Thinking of Offering Days out for Pillions in Stunning places

BMWTourer

I'd like to offer people the chance to ride pillion on my GS1200 in nice places - maybe starting with UK but then including Alps, Vosges, Picos etc -

for a day or two.

I'm in the process of researching.

So, Questions are:

Is there a market for this ?

ie Would people be willing to get on a 'strangers' bike - I've been riding for 17years continally since returning to biking. I've toured Europe every year for the last 7 years. I am IAM Advanced rider with Clean Licence, no Points, mid fifties, married with kids.

Instead of doing pillion, why not be a guide for small groups, organise trips provide them with intercoms and give them a tour, research the places and tell them about the history and anything else interesting about the places you visit :cheers:

There are bike "taxi's" in London they must have insurance so it's possible, but I'm not sure there is a market for it. As suggested by dynax I think you would have more chance with organising tours especially abroad a lot of new riders would welcome help with their first trip abroad.

There are other problem to consider.

Who supplies the riding gear, helmet, jacket, trousers, boots and gloves? this is expensive and multiple sizes would be required.

Would the customers want to wear a second hand helmet.

If the customer is to supply the gear this would make it cost prohibitive for a maybe one off trip.

Like I said, nice idea doing what you love as a business but in reality, impractical!

Instead of doing pillion, why not be a guide for small groups, organise trips provide them with intercoms and give them a tour, research the places and tell them about the history and anything else interesting about the places you visit :cheers:

Lot of well established competition there. Even supplying intercoms wouldn't be cheap. I think if it was practical it would already be a well known 'thing'.

that market is saturated .. most do not want to pay a premium for something they can organise themselves....

Not sure what the market would be for just a pillion sitting on the back of a bike especially if they don't know the person well. Not sure if a sidercar attached to the bike would be any safer however they would get to see more of the landscape over sitting behind the rider.

Also, I have no idea on the comfort level on the GS but is it as good as sitting on a Goldwing?

I’m still here, just listening.

Appreciate the advice and feedback. Thanks to all.

Yes, insurance is proving to be a big hurdle but I havnt given up yet.

As mentioned, There are Bike taxis, so someone must insure them.

I realise it could be a huge cost, but I can’t even get a figure yet.

I also realise that kit will be a hurdle to overcome, but again, not

Given up yet.

Still chasing my pipe dream from my armchair.

Wouldn’t it be great if it works tho 😃

I think this business plan will be cost prohibitive with insurance and clothing. I mean how much is one person prepared to pay to be a pillion.

The hire and reward insurance used by bike taxi firms would be UK only, prices will soar if you are thinking of going to Europe.

Good luck with your dream, but I think it is just that.

I think the concept is definitely cool but it's the execution that is the issue here which everyone has mentioned in the post already. It really does look like a very niche market you will be catering too. Maybe if you isolate it to one area where all landmarks are very accessible just to test the market you may be able to see if it is doable before expanding further afield.

I have a couple of friends that run tour companies and they need multiple customers on any one trip to make it pay. I can't see taking one passenger on a trip can be profitable unless you charge exorbitant rates which will put people off.

Just plan your own trips, take off and enjoy :P