not doing their job, don't give up you will get there :thumb:

You can't teach balance and coordination . We don't know because he hasn't responded yet but if someone has never ridden a bicycle then they will be at a massive disadvantage when they come to ride a motorcycle .

Good advice above, I like you have a licence for everything apart from track laying vehicles.

I took my cbt and only just scraped through that, I found slow riding and balance my biggest problem, then bought a 125cc to get some practice on.

I had more than 1000 miles under my belt when I went for mod 1 training, I was getting no better for the training. I have had hour after hour of training on a 650, I got so that I was confident on the 125 but just couldnt master the big heavy bike.

I am 72 in a couple of weeks and I started making the excuse that I was just too old to

take it in.

I went for my mod1 a few weeks ago and failed, I rode too slow through the hazard avoidance I was shit scared of the bike if I am honest.

Last Friday I took it for the second time and passed. Long story short stick at it you just can't be as bad as I was, I nearly gave up more than once.

I spent hours looking on Youtube at mod 1 vids some are not worth watching some are very good.

Looking back it is as so many riders told me its practice practice practice dont let it beat you you will get there in the end. Good luck. john

Fastbob has hit the nail on the head....how much experience have you got riding a push bike? Balance and coordination on two wheels isn't natural so people with virtually no time spent on a push bike are at a huge disadvantage.

No excuse for the training school to cherry pick the easy candidates. They ought to have asked you this very question.

There are some people who for medical reasons have very limited balance but you'd know if that applied to you.

Hi.

I was like this and I feel your pain. New rider at 70yrs. Started on a Piaggio MP3 then Honda CBF 125 and now a Yamaha YZFR 125. In the early days Iv'e seen me get all the gear on and then walk away from the bike and go back indoors. I was lacking in confidence.

The Youtube training vids and practice and more practice did it for me. It's brilliant when you come through to the other side.

You'll get there, keep at it and don't let em knock you back.

Regards.

Thanks guys. Booked in already with another company. Told them what happened earlier today and they were a bit shocked.. Hopefully this time will go the way it should've

It's hard to guage. I'd never ridden a motorbike before (well, a moped in 2004) and nailed the geared bike on my first cbt and passed. But some people don't. The school won't know how you'll do - loads of people who do a cbt have done one before and had it expire etc and can ride just fine. If they fail you it's for a reason - they often offer the new rider courses and should suggest that as a next step if so.

You cant fail a CBT. When I took mine someone fell off and wasn't classified as a fail. Its Compulsory Basic Training, not a test. Having said that if you couldn't ride without putting your feet down you probably need some more basic training. Find somewhere that does it and practice for a bit

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt

Yes it's not a test but if they won't give you the certificate or stop you doing the rest of it then you certainly have not passed, the normal opposite of gaining something is failing to gain it, as the op failed to gain it with his first choice pointing out its not a test and he can't fail it is rather a redundant comment

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the late answer but I was stuck at work. It's probably been 20 years since I haven't been on a push bike. Would you guys think that should I just get a push bike for a while and start riding that and go for motorcycle training after a few months? This new company that I found they do actually have a rolling road for you to practice and start feeling the controls of the motorbike before they get you on the training ground, which for me seems to be a good idea. The main issue I had yesterday was that I couldn't feel and control the throttle and obviously the speed wasn't fast enough for riding the bike

You cant fail a CBT. When I took mine someone fell off and wasn't classified as a fail. Its Compulsory Basic Training, not a test. Having said that if you couldn't ride without putting your feet down you probably need some more basic training. Find somewhere that does it and practice for a bit

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt

Well the way it gone yesterday was something like : the instructor showed me the controls of the bike and then gave me no more advice. He was expecting me just to do it straight away. I did teach people in the past to drive cars and I never actually expected them to drive a car just after telling them what's doing what on the car.. And actually support them and give them advice.

I suppose with the CBT it should be the same. The attention of one of the instructors should go with the one that actually struggles and not both instructors to be on the ones that are there for refresher CBT

And you can't fail a CBT but they do make you feel like you do when you have an experience like I did yesterday

Well the way it gone yesterday was something like : the instructor showed me the controls of the bike and then gave me no more advice. He was expecting me just to do it straight away. I did teach people in the past to drive cars and I never actually expected them to drive a car just after telling them what's doing what on the car.. And actually support them and give them advice.

I suppose with the CBT it should be the same. The attention of one of the instructors should go with the one that actually struggles and not both instructors to be on the ones that are there for refresher CBT

And you can't fail a CBT but they do make you feel like you do when you have an experience like I did yesterday

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the late answer but I was stuck at work. It's probably been 20 years since I haven't been on a push bike. Would you guys think that should I just get a push bike for a while and start riding that and go for motorcycle training after a few months? This new company that I found they do actually have a rolling road for you to practice and start feeling the controls of the motorbike before they get you on the training ground, which for me seems to be a good idea. The main issue I had yesterday was that I couldn't feel and control the throttle and obviously the speed wasn't fast enough for riding the bike

It sounds like whoever you used were tossers pure and simple. Hope they didn't take your money if that is how it actually went.

I took two days to complete my CBT. I am not a natural on the bike. And it probably had something to do with making a couple of BMW

and Merc drivers shit their pants as I careered at them round a corner, unable to turn. :lol:

As you say, you've found another place. Hopefully they'll do more 1on1 and help you get settled a bit on the bike. Mine got us to use

our throttle hand with nothing else, just to get the feel.

Then as Bender says, get a 125 and practice every single chance you can. Is exactly what I am doing.

Good Luck :D

Then as Bender says, get a 125 and practice every single chance you can
You can't practice until you get through the CBT. I'm with Bender on the bicycle idea. Its not a question of months. It could be days. Any old sh1t bike will do. Just get on it and ride. Not even fast. Balance is most important at LOW speeds. its moving off and stopping that causes most people difficulty. Also looking from side to side. You need that for your shoulder checks (lifesavers).

When you can ride a bicycle in a figure of 8, stop and put your foot down you are a good way into riding something with an engine.

Good luck.

Then as Bender says, get a 125 and practice every single chance you can
You can't practice until you get through the CBT. I'm with Bender on the bicycle idea. Its not a question of months. It could be days. Any old sh1t bike will do. Just get on it and ride. Not even fast. Balance is most important at LOW speeds. its moving off and stopping that causes most people difficulty. Also looking from side to side. You need that for your shoulder checks (lifesavers).

When you can ride a bicycle in a figure of 8, stop and put your foot down you are a good way into riding something with an engine.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. Will have plenty of time to practice as they are fully booked for cbt until the 21st of September

It sounds like whoever you used were tossers pure and simple. Hope they didn't take your money if that is how it actually went.

I took two days to complete my CBT. I am not a natural on the bike. And it probably had something to do with making a couple of BMW

and Merc drivers shit their pants as I careered at them round a corner, unable to turn. :lol:

As you say, you've found another place. Hopefully they'll do more 1on1 and help you get settled a bit on the bike. Mine got us to use

our throttle hand with nothing else, just to get the feel.

Then as Bender says, get a 125 and practice every single chance you can. Is exactly what I am doing.

Good Luck :D

Hell yes, they've took the money. I wouldn't been bothered about £130 if they've actually showed interest on my progressing but I do start to feel like I was robbed :) well, I'll just let that pass as in life you do have a lot to learn from bad experiences. And thank you

Playing devils advocate here you have to keep in mind that the 'B' in CBT is for basic - and it really is basic. If you need training beyond this level it isn't (nor should it be) included in the price of the CBT, equally they can't hold people of greater ability back to focus on 1 person. My personal opinion is that the CBT arrangement isn't fit for purpose and really should include an initial assessment and then be tiered like the DAS training based on what would be required to get you up to a reasonable standard.

That aside, don't be put off, unless you have medical balance issues its just a skill that requires learning! :thumb:

• 11 months later...