Who made your bike.....

dynax

I dont think any site that requires that you enter either your reg number, but particularly your full VIN is a good thing.

I took one look at the page and what it was asking for and closed the window.

Honda Vins describe the county of manufacture. the factory. the model and the production number. obviously its that final number thats the important bit, that is unique. Most sites ask for the first X number of digits so your privacy is protected. This one did not and I found that far too dodgy for my taste.

anybody can walk up to a bike and photograph the VIN and reg number no difference, in fact that is an easier way to clone a vehicle, a website only asking for a reg or VIN to be entered only displays the VIN which can be partially scrubbed out if screenshotted, no reg is displayed or colour :thumb:

edit: they could even photo the engine number too, which isn't displayed on the website, so parking your bike at a shopping centre is more vulnerable to have it's details recorded by somebody than having some part of it on a website :cheers:

There seems to be a lot of conspiracy theorists on this forum. :lol:

Agreed. The website allows anyone to enter any numberplate and it gives them the vin so this must be a public database. Posting screenshot here is no concern as crims could just enter some plates and get it anyway.

Agreed. The website allows anyone to enter any numberplate and it gives them the vin so this must be a public database. Posting screenshot here is no concern as crims could just enter some plates and get it anyway.

I never used to be a conspiracy theorist but I think that years of exposure to Chemtrails is taking its toll . Watch the skies . 🤪

Great thread that perfectly demonstrates how people are surprisingly trusting of websites just because they have been shared by people they know and happily supply sensitive information without questioning where it's going.

From a infosec point of view it provides great insight into how to build a successful phishing site. :thumb:

Woooooooooo, the Internet bogey man’s gonna get me.

I supplied my reg and nothing else, but don’t let that get in the way of a good conspiracy theory 😂

I supplied my reg and nothing else, but don’t let that get in the way of a good conspiracy theory 😂

Not saying this was an unsafe site, but the willingness to hand over sensitive information without question is what's interesting from an infosec point of view and your device you used to visit the site handed over far more information than you think :wink:

Not saying this was an unsafe site, but the willingness to hand over sensitive information without question is what's interesting from an infosec point of view and your device you used to visit the site handed over far more information than you think :wink:

That's it, I'm gonna get rid of the bike and my device now, I can start to feel the paranoia creeping in. 7035.gif

I never used to be a conspiracy theorist but I think that years of exposure to Chemtrails is taking its toll . Watch the skies . 🤪

Ha, if you think this site is paranoid go to a beekeepers forum and look into chemtrails and ley lines. Fox Mulder has nothing on some of the weirdos out there. There are little grey beings just waiting to take over your bike if you allow it to be seen in public.

Great thread that perfectly demonstrates how people are surprisingly trusting of websites just because they have been shared by people they know and happily supply sensitive information without questioning where it's going.

From a infosec point of view it provides great insight into how to build a successful phishing site. :thumb:

Its just your reg mate, wouldnt sweat about it too much since most people post it when selling their bikes anyway :thumb:

I think you need to learn more about infosec... to get started, please provide me your credit card number and the 3 digits on the back [strikeout]for me to steal[/strikeout] for verification purposes

Its just your reg mate, wouldnt sweat about it too much since most people post it when selling their bikes anyway :thumb:

I think you need to learn more about infosec... to get started, please provide me your credit card number and the 3 digits on the back [strikeout]for me to steal[/strikeout] for verification purposes

You can trust me because my father was a UN ambassador to Nigeria and all funds will be deposited in your bank account for a charity protecting nuns, kittens and unicorns

There are so many scams out there, that unless you really have no idea they are so easy to spot, even after time your own instincts become tuned to what is or isn't a scam :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Honda CBR600F, a 2013 one.

Was made in Italy :shock:

I'm assured built to Honda's quality standards, which sounds like they know Italian bikes often... What's the words... Stop working :lol:

I'm a life long Aprilia fan, so I'm not saying that strictly from a stereotype!

Honda CBR600F, a 2013 one.

Was made in Italy :shock:

I'm assured built to Honda's quality standards, which sounds like they know Italian bikes often... What's the words... Stop working :lol:

I'm a life long Aprilia fan, so I'm not saying that strictly from a stereotype!

look at the VIN. if the first letter is J then theres not much guesswork involved as to where it was made. (not Italy)

You can trust me because my father was a UN ambassador to Nigeria and all funds will be deposited in your bank account for a charity protecting nuns, kittens and unicorns

NUNS! They're like penguins only meaner.. I'm in, I'll pm my details right away.