Insurance help

RicFatBob

All, I've just moved back to London from Maidenhead and my premium has just gone so high no company wants to insure me (not even Third Party Only cover).

I've tried most of sites and large inruance companies, but they all use the same system, so always the same answer.

If I don't find an insurance by Friday I will have to sell the motorbike.

Any tips? Anyone?

Desperado here!

If have you been using comparison sites or their online quotes you will get outrageous results, far better to speak to them directly, human contact will yield better results :thumb:

I've just had a whopping £78 per annum knocked off my premium on the Harley . No idea why but I ain't complaining . Thank you Swinton . Sorry , not helping .

I've just had a whopping £78 per annum knocked off my premium on the Harley . No idea why but I ain't complaining . Thank you Swinton . Sorry , not helping .

How do you do it, Bob? Mine never goes down! I even took the IAM test and it went up even more!

Thanks all. I'll try the local broker and see if I get lucky. I just don't understand how much damage I can cause in London that couldn't cause in Maidenhead

It’s not the damage you could cause, it’s the number of bikes stolen by toe rags that inflate the insurance quotes!

How do you do it, Bob? Mine never goes down! I even took the IAM test and it went up even more!

I don't actually know , it's slightly worrying . I think my broker , Swinton , said that they are obligated to find me the best available deal . My concern is that there may be alterations to the terms and conditions . I really can't be bothered to plough through the wad of paperwork that they sent . What's also a bit annoying is that I'm paying nearly as much for the ER5 now .

All of my insurances came down this year, cars, van and bike? Nothing changed except 1 year older.

I don't actually know , it's slightly worrying . I think my broker , Swinton , said that they are obligated to find me the best available deal . My concern is that there may be alterations to the terms and conditions . I really can't be bothered to plough through the wad of paperwork that they sent . What's also a bit annoying is that I'm paying nearly as much for the ER5 now .

Swinton have a policy of trying to encourage their customers to aspire to better bikes. That's when they hammer you. :D

Thanks all. I'll try the local broker and see if I get lucky. I just don't understand how much damage I can cause in London that couldn't cause in Maidenhead

It’s not the damage you could cause, it’s the number of bikes stolen by toe rags that inflate the insurance quotes!

That should not matter if the insurance doesn't cover theft, does it? Or am I missing something here?

Swinton have a policy of trying to encourage their customers to aspire to better bikes. That's when they hammer you. :D

Not quite sure I understand , I've got the most expensive bike I've ever owned and they have just rewarded me by knocking a big chunk off the insurance . So how are they going to hammer me ?

That should not matter if the insurance doesn't cover theft, does it? Or am I missing something here?

Good point - third party only as opposed to including fire and theft should be no more expensive in London. That said they probably look at how often insurers have to pay out for third party and it's probably still highest in... London.

Not quite sure I understand , I've got the most expensive bike I've ever owned and they have just rewarded me by knocking a big chunk off the insurance . So how are they going to hammer me ?

Sorry [mention]fastbob[/mention] , my post was a very poor attempt at trying to take the piss. Now't nasty intended.

Sorry @fastbob , my post was a very poor attempt at trying to take the piss. Now't nasty intended.

No offense taken old chap .

Insurance doesn't make any sense to me. My 125 cost 89 quid a year fully comp with 1 years ncb. My CBR costs 208 quid a year fully comp. So a bike with 10 times more power and 3 times the value only cost 120 quid a year more. I know it's not just about power and speed but it doesn't make sense.

Dave.

Insurance is generally governed by statistics, and if you look at the stats a 125cc motorcyle is at greater risk of being stolen than a larger cc one, people tend to cherish the larger bikes and give them better security, 125's are on the whole a stop gap and not usually as cherished, therefore security is at best basic and quite easily bypassed, therefore premiums are higher, and highest of all in the crime hotspots, London being the major one, but most cities will have a high percentage of bike related thefts compared to minor villages out in the sticks, but until as such time as these thieving scum are sentenced appropriately and made to pay properly, it will only continue to get worse :cheers: