Eifel Mountains 2019

Gerontious

Ho ho just a few days to go now. It's time to get the full fever. I'm looking forward to a nice service stop at Spy.

Spy is almost exactly 150 road miles from the Tunnel. 2hrs 25 non stop.. but of course, we will stop. (twice) so, we can expect to arrive there sometime before 2pm.

So, there is your incentive to have a decent breakfast before we set off. Though there will be two opportunities to grab a baguette beforehand. nom-nom.

Spag Bol and cheese... with a cake to die for (for afters) My usual...

Then, 18 miles later we leave the motorway.

Ho ho just a few days to go now. It's time to get the full fever. I'm looking forward to a nice service stop at Spy.

I'm feeling the fever. I'm all sorted now just need to stuff some things in a bag and I'm good to go. I think I'll be taking jeans rather than shorts this time and the mesh gear will be staying at home but I'm still looking forward to great roads, great company and a surly response when I ask for a beer in Zum Beilsturm.

leave off a final decision on gear until Friday.. when we will have a much clearer idea of how the weather is going to shape up.

Todays forecast for our week beginning Sunday.

Luxembourg in the west and Koblenz on the eastern side.

Luxembourg.thumb.png.9b22f735c7af0642a7b75f72a31bfba3.pngKoblenz.thumb.png.be74ef1d5bd965d6c6ca08a860e9dc7f.png

So far so not bad at all for the ride across on Sunday. dry all the way. cloudy.. but dry. and mild.

An eventful day... a message this afternoon from the Hotel owners wife.

what time are you arriving because we will be opening the restaurant,, and so if you can be here by 6pm you can eat here.. (words to that effect)

Obviously.. even without needing to ask the guys I agreed. as not only will the restaurant be open, but so will the bar.. and so no need to go in search of an open bar, like we did last year on the Sunday. (and Monday night too)

Then one of the guys dredged up a memory of Schnitzel being served on a previous Sunday, years ago, And so I dropped a very (not so subtle hint)

1790630945_ScreenShot2019-09-03at22_25_50.png.c84f13fbcbe2c967285ef214b1066b8a.png

so.. better and betterer. no hassle when we arrive, having to go out to eat and then find a bar. none of that. but also the absolute favourite meal they offer.. THE highlight of the week.. on our first night and likely on another night too.. as its a weekly 'event' and the place is known far and wide for this particular dish.

So... that means we will need to do the ride in about 7 hours... easy. We get to France at 11. and need to be at Neuerburg by 6. This year I reckon there will be none of the usual tut-tutting and "come on.. enough dilly-dallying" - we will be on a mission. :mrgreen:

Ive just finished my last shift and cant stop grinning... and now just 5 days. or 4 till we meet up in Kent. :thumb:

Last full day at home... and a small spanner in the works.

Highways have decided to close the M20 from our junction to the one immediately before the Tunnel turn-off. So, its a going to be a bit of a rigmarole and much slower ride on Sunday morning. Particularly as the motorway is closed in both directions. The shortest route goes through Ashford and I think that might be a nightmare.. so a short diversion around and join the A20 on the other side. And leaving about 20 minutes earlier than planned to be certain we have the best chance of arriving on time. Ideally, it should take 30 minutes, Ive allowed 45.

This is a shame, because (for me at least) the dash from the hotel to the tunnel is all part of it. its thrilling.

Aside from that.. the weather forecast has only improved. Dry all the way on Sunday and dry all week, with the coolest day being this Sunday. 17c and improving daily to 22 on Wednesday. Im happy with that, much better than the heatwave we have endured the past 3 years. 30c is nice until you stop.

Dog has gone to the minder. Ive got all my docs sorted, final step was travel insurance last night. £8 so cheap as there are so many 'normal' things I don't need. flight cancellations. lost luggage. and so on.

just packing my bag - next.

Thanks.. we are staying only about 16 miles from the Bitburg brewery. And at least two of the guys are big fans.

I prefer their wheatbeer. Benediktiner.

