Module 2 - members test experiences

Forgot to post my MOD2 experiences in here last week so here goes.

Had my MOD2 test on Wednesday last week. Booked in for 2:11. However I had a 7:30am start as I had a day of training before hand to make sure I was up to scratch.

I was a lot more nervous than I was for MOD1, maybe because it was 8 days since my MOD1 year and I hadn’t been on the bike since then. But anyway got there in the morning for training and we rode over to the test centre to begin taking a few test routes and practicing the angled start etc.. my instructor was confident that both myself and the other guy I was with would pass, so we did a few more test routes, then went for a blast in the countryside for an hour before getting back to the test centre. Quick toastie and can of coke to get some sugar in me before my test, then 15 minutes before my test the heavens opened. Oh crap I’ve never rode in the wet before, so nerves kicked in again. My name was called, gave him my paperwork, answered a couple of questions about bike main fence and by that time the rain had stopped and roads were dry again!

Anyway, half an hour or so out riding, return back to the test centre to be told ‘steady ride’ which I remember form my MOD1 test meant it was a clean sheet, 0 faults!

MOD2 passed!

Instructor took his walkie talkie back and told me to head on back to the training centre the other side of the city, so had my first little solo ride! 4 days later I’ve got a deposit on a bike which is going to be delivered sometime around 13th May after my holiday, so hopefully will see some of you out on the roads :D

Edited by brad93

...Quick toastie and can of come to get some sugar in me before my test...

An unconventional strategy, but hey, if it worked for you.

Congratulations. :D

...Quick toastie and can of come to get some sugar in me before my test...

An unconventional strategy, but hey, if it worked for you.

Congratulations. :D

Haha, can of coke :oops: thanks!!

Jackarth

I am taking my module 2 soon and have only spent a couple of hours riding in Gloucester - my instructor isn’t from the area and just started up his business so he doesn’t know the test routes - can you tell me any?

Thanks in advance 👍🏻

Kelly

• 4 weeks later...

Well done!

and can of come to get some sugar in me before my test

Hehehehehehehe :laugh:

Instructor took his walkie talkie back and told me to head on back to the training centre the other side of the city, so had my first little solo ride!

The best bit about the whole MODs experience!

After my test, the training centre is the other side of the city from the test centre so I decided to take the fastest and funnest route of the bypass, no better feeling that opening the throttle a bit more and going around people when you dont have someone glaring at your every move! Liked my test bike, would have snapped it off them if they had ever been considering selling lol.

I find knowing the roads around the test centre well would help greatly. I didn’t although I had spent a few weekends driving around the test centre to familiarise. Enfield that was.

But anyway, I passed earlier this morning with one minor and I have already bought a second hand sv650 this afternoon - it’s the same bike I learned on (shout out to London Motorcycle training!). Can’t wait.

Thanks for all the great posts here - helped me a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

Failed my Mod 2 :-(

Was a good ride around Aylesbury, only picked up 2 minors but made 2 very silly mistakes which gave me 2 serious faults too.

The examiner was really good, instructions were clear and he seemed very patient even on the 2 occasions I didn't quite hear him and just continued on. My first fault I turned right at a roundabout and exited into the right lane, I indicated to return to the left lane and forgot to cancel the signal afterwards. Second fault I took the centre position turning right out of a one way street. Was absolutely gutted to fail on such stupid things, I think I just got myself too confident after sailing through the Mod 1 with zero marks I ended up being a little sloppy. However, I am booked up for a second attempt in 2 weeks time.

• 4 weeks later...

PASSED - 0 MINORS

Arrived today at 1pm for my Mod 2 a bag of nerves.

Walked into the waiting room and there was around 5 guys there waiting for mod 1 and mod 2 results. One by one they were called in for their results and one by one they were coming out disappointed. Not one of them had passed today which made me feel even worse. Were they all just making mistakes or was the instructors in a particularly bad mood today?

Anyway I was called in to do the paperwork type bits and bobs and was ever increasingly sweating with nerves. He Set me up with the ear piece and told me to walk outside. I forgot my helmet and my gloves and once I retrieved them I began to repeatedly drop them on the floor.. :oops:

Next thing was the eye test and the questions. I was pleasantly surprised at how close the registration plates were - if you can see any more than a bat, you should be fine. After that we headed over to the bike, the questions I was asked:

- what do we adjust on the bike when carrying a pillion.

- rear suspension, tyre pressure I answered.

- how would we check the condition of the tyre

- 75% coverage of at-least 1mm tread and no damage to the side walls I answered.

- show me how the horn works

- *turns key* *beeps horn*

Okay now onto the proper stuff. I jumped on the 2001 bandit and was instructed to set off when I was ready... *STALLS*.. started her up again, did my mirror checks and off I went.

