Eifel Mountains 2019

Gerontious

And we're off again. This year 6 from this forum and one other.

Starting on Saturday 7th September, when we will be riding down to Kent and staying at a Premier Inn overnight.. with a traditional meet and greet meal at the Beefeater next door.

Sunday Morning. Meet at the MacDonalds for a bite of breakfast and a gallon of coffee 07:30 onwards and all being well, leaving from there at 08:15 for the ride to the Tunnel.

Our crossing is at 09:20 and that should have us in France at 10:55 (local)

And then we have a 268 mile ride to our base. I like to take it easy, so we will ride 40 miles and have a quick stop, then another 40 miles and another stop, past Lille and just over the border in Belgium.. then a 65 mile blast to our final motorway stop for lunch. After this its just 18 miles till we get off the Motorway and Join the N4 dual carriageway to Marche-en-Famenne. where we leave the N4 and finally get onto normal roads for the ride to the Northampton Tank at La Roche-en-Ardenne.

M10_La_Roche_2005.thumb.jpg.c71f17cab05a9d9bd441a152b1229de9.jpg

After oohing and aahing at the view over the town, its a more sedate ride to the Border with Luxembourg and the joys of cheap petrol and stunning tarmac.. with more than a few very wiggly roads to enjoy.

1656010896_ScreenShot2019-08-21at15_34_35.thumb.png.734e3c4c6559fa866e058d217af002f5.png

This year we will be crossing to Germany at Vianden.. so another quick pause above the town to ooh and aah at the quite stunning Castle.

castle1.thumb.JPG.d79bba94dc08ff1c93059b0bb8f64240.JPG

And after this its just a 13 mile ride to our hotel.. In Neuerburg, where we stay in the guesthouse behind the main hotel on a very quiet side street.

eifel-gaestehaus-neuerburg.jpeg.42089408ab905624cfdc4aa8de68f562.jpeg

Get our keys.. unpacked, showered and changed and head into the village for the most amazing Kebab and lots of beer. sitting outside thinking.. "here we are again".

Monday morning.. breakfast in the hotel restaurant and then the fun begins... The Eifel (north of the River Mosel) The Hunsruck to the South and a day in the northern part of Luxembourg. And perhaps a lap of the Nurburgring.. its open every day of our week.

This will be our 6th time at this place.. we generally go for two years in a row then have a year off and go somewhere different. Black Forest, south of France. Next year.. hopefully the Alps and Dolomites.

The Eifel is a hidden gem that people tend to bypass.. or hurry through en route to the Nurburgring. A shame as its stunning and in my opinion offers by far the best riding within an easy days ride of Calais.

So.. this is the start of the thread and it will be updated as and when..

Bikes this year.

2 VFR'S

TRX850

2 BMW GS's

Triumph Street Triple

Africa Twin..

Credit to Igloo for the Drone footage below.

">
Edited by Gerontious

do you have a web. link for the hotel In Neuerburg ?

The one we stay at - https://www.schlosshotel-neuerburg.de/en/

Its a very "German" Hotel.. with only the owners wife (Daniela) who speaks english. The owner does.. but is limited.

From year to year we are the only British people that stay there for more than 1 night.. last year they had no english speakers aside from an American couple.

The food is entirely German in character.. so, as soon as I arrive I ask that they do not serve us Sauerkraut. (an acquired taste)

They do an amazing Schnitzel.. which is a firm favourite amongst the group.

Breakfasts are huge... evening meals are 3 courses. simple, home style.

with the pound losing 25% of its value due to the current fiasco, its no longer the bargain it once was. It now works out at about £43 per night Half board including Single occupancy supplement for a double room with en suite. Or a large single with a €5 discount.

They know us well and have never asked for a deposit. Mainly because we are always there 'off season' and the guest house is almost empty.

They have a garage.. within the guest house, but we never use it. Parking is extremely safe.. we have zero worries. None of the group bother with extra security.

So.. the hope is the current disaster is resolved soon and the £ regains its losses and when we return in 2021 it will be the fantastic bargain it always has been.

Thanks ... :cheers: i`m gonna bookmark the hotel .. i`m always on the look-out for suitable accommodation .. and Sauerkraut .. i can eat some but i prefer krautsalat .. otherwise German cuisine is fine ..

They do tend to eat a lot of schweinefleisch though..

Exchange rate .. yeah .. tell me about it .. five years ago we got somewhere near 1.4 euro to the pound .. now its 1.06 euro to the pound .. still i`m hopeful to be returning.. using the Tunnel and not travelling quite as far into the euro zone should help.. :thumb:

Bollox!

Just pulled the big ole lump out to get it prepped and.........

Nothing! Keyless won't work :evil:

Currently parked on a hill so can't push the fekker.

Spare key I dont have with me :crybaby:

Bollox! you can't write it :scratch:

Just euros to collect now.. and buy travel insurance...

Same, I'll be picking mine up from Tui of all places on Friday after work. Though I will have to get a new rear tyre fitted after using the bike a fair bit recently, and the chain has just started creaking around the front sprocket so I guess I can do that at the same time.. At least it turns on reliably though :mrgreen:

Guest Richzx6r

Bollox!

Just pulled the big ole lump out to get it prepped and.........

Nothing! Keyless won't work :evil:

Currently parked on a hill so can't push the fekker.

Spare key I dont have with me :crybaby:

Bollox! you can't write it :scratch:

Ooops, hope ya get it sorted

My rota has just arrived for september and its great. Im working Friday. Monday and Tuesday and then not back until the Wednesday after our return. Perfect. 5 days annual leave = 15 days off. A great side effect of the way our shifts work.

I have just had a pair of Rok straps drop through the letterbox.. a bit more user friendly than my usual Bungees. And my Airseat is now on its way. So.. no larry the lanb this year.

Long range forecast at the moment is low 20s and mainly dry. for Luxembourg city. so.. hopefully it will stay like that.. much better than a heatwave. We'll have a better idea of the actual weather next week.

Just in case anything were to happen to my computer or internet. I will be aiming to get to our same 'meet-up' point as last year at about 2pm. From there we will ride down to South Mimms for a break before the last leg, over the Dartford crossing and on to the Sainsbury to fill up before arriving at the Hotel.

Table at the Beefeater is booked for 8pm and I aim to be arriving sometime between 6 and 7

I will fire off an email to the Schloss next week just to ensure everything is tickety-boo and our room keys will be waiting for collection. The Saray grill opening times are unchanged.. closes at 11pm. So on the day, a late breakfast at Eureka. late lunch at SPY. probably around 2-3pm. And the the now traditional kebab and beer once we arrive are freshened up and ready for a stroll into the village.

That's nice not being back til the Wednesday, though I'm glad I don't work Sundays as it's normally just about enough to warm up after the guaranteed cold rainy stint off the train to up Norf.

The rokstraps are alright, I'll be lashing my stuff on with them also. I've had a delivery too, a set of cables for the new carbs, should have a go at fitting them tonight.

Have you managed to shift that beamer yet Mr GOATy?

I did, turns out it was just a flat battery? or faulty fob! who knows :scratch: i'll take spares with me just incase.

I also found out that the bike can be started by tapping the key under the rear mudguard which is a faff but at least it gets you moving.

Sill need to order some bits so best get cracking.

I am still crying about Euros but they are sorted, I've realised that I don't have any euro break down insurance so I need to sort that but thats easy. My biggest issue is all the student accommodation that I'm project managing didn't complete yesterday like it should have done, assurances from the contractors have been made that it'll be done for next Friday but so much for an easier week leading up to the trip.

Bikes running well though :D

Ive stopped thinking about the price of euros.. just bought my usual amount and thats that.

2 more shifts to work and then I finish on tuesday the 3rd at 10 and dont go back until weds 18th. 5 days leave = 15 days off. :mrgreen:

This week coming just a matter of whittling down all the routes I have to a more practical number.. compare them so theres little repetition and then transfer them onto the sat nav.

Going for the most direct route possible for the return.. so should be quicker. Via Bastogne, rather than La Roche.

Weather is talking about some very light rain on the sunday.. but Im not going to worry about that, its bound to change later in the week. aside from that... forecast for Bitburg is high 60s for our week.. starting cloudy and improving. but again, early days. But little chance of the kinds of heatwave we've had the past few times which is fine by me.

we might need to be prepared for cooler evenings than the last time.

But see how the weather develops...

and thats it really.. just a week to go.

This week coming just a matter of whittling down all the routes I have to a more practical number.. compare them so there's little repetition and then transfer them onto the sat nav.

any gpx. or .gdb floating around i`ll have a copy :mrgreen:

Create your own, as I have. This is a good start. Eifel...= https://www.dropbox.com/s/whcvtb8yp4c2bhv/Eifel%20Luxembourgl.pdf?dl=0 and this, Luxembourg...= https://www.dropbox.com/s/2uunr15px8qccj0/Luxembourg.pdf?dl=0

Only road on there to avoid.. like the plague is the N67 that runs from Monschau (ish) to Eupen across the Hohe Venn.. its a road from Hell. (one of many in Belgium)

Stay within Germany and Luxembourg and you wont go wrong. Be sure to head for the viewing spot above Piesport. as its absolutely stunning. here: https://goo.gl/maps/ZN7iNeAD63sefeYXA

2017-10-14.jpg.e74cedc03a3a8f2fc9808609c5ad73f4.jpg