The hazards of ferry crossings!

manxie49

Nice to see, considering how much we pay to sail with the steam packet, how careful and diligent they are at looking after our pride and joy :evil: Happened to me once, feel sorry for them!

[attachment=2]1.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]2.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]3.jpg[/attachment]

When I've gone on a ferry I tie my own bike down. Never had a problem. I've been on the shuttle a few times and they don't get tied at all on that but you are with it and it can't go side to side on that and if it does then the bike will be the least of your problems. :lol:

When I've gone on a ferry I tie my own bike down. Never had a problem. I've been on the shuttle a few times and they don't get tied at all on that but you are with it and it can't go side to side on that and if it does then the bike will be the least of your problems. :lol:

Yes they won't let you tie it down yourself on the steam packet ferry, something to do with insurance, they much prefer to F--- it up themselves :(

Yes they won't let you tie it down yourself on the steam packet ferry, something to do with insurance, they much prefer to F--- it up themselves :(

I had one guy who wanted to tie it himself but I spent so long unpacking the bike he went away.

Hull to Zebrugge expect you to tie your own bike down, they provide the straps, my mate asked ' is this so you're not liable" to which he got a nod

I have always noticed too that the straps are decent, clean and rolled up after use and ready for the next trip

Hull to Zebrugge expect you to tie your own bike down, they provide the straps, my mate asked ' is this so you're not liable" to which he got a nod

I have always noticed too that the straps are decent, clean and rolled up after use and ready for the next trip

I was torn between strapping it with the sidestand down or the centrestand but we reasoned the centrestand would allow for more 'twizzling' with only the front wheel rubber being used, to this day I don't know the answer

I was torn between strapping it with the sidestand down or the centrestand but we reasoned the centrestand would allow for more 'twizzling' with only the front wheel rubber being used, to this day I don't know the answer

Most ferries recommend lashing with the side stand down from the offside to the near side. Always a worry though.

A mate was one that crossing as a foot passenger returning on Saturday, here's his message to me

" Man at one point it felt like we may capsize the waves were coming over the front and into the car deck. The catamaran "mananan" does not run in autumn and winter because it cannot cope with the weather, I was lifting out of my seat as the thing fell into the troughs between the waves only to hit a wall of water that sounded like steel hitting rocks, you could see the cars on the fire deck below smashing into each other. f**kin scary "

Side stand then you have three points of contact (thumb)

I always strap the front brake on and leave it in gear too

Last time I used a ferry.. the fella asked me if I was happy once he had ratched the straps down.. he used rags to protect the bike.

Anyway.. its unlikely I will ever use the ferry again.. unless its to spain. (or norway - please.)

The tunnel is far too convenient. (mostly)

• 3 weeks later...

This is why I'm hanging on to the ER5. I have an ambition to ride a bike to a place in the Outer Hebrides called Husinis . I was going this year but the Harley came along and I ain't letting Caledonian Macbrane and their greasy straps anywhere near that . Maybe next year . By the way , if anyone is a fan of Basil Fawlty then you would love Cal Mac staff . These guys take rudeness to such a level that I actually find it hilarious .