How does inaccurate valve clearence sound?

potatobroxd

Ive recently adjusted my cb125f's valve clearence but I erred on the wider side (although still in spec). The bike sounds alright but I was wondering what a large valve clearence would sound like? Would it be noticeable?

If clearance is too big it will be rattler as it's hitting it and there is more of a gap to take up.

:stupid: 👍

What he said.

If you can't get them spot on, it's better to be too loose than too tight. Too tight can cause excess wear, overheating and shorten the engine life.

If it's within the specs on a cold engine it should be fine.

A little rattly, and maybe a tiny fraction down on power.

Clearences generally tighten up over time, so you could check them again at the next service if it bothers you.

Old school saying....a tappy engine is a happy engine.

A bit to wide and you get a bit of noise. A bit too tight and you’ll be burning valves and losing compression.

So if you have to err always err on the loose side. Never err on the tight side.

Old school saying....a tappy engine is a happy engine.

A bit to wide and you get a bit of noise. A bit too tight and you’ll be burning valves and losing compression.

So if you have to err always err on the loose side. Never err on the tight side.

I thought it was " A flappy tappet is a happy tappet " but your quite right, err on the loose side or ideally in the middle of the acceptable limits .