A2 or restricted Sport Tourer?

hussnainh8

Hi,

Not had any luck looking for a 600cc super sport which is around 785mm ride height and that you dont have to lean forward so much. Been to look at a SV650 2004 which is 800mm ride height and I am about 2 inches of the floor and the handle bars are so forward that I have to lean so much to get to them and instead of looking up at the road, I would end up looking down at the tank because of the angle of my body. Literally a pain. So I have decided if I cant go for a super sport type of motorbike, I am going to have to go for a Sport tourer. So.....

What sport tourer motorbike is out there which is 600cc and can be restricted to be legal to drive on an A2 licence. I am 5'4 (160cm) with a leg inseam of 28 inches. I have short arms so I would need a bike that I can reach the handlebars comfortably. If anyone knows a super sport 600 or a2 licence compatible super sport with a ride height no more than 785mm (narrow saddle) please let me know.

Thanks.

Depends on your budget, there's probably a lot of choices under about £4k

Honda deauville would probably be about right in terms of height/reach - I think they're 700 cc, tuned for longevity rather than performance - no idea if they are restrict able though.

WK bikes do a 650 tourer - decent for a Chinese bike, again you'd have to do some research re restricting it.

If you want sports then maybe try a late 80's/early 90's Japanese 400: cbr/vfr/zxr/gsx/fzr. They were designed for the Japanese market, so mainly grey imports, all very small, compact bikes, plenty quick enough and great handling. One of these in good condition will be £2k - £4k ish

Depends on your budget, there's probably a lot of choices under about £4k

Honda deauville would probably be about right in terms of height/reach - I think they're 700 cc, tuned for longevity rather than performance - no idea if they are restrict able though.

WK bikes do a 650 tourer - decent for a Chinese bike, again you'd have to do some research re restricting it.

If you want sports then maybe try a late 80's/early 90's Japanese 400: cbr/vfr/zxr/gsx/fzr. They were designed for the Japanese market, so mainly grey imports, all very small, compact bikes, plenty quick enough and great handling. One of these in good condition will be £2k - £4k ish

Budget around 2k no more than that and to be honest would like a sports bike. Thinking will go to the dealer ship tomorrow and try some bikes out if possible. Have seen the old sport bikes.. Good power etc but just look very old.

Thanks.

Given your physique and your budget I fear you are going to be very restricted in what's available to you and is comfortable for you to ride. Sports tourers are not notably lower than pure sports bikes, if anything they tend to be larger.

Given your physique and your budget I fear you are going to be very restricted in what's available to you and is comfortable for you to ride. Sports tourers are not notably lower than pure sports bikes, if anything they tend to be larger.

Yes I was going to say that, your wanting a lot of specifics for very little budget. I think there is going to have compromise somewhere.

Take a look at this

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Seems inaccurate for me.. Tried for the SV650 that I went to look at yestarday and put height has 5'4 with inseam of 28inches and it seems fine. Untill I went to the see the bike and tried it for myself. I was leaning so far to grab the handle bars that my chest was almost hitting the fuel tank. Very uncomfortable but using the website it seems fine.

You may have to have a bit of a rethink as to what you can get. Most sports bikes put you in a 'jockey' position so you are going to be lent forward and if that's a issue for you it will pretty much rule them all out. As said, sports tourers are going to be more upright but are generally going to have a higher seat height and be more bulky/wider in the saddle and have lower pegs.

You may have to find something that 75% fits and lower it or fit different bars to make it fit you better, but you are probably going to struggle to find something that works out the box.

You may have to have a bit of a rethink as to what you can get. Most sports bikes put you in a 'jockey' position so you are going to be lent forward and if that's a issue for you it will pretty much rule them all out. As said, sports tourers are going to be more upright but are generally going to have a higher seat height and be more bulky/wider in the saddle and have lower pegs.

You may have to find something that 75% fits and lower it or fit different bars to make it fit you better, but you are probably going to struggle to find something that works out the box.

unless it's a cruiser :lol: :cheers:

So I have been out today at the dealership testing some bikes out and the bike I fit perfectly is the ninja 400 which has a seat height of 785mm. However, because I want it to be a 600cc (Just like the engine sound and big shape of it) I came back home to do some more research for bikes with a 785mm ride height. So, I have seen the Kawasaki ER6F 2005-2008 model and a lot of people are saying it is made for people who are short. Especially that the handle bar lean is not too far forwards so you dont have to reach so much to grab on to the handlebars unlike the SV650 for me. What do you guys think to this bike as it is really in my price range for under £2000 and with a restrictor it will be legal to ride around on a a2 licence. I know I can get my feet down on a ninja 400 which has a ride height of 785mm but that bike is a little smaller in terms of length so my hands can grab onto the handle bars easily.. Do you reckon I should be okay to look for a kawasaki er6f? My first big bike so doesnt have to be anything special. The ER6F does look very sporty which is what I am a fan off and if the reach is a bit long on the sv650 (seeing as it has a 17litre tank) then it should be perfectly fine on the ER6F considering it has a 15.5 litre tank? Dont want to agree on a bike viewing with someone just to go and find out im going to embarass myself :popcorn:

Seems like I may have found the perfect bike? Its either that or a 400cc due to size :(

Thank You.

You are focusing solely on seat height, seat width plays a big part of whether you can get your feet down or not. The further your legs are apart the shorter they become.

You could have a taller bike with a narrow seat and it could be fine. You just need to sit on a lot of bikes until you find on that fits.

You are focusing solely on seat height, seat width plays a big part of whether you can get your feet down or not. The further your legs are apart the shorter they become.

You could have a taller bike with a narrow seat and it could be fine. You just need to sit on a lot of bikes until you find on that fits.

This, and forget arbitrary measurements like tank capacity, its a 3d object and bears no real relevance to the distance to the bars - a 17 litre tank could be short, narrow, and tall or long, wide, and flat or anything in between!

I too am 5'4 with 28 inside leg and even i can't flat foot my 125 with both feet down tip toes only :lol: :thumb:

Not much of an issue on a 125 though is it, given they weigh about as much as an empty tissue box. :lol:

No I am aware of the seat width too but people online say the seat width is small/average so should be fine. Didnt mention it for that reason. Need to find some people who own a ER6F so I know what their height is to compare if I will be okay on the er6f or not.

This, and forget arbitrary measurements like tank capacity, its a 3d object and bears no real relevance to the distance to the bars - a 17 litre tank could be short, narrow, and tall or long, wide, and flat or anything in between!

I too am 5'4 with 28 inside leg and even i can't flat foot my 125 with both feet down tip toes only :lol: :thumb:

Not much of an issue on a 125 though is it, given they weigh about as much as an empty tissue box. :lol:

The reason I mentioned the tank capacity is because the tank comes in the way of me the bigger it is. The SV650 has a 17 litre tank which when I sit on the bike, my feet will tip toe on the floor but by the time I grab on to the handlebars, the tank is in the way. If it was a smaller tank I would have had a better position. I guess im just saying it because im so short. Anyone taller wouldnt have that problem.

Not Xena 172kg kerb weight :lol: :thumb:

Guess we are both stuck on 125's forever xD unless its a cruiser.

i will do my A2 test but only because it leaves me some wiggle room if i ever decide to ride more than a 125, which for me is

highly unlikely as i have no need of anything bigger :lol: :thumb:

ps my Xena is a cruiser :cheers:

The reason I mentioned the tank capacity is because the tank comes in the way of me the bigger it is. The SV650 has a 17 litre tank which when I sit on the bike, my feet will tip toe on the floor but by the time I grab on to the handlebars, the tank is in the way. If it was a smaller tank I would have had a better position. I guess im just saying it because im so short. Anyone taller wouldnt have that problem.

No offence fella but I really don't think you are grasping this. a 15 litre tank could stick up more than a 17 litre one, the volume has little to do with its shape or the position it is mounted in.

Hi , I have the naked version of the ER6F ... the ER6N. Although I'm just over 5'10" my inside leg is 29 1/2". So only an inch or so more than yourself. I can flat foot the bike no problem ... both feet. Now, I'm around 14 stone so my weight plus a 13 year old rear shock may add to my ability to do that. Often when I look on ebay there is a lowered seat available or a shorter rear shock with shorter side stands. Or standard seats for around £50 that can be bought then customised to fit. Perhaps just getting the cover off and shaving an inch off the padding? The stance of the ER is quite sporty due to foot peg placement and it's a half hour job to fit some flat bars.

Hi , I have the naked version of the ER6F ... the ER6N. Although I'm just over 5'10" my inside leg is 29 1/2". So only an inch or so more than yourself. I can flat foot the bike no problem ... both feet. Now, I'm around 14 stone so my weight plus a 13 year old rear shock may add to my ability to do that. Often when I look on ebay there is a lowered seat available or a shorter rear shock with shorter side stands. Or standard seats for around £50 that can be bought then customized to fit. Perhaps just getting the cover off and shaving an inch off the padding? The stance of the ER is quite sporty due to foot peg placement and it's a half hour job to fit some flat bars.

What is the lean like on the bike because im guessing your referring the "Flat bars" to extend the handle bars higher? I know I should be fine when it comes to the ride height itself but the thing I am worrying about is if I will be able to reach the handlebars (Unlike the sv650 I went on yesterday which I literally grabbed the handle bars and my chest was like 3cm away from the tank +I think the handle bars on that bike where really far away. I am assuming the handle bars on the ER6F or N model are a bit closer to you and you dont have to lean so far away to grab the bars??

Unless they do some handle bars that will give them a bit more extension?

Thanks