Honda XL500

Cooky1968

Please help, I recently purchased a 1982 Honda XL 500, lovely bike but I am having real trouble starting. I have gone through many start up procedures but keeping getting a kick back.

It has a decomp lever that seems to make things worst. I just need a reliable way to start the bike. Any advice will be welcomed. Thank you

Please help, I recently purchased a 1982 Honda XL 500, lovely bike but I am having real trouble starting. I have gone through many start up procedures but keeping getting a kick back.

It has a decomp lever that seems to make things worst. I just need a reliable way to start the bike. Any advice will be welcomed. Thank you

Start with a new plug correctly gapped . Strip and clean the carb paying particular attention to the pilot jet and float level . Check that the ignition timing is spot on. ( this could be where your kickback is coming from ) As far as starting technique is concerned , only you can acquire the " Knack " but I'd probably experiment with different choke and throttle settings . On a day like today I wouldn't use any choke or throttle to start with . Good luck . Oh , and wear a strong boot . I've seen a kickstart go through the side of someone's foot and it was not a pleasant sight .

As per Bob's advice plus. The decompressor lever - With ignition OFF, decompress OFF, slowly push the kickstart down until you feel the most pressure. Decompress ON, Ignition OFF, (ensure fuel is ON), push kickstart down approximately 1/4 travel. Release Kickstart. Decompress OFF, Ignition ON, put foot on kickstart and kick down full travel HARD. It you have everthing right, you should hit the compression stroke approximately 3/4 travel and, with your full weight (leg straight) on the kickstart it should not 'kick back'. Once running, you may need to adjust the timing.

One other check - Is the auto-advance working (not sticking)?

:cheers:

As per Bob's advice plus. The decompressor lever - With ignition OFF, decompress OFF, slowly push the kickstart down until you feel the most pressure. Decompress ON, Ignition OFF, (ensure fuel is ON), push kickstart down approximately 1/4 travel. Release Kickstart. Decompress OFF, Ignition ON, put foot on kickstart and kick down full travel HARD. It you have everthing right, you should hit the compression stroke approximately 3/4 travel and, with your full weight (leg straight) on the kickstart it should not 'kick back'. Once running, you may need to adjust the timing.

One other check - Is the auto-advance working (not sticking)?

:cheers:

There speaks a man who knows how to kick start a bike . The last bikes I kick started were all CG125's so nothing much to it with those .

I've had motorcycles since I was 16 and it is only recently (comparatively) that there has been the luxury of an electric starter. The hardest to start were the A10 and AJS500 single.

I did have the Honda (a good all-rounder but too heavy - I was a mere 8 stone then!).

A sprained ankle taught me how not to try and kickstart a 'big' bike!

8-)