For some reason today felt like everyone in the town was on the roads, it was very very busy! I just kept focused, relaxed and breathed deeply. I had a sort of routine in my head which I kept to whilst riding and it seemed to work very well. If I saw the following things, I would remember to do that certain action. For example:

SPEED LIMIT SIGN - mirror checks

CARS PARKED ALONG SIDE OF ROAD - mirrors + right shoulder check out

EXITING ROUND ABOUT - wait until after the last exit - signal - life saver over the shoulder which has an empty lane next to it

COMING TO A STOP/TRAFFIC LIGHT - double mirror check

JUNCTION - mirrors, signal, move to position 1 for left and position 3 for right.

It basically went on like that in my head for the half an hour of riding (which felt like minutes). We got back and I knew I had done okay but didn’t expect to get 0 minors. “GOOD RIDE” he said, which in examiner terms mean, no faults.

The one biggest bit of advice I could give is to practice the roundabouts in your area. In the area I did mine in there were a lot of tricky roundabout systems which had faded road markings and signs covered by tree branches. If you signal too early, or ride in the wrong lane and cut some one up - you’re going to fail.

Other than than just relax, usually the examiners are nice guys who don’t want to be given a reason to fail you. As many other people say “treat him as a sat nav”. They always give you plenty of time in regards to instructions, so you can have chance to keep a look out for road signs, road markings etc.

I’m off to sleep now, up early to pick up my 2009 ZX6R!

Best of luck everyone.

Guest Richzx6r

PASSED - 0 MINORS

Walked into the waiting room and there was around 5 guys there waiting for mod 1 and mod 2 results. One by one they were called in for their results and one by one they were coming out disappointed. Not one of them had passed today which made me feel even worse. Were they all just making mistakes or was the instructors in a particularly bad mood today?

Anyway I was called in to do the paperwork type bits and bobs and was ever increasingly sweating with nerves. He Set me up with the ear piece and told me to walk outside. I forgot my helmet and my gloves and once I retrieved them I began to repeatedly drop them on the floor.. :oops:

Next thing was the eye test and the questions. I was pleasantly surprised at how close the registration plates were - if you can see any more than a bat, you should be fine. After that we headed over to the bike, the questions I was asked:

- 75% coverage of at-least 1mm tread and no damage to the side walls I answered.

Okay now onto the proper stuff. I jumped on the 2001 bandit and was instructed to set off when I was ready... *STALLS*.. started her up again, did my mirror checks and off I went.

For some reason today felt like everyone in the town was on the roads, it was very very busy! I just kept focused, relaxed and breathed deeply. I had a sort of routine in my head which I kept to whilst riding and it seemed to work very well. If I saw the following things, I would remember to do that certain action. For example:

EXITING ROUND ABOUT - wait until after the last exit - signal - life saver over the shoulder which has an empty lane next to it

JUNCTION - mirrors, signal, move to position 1 for left and position 3 for right.

It basically went on like that in my head for the half an hour of riding (which felt like minutes). We got back and I knew I had done okay but didn’t expect to get 0 minors. “GOOD RIDE” he said, which in examiner terms mean, no faults.

The one biggest bit of advice I could give is to practice the roundabouts in your area. In the area I did mine in there were a lot of tricky roundabout systems which had faded road markings and signs covered by tree branches. If you signal too early, or ride in the wrong lane and cut some one up - you’re going to fail.

Other than than just relax, usually the examiners are nice guys who don’t want to be given a reason to fail you. As many other people say “treat him as a sat nav”. They always give you plenty of time in regards to instructions, so you can have chance to keep a look out for road signs, road markings etc.

Best of luck everyone.

Congrats Ryan, well if your up for it we could get out on the ninjas on Sunday if you are free?

PASSED - 0 MINORS

Best of luck everyone.

Congrats Ryan, well if your up for it we could get out on the ninjas on Sunday if you are free?

I’m gunna be tied up until Tuesday mate, I’ll defos give you a shout next week

Guest Richzx6r

PASSED - 0 MINORS

Best of luck everyone.

I’m gunna be tied up until Tuesday mate, I’ll defos give you a shout next week

No problem, I'll let you know what day I get off next week

• 3 weeks later...

Passed mod 2 this morning 🙏

Early start at Gateshead test centre with a lovely examiner who put me at ease straight away. Really enjoyed the ride, asked to pull over at beginning of test for independent riding ( I had worried about this but is so was so much easier than I thought). Instructions clear and precise with plenty time to follow. Up towards Consett and a couple of country roads, A1 and a few housing estate tight streets. Before I knew it back to ten test centre, a couple of minors noted and informed well done.

So pleased after kicking come twice on mod 1 , I found mod 2 so much easier and enjoyable.

Passed with Art of motorcycling North Shields, absolutely brilliant and highly recommend to anyone wanting to pass.Top class instructors, fun and bikes maintained.

Following on from my MOD1 post, passed my MOD2 at an incredibly wet Banbury today with 1 rider fault.

The test centre at Banbury is like a damp old school building with a service road that consists entirely of pot-holes and gravel. Hardest part of the test was getting in and out of the centre without stacking it into a hole in the ground.

Examiner was a very nice guy. Calm, polite and friendly. At no point did I think he wanted anything else but to issue a pass, the rest was down to me.

We set off through the town centre and then around a variety of housing estates and greasy national limit back-roads. Due to conditions I was fairly cautious with the throttle, but didn’t get marked down for that.

Had my head on a swivel to ensure all my observations were noted. Despite being one of my worst rides (very stiff and awkward due to nerves) I didn’t make any critical errors.

On the independent ride I missed a left turn I needed. It came up too soon and although I could have made it if I’d rushed it, I chose to pass it and be safe. Heard a subtle ‘tsk’ through the comms, followed by a “okay, you’ve missed your turning, please could you double back at the next roundabout”. Grabbed the turning on the way back without any probs.

1 rider fault for hesitation. Stopped at a cross-roads intersecting a 50mph road. Examiner pulled up level with me, reasonable gap in traffic, he must have assumed I was about to go as I heard him throttle up ready to pull away, but I bottled it. Knew there and then that was a mark against me, but stayed calm, waited for the next gap, life-savers done and away with no drama.

General meander back to the test centre, right turn in across the ravaged service road, park up without falling over, test done! Soaked to the skin, but passed.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, thanks to everyone who contributed to this forum, for the encouragement and the positive words.

I failed twice my MOD 2 but finally I made it today with the same examiner who failed me the first time.

Today I just said to myself: "Ride for yourself and enjoy it" Got only three minors. I did not pay attention where my examiner is, I just rode the bike as I know it.

I was overs speeding a bit as well and took a wrong exit on my independent ride. On my second test I failed for slow speed and for been to hesitant on the roundabouts. Do not ride slow just be a part of the traffic flow!

They can't fail you for going wrong way as long as you follow the road ahead and showing confidence, but not cockiness. Examiners are bikers too and the bikers are nice people.

Just bare in mind if they see you as a danger to yourself and the other road users they will fail you. If you are in the wrong lane just feck the instructions, follow the road ahead and do not cross the junctions and the roundabout lines where you are not allowed to do so. And don't forget to cancel your indicators on exit. OSM PSL...

At the very end of my test I had to do emergency stop as the idiot who entered the roundabout from the left lane turned to exit right and indicated right just few meters away from me I had to stop with my front wheel over the give way lines. I thought I failed at this moment, but I haven't even had a minor for it.

Was the best ride I ever had on 10yold SV 650.

Just follow your dreams lovely people and do not give up.

I know about a racing rider who failed his mod 2 6 times.

The feeling is great. I've accomplished this task....a childhood dream but become real only 25 years later. I wish to everyone to pass with ease and smile behind the visor.... :bike2:

• 2 weeks later...

I had Mod 2 this morning having passed Mod 1 last week. This was at the Garrets Green Test center in Birmingham.

I arrive only just in time for my test (a couple of minutes to spare) because our (myself, instructor and other DAS participant) relaxing chat in the McDonalds around the corner got away from us. Great no time for nerves. The examiner was the same as had done my Mod 1 assessment and I remembered him as being pleasant.

Show me tell me questions we started on the walk around to the bike; Asked how to know about chain health. Show me how to change from low beam to high beam headlight. Ask how would you instruct a Pillion passenger who has not ridden with you before.

Out of test center soon find ourselves in a place with opportunity for me to pull away from behind a parked car, expected mix of junctions and road situations including some housing estate some main through urban area roadways and some more country lane type stuff.

I had a complete brain fart when asked to follow signs to Coleshill, I missed one sign and did the opposite to the next sign (it said left I indicated right). This was no problem, examiner chose to correct me in enough time to re position for the junction and head in the correct direction. No faults for such crapness :-)

Then some national speed limit bits and finally heading back towards the test center.

Prior to test my instructor had warned me about being too casual with my slow control creeping forwards in anticipation of vehicle in front beginning to pull away meaning I was getting to close to car in front at traffic junction. I over corrected for this today and had two minor faults for hesitation because as opposed to responding to vehicle starting to move I continued with my stop, shoulder check and pull away twice. The examiner said on other days with no-one behind him he would have not faulted it.

Super happy. I have insured my ZZR600 and taxed it and I will take it out after the kids go to bed.