Neighbours complain about the noise (of the bike)

lib

The council in my experiance wil probably do nothing, if you find out who it is just tell them to f**k off and get a life!!

well worked for me with my neighbours!! :lol:

Oh and the sound of your bike cant be as annoying as barking f**king mutts! :twisted:

I work for a local authority and deal with complaints on a daily basis albeit not noise pollution.

What I will say is that I doubt the council has sided with your neighbor, I bet the council are being hounded by them and are just sending you a letter for an easy life.

Do three things, first speak to your neighbor (the council will encourage this to avoid the formality of a compliant over something which is pretty trivial). Take a responsible calm person like a parent and knock on the door, explain that what you are doing is not in breach of any byelaw and you will be taking the matter further with the council.

Then ring the council, make sure you speak to the person who signed the letter, don't except someone who is dealing with the case. Explain you will hold the line, ring back whatever needed to speak to the person, just stay calm. When you speak to the person first ask for the operational manager's name, address and email address, this will instantly get their attention. Tell the person you run a fully taxed,insured road worthy bike (as I suspect they may think it's a motocrosser or something) and that you've had the bike tested for sound and it fall well within the legal limits (just blag it)! Explain you feel you are being victimized by the local council and if you receive any further unfounded, shot in the dark threats you will complain to the local government ombudsman.

Lastly get a letter of complaint sent to the operational manager detailing what you said to on the phone. As you have now complained in writing they will bend over backwards to keep it unofficial and keep you away from the ombudsman, It will take you an hour to all the above and I bet the next letter you get from the council will be an apology.

Believe me the council will always side with the person who barks the loudest.

Talking about mutts, I had the council on to me about mine at a previous address.

They need complaints from two different addresses (so it isn't just the one neighbour), they will be given a diary to fill out, dates/times & duration of the noise (do one of your own).

In my case the council then came around and sat outside my house and monitored the noise, after which they advised me that I seem to have a neighbour problem, as they (the council) could not find a noise problem.

The council have a legal obligation not to reveal who the complainant is. I took a guess and was told I was looking in the right direction. The complaint was about barking throughout the day, the one complainant worked during the day but her diary corroborated the times of the other complainant who didn't work (odd that !) Oh did I mention they were sisters (council loved that one).

The council wrote to the complainants and informed them of their findings, So if you are as squeaky as you profess to be (and I believe you) then you do not have any problems, however if you aren't as squeaky as you make out to be you could have the offending item (your bike) confiscated. Harsh I know, but those are the facts as happened to me.

i have bn here with neighbours dog barking ! they will get a sound recorded to record your noise ! its very unlikely any thing will come of this we had it here for about 2 weeks & they barked alot nothing got done as it never went on for long enough (the barking)

if your not revving for 10 minutes 20 times a day i dout they hav a case !!

"IMO"

Cracking Thread,

Its a shame people are like this. I hope you can get it all sorted soon

I am toying with the idea of having the council tell them to remove the ugly ass caravan they have illegally parked on their drive (as they are not allowed to keep it there). I don't really want to have a bad relationship with the neighbours, but it does look like they are going to be annoying gits regardless. Perhaps this will give them reason to think twice about complaining again. I wanted to go and talk to them, but I have been advised that it is not a good idea.

How can a caravan be illegally parked on a drive? I'm not challenging you, I just wondered what is illegal about it! I would counter complain, that'll teach em'!

D3nch

How can a caravan be illegally parked on a drive? I'm not challenging you, I just wondered what is illegal about it! I would counter complain, that'll teach em'!

d3nch

Conditions attached to the freehold or leasehold, Many builders do this some do not allow pet rabbits to be kept or extensions to be built.

I discovered this myself when I sold my last house, there was a conservertory on when I bought nothing was said, when I came to sell this covenent was brought to light. I then had to make an attempt to contact a builder who no longer existed and then have it taken off at cost to me.

d3nch

Conditions attached to the freehold or leasehold, Many builders do this some do not allow pet rabbits to be kept or extensions to be built.

I discovered this myself when I sold my last house, there was a conservertory on when I bought nothing was said, when I came to sell this covenent was brought to light. I then had to make an attempt to contact a builder who no longer existed and then have it taken off at cost to me.

I'm not allowed to buy a conservatory for 5 years, I'm not allowed to build any structures in the garden, I can't keep chickens in my front garden (!) and I'm not allowed to hang washing out front either (like I would, lol). And I 'own' my house (well, Abbey own it, tbh).

In my old rented house I wasn't allowed to keep motorbikes on the property. I still did, but the landlady didn't seem to mind too much.

• 9 years later...

Hi,

I have one of those neighbours. I had a secure bike shed at the front of my house, she complained to the council, I had to remove it as I did not have planning consent.

I work nights 4 on 4 off I get home about 4am on my bike. She has made a complaint verbally to my wife, She even said why can't he use the car or buy a quieter bike, i'm sure she will take it further. My bike is road legal, I don't rev it excessively and turn it off to manoeuvre for locking it up with the engine off. I'm worried as to what the council will make of it. My immediate neighbours don't mind, (the moaner lives two doors up) one thinks the complainant is crazy.

I have ordered a ramp so I don't need to rev to get it over the pavement and on to my property, so have made steps to reduce noise, haven't told her this yet but will keep it for when the council write.

Hi,

I have one of those neighbours. I had a secure bike shed at the front of my house, she complained to the council, I had to remove it as I did not have planning consent.

I work nights 4 on 4 off I get home about 4am on my bike. She has made a complaint verbally to my wife, She even said why can't he use the car or buy a quieter bike, i'm sure she will take it further. My bike is road legal, I don't rev it excessively and turn it off to manoeuvre for locking it up with the engine off. I'm worried as to what the council will make of it. My immediate neighbours don't mind, (the moaner lives two doors up) one thinks the complainant is crazy.

I have ordered a ramp so I don't need to rev to get it over the pavement and on to my property, so have made steps to reduce noise, haven't told her this yet but will keep it for when the council write.

I'm sorry but if my neighbour decided they had a problem with my bikes and started playing games. I would also start playing games with them. And I know who would win because I would terrorize the f*** out of them !

Guest Richzx6r

If that was one of my neighbour's I would actually start making more noise just to annoy them but then I'm just a c*nt :twisted:

I'd also do any running maintenance outside their house just because the ground around their house may be slightly more level than it is at my own and I don't want the bike to fall over whilst I balance the carbs and check for exhaust leaks

If that was one of my neighbour's I would actually start making more noise just to annoy them but then I'm just a c*nt :twisted:

I'd also do any running maintenance outside their house just because the ground around their house may be slightly more level than it is at my own and I don't want the bike to fall over whilst I balance the carbs and check for exhaust leaks

Exactly :twisted:

My opposite neighbor has a 1600 Marauder with straight pipes and no baffles at all so I've absolutely nothing to worry about with my V&H Straightshots on the Sporty . The rest of the neighbours are too wrecked to complain . Sweet !

PhotoEditor_20190830_205200880.thumb.jpg.d85db90e4f75437a5d5e975b279d2cba.jpg

My opposite neighbor has a 1600 Marauder with straight pipes and no baffles at all so I've absolutely nothing to worry about with my V&H Straightshots on the Sporty . The rest of the neighbours are too wrecked to complain . Sweet !

that's the best bike security I have ever seen. Apparently there has been a spate of cats being stolen from cars. I'd like to see them attempt to nick Bob. :D

My neighbours are brilliant, most of them are drugged up to the eyeballs with anti depressants and pain killers or receiving psychiatric help. The sound of my motorcycle is the least of their problems. :D

My neighbours are brilliant, most of them are drugged up to the eyeballs with anti depressants and pain killers or receiving psychiatric help. The sound of my motorcycle is the least of their problems. :D

How were they before you moved in ? 😜

• Haha 1

Normal probably :D

What do you reckon Bob the cat and white dog are saying to each other?

Dog; sit on this bike and you are toast.

Cat; I wouldn't sit on that fake Harley even I have standards.

Dog; Come down here and say that you piece of sh1t.

Cat; yawn, CBA.

Our nearest neighbours are brilliant, on one side they warned us of this woman saying that she had asked them to move their car so she can park outside her house. Am thinking of inviting a few biker mates up for a brew.

What do you reckon Bob the cat and white dog are saying to each other?

Dog; sit on this bike and you are toast.

Cat; I wouldn't sit on that fake Harley even I have standards.

Dog; Come down here and say that you piece of sh1t.

Cat; yawn, CBA.

Actually they are the best of friends .

• 2 weeks later...

Is the dog saying to bob, "I'm Jealous cos I can't get on the bike like you" :D

• 3 years later...

I love my bikes but recognise they can be a bit noisy sometimes. Do what I did and rent a small workshop/ unit for a few quid a month on an industrial estate well out the way and then I do not upset anyone and I can rev/ work on my bike to my hearts content. It works for me and my neighbours. Also, you will frequently be advised that the allowable noise limit is 96 decibels. However, these figures are from the Noise at Work Regulations which do not apply to domestic residences and certainly do not apply to the annoyance factor of our sometimes noisy hobby. I know, I have been tempted to think "Feck em", I am going to do what I want" but really we all have to live together at the end of the day.