Is riding a bike tiring?

Sir Stanley Hubris

Just back from 2 days riding round the Lake District. Including getting there and back I’ve probably only done about 300 miles and I’m absolutely knackered! Now I know it’s been very hot and maybe a 14 stone rider with tank bag and full leathers is a bit much for my Street Triple 675 but surely biking shouldn’t feel like this?

I’m just recently back into biking after 10 years away and have always been a 100 - 150 miles in a single ride once a week kind of guy so am I just soft, is my bike too small (meaning in forever changing gear) or is riding a bike really hard work?

A lot depends on the bike and the type of riding you do. I find 300 miles is quite doable but that's on main roads. On minor roads 50 miles can be wearing and 5 miles in bad traffic in town can be a killer.

500 miles is about my limit, though I did 950 once. Only possible when you have your own bed to look forward to and no distractions once at home to keep you up. Going, this same 500 miles is spread over 2 days and is ridden in as relaxed a manner as possible with plenty of rest stops.. Some might think too many. But, the result is what counts.. Arriving at our destination tired but not completely worn out. Because the next day there is another 200 and the day after and the day after and so on. Stop. Have a drink. Go to the loo. Stretch your legs. Walk around a little. This is what works for me.

Hi [mention]Sir Stanley Hubris[/mention] as you say you just got back into bikes after 10 years, so yes using muscles not normally used! I've ridden bikes all my life, I limit my mileage to around 400 - 500 with the missus, but on my own around 800 a day, but yes depends on circumstances, last week we were on Holiday near Leyburn, and did a run down to Barrow in Furness, then up coast to Keswick and back to Leyburn it was fine, 2 days later did Halifax, greater Manchester and near Blackpool same mileage but more Town work, Knackered and it was only 235 miles!! Did 1700 miles in 7 days.

My advice just keep riding, and It will become easier with time :D

Hi [mention]Bender[/mention] , lot's of people fall asleep especially at the wheel of car's. Me I always ridden bikes all my working life, took my car test at 58, after i retired, brought my first car this year at 65, worked as a courier for 2 years in the 80's did on average 48000 miles a year. As a engineer rest of working life average between 28000 - 34000 miles a year, never fell asleep on bike.

Since learning to drive I find if I'm in slow traffic on hot days I drift off, 3 time's now I've hit the kerb, hence I still ride more than I drive, last year 25500 on bike , car 5000 and that includes wife's mileage. Something I not proud of, but car's are bloody boring 😀

Psychologically tiring, your concentrating harder, moving around on the machine and you will tire faster, especially in hot weather, make sure you drink plenty of water, when I went to Verbier I was getting the best nights sleeps I'd had in ages, I was knackered at the end of each day.

Some of it will depend on the bike, 30 miles on my RGV is about my limit, have done around 250 miles in a day on the R1 and felt shattered after but I reckon I could ride the scooter all day much more relaxed riding position.

Might be different if I was 30 years younger aswell.

Another factor is the noise, wearing earplugs helps alot!

I'm so used to them that I cant not wear them even when I'm commuting to work, which is a 25 mins ride on A roads.

Over 50 mph and the wind noise is too much. Maybe I'm a pansy! But I like to keep my hearing.

Guest Richzx6r

Another factor is the noise, wearing earplugs helps alot!

I'm so used to them that I cant not wear them even when I'm commuting to work, which is a 25 mins ride on A roads.

Over 50 mph and the wind noise is too much. Maybe I'm a pansy! But I like to keep my hearing.

Eh??? Can you speak up

Guest Richzx6r

I used to be a motorcycle courier albeit only for 6 months but I covered nearly 32000 miles in the 6 months, now on my ninja my knee starts protesting after around 70 miles so I just pull over for a quick rest then do the next 70 or so miles.

Most I did in a day when a courier was around 850 miles while was a killer

Lots of points raised have hit the nail on the head ... yes riding a motorbike can be tiring. And for some of the factors mentioned. And some of the factors you mentioned too. A couple of years ago I decided to downsize after riding all manner of bikes since the early 70's. So for me it was off a BMW1100 and on to an ER6N. The first thing I noticed was I seemed to be getting tired more often on the Kawasaki. I've put this down to the smaller physical size of the bike ( I too am just over 14 stone ) and the busy nature of keeping a 650 engine buzzing. Jumping from an 1100 to a 650 means I have to move and think differently, judging overtaking ... throttle control ... braking ... cornering ... wind resistance ... But I have persevered so far and it seems to be paying off. On runs out I just take more comfort stops. And I'm getting quite used to stopping more often and taking in my surroundings. But for me, yes, riding a smaller bike is more tiring.

Lots of points raised have hit the nail on the head ... yes riding a motorbike can be tiring. And for some of the factors mentioned. And some of the factors you mentioned too. A couple of years ago I decided to downsize after riding all manner of bikes since the early 70's. So for me it was off a BMW1100 and on to an ER6N. The first thing I noticed was I seemed to be getting tired more often on the Kawasaki. I've put this down to the smaller physical size of the bike ( I too am just over 14 stone ) and the busy nature of keeping a 650 engine buzzing. Jumping from an 1100 to a 650 means I have to move and think differently, judging overtaking ... throttle control ... braking ... cornering ... wind resistance ... But I have persevered so far and it seems to be paying off. On runs out I just take more comfort stops. And I'm getting quite used to stopping more often and taking in my surroundings. But for me, yes, riding a smaller bike is more tiring.

Oddly enough I found the exact opposite to be the case . I stopped touring on my GSXR 1100 and bought a knackered ER5 to do up . I did two tours of the Scottish Highlands on it ( From Coventry ) with no rider fatigue whatsoever . I rode all the way to Bridge of Orchy in one go taking in Yorkshire and the Lake District and I only stopped because it was dark . I went as far north as Durness and it was the most enjoyable touring I've ever done .

WP_20180717_12_40_40_Pro.thumb.jpg.da0277ebda0a3c64e59e32a5020bb7af.jpg

Guest Richzx6r

On the flip side me and the missus have just been out on the bike and did just shy of 100 miles though it was round the weardale and teesdale hills and various other twisty roads and I feel shattered

Guest Richzx6r

Bigger cc bikes are definitely easier to ride, same as having a larger capacity car they are better mile munchers but smaller capacity ones are more fun on the twisty stuff

Bigger cc bikes are definitely easier to ride, same as having a larger capacity car they are better mile munchers but smaller capacity ones are more fun on the twisty stuff

Personally I find a nominal 950 cc and a 113 bhp about right. Big enough to go all day and not so much to be knackering.

I found that day or two are not so bad with 5 to 6 hrs ride a day

But as I usually go for 2-3 weeks fully loaded + pillion each day 300 + miles after 4-5 days it feels like shit

As I did it same with the car and it wasn’t 10% difficult as on the bike ( but also not 10% interesting) I am sure that riding bike it is much more engaging

Several Factors to consider - the Bike itself of course - how comfy is riding position? How comfy is the seat? How do you and your pillion fit e.g. small bike 2 big people equals being uncomfy!!! Too big a bike and its stretch arms and maybe legs - There are lots of riders around you see that can barely handle the inappropriate size of machine cos its THE bike to have!! or cos a mate has one. Be individual and choose something that really suits - assuming yours does not already do that.

I have ridden all manner of machine over the years and have struggled with some just to have that bike....................................

INow I ride a honda cb500X sometimes 2 up with luggage and its just great, fits me perfectly - yes it rides that much better solo and even better with no luggage and having recently done Europe 2,500 miles in 9 days it was equally good fun and comfy.

So now its time evaluate yourself and machine honestly. Have fun Ride safe :D :D