Lifesavers

jabcrosshook

As it’s been years since riding a bike, almost a decade, driving a car solely in that time, lifesavers aren’t something I’ve been routinely practicing. So, when and how often are you doing lifesavers? What’s your general rule and practice?

I ask, because I sometimes wonder to myself if I need to do one or if it’s more a negative (taking eyes off situation ahead), than a benefit.

I catch myself doing them at junctions when changing direction, exiting roundabouts and setting off from stationary.

I did my DAS recently and what I was taught was:

Turning:

When turning left = Left lifesaver

When turning left = Right lifesaver

Traffic lights:

Going ahead = both IF stopped for a 'significant' amount of time (use your judgement, treat as moving off from parked). If roll through or stop for a few seconds then mirrors only.

Exiting roundabouts:

Single lane = left lifesaver

Dual lane = right lifesaver

Changing lanes = appropriate shoulder

Moving out around obstacles:

right out - left in

The rest of the time its just mirror obs making sure you actually turn your head so the examiner knows you are doing it, you don't need to be looking over your shoulder constantly as 90% of danger will come from in front of you.

I'm taking this off [mention]xMachina[/mention] post on another posting but the information is clear and that's what I was taught to in my DAS too. :thumb:

Way I do it.. very simple

quick glance at the blind spot just before I make a move in that direction. so I dont accidentally impact whatever might have crept into that space while my attention was elsewhere. I'm confirming its clear. And its saved me too many times to mention.

It's all been said really.

As a minimum, whenever your direction of travel is going to change in relation to the road or other users.

I think some people get confused at roundabouts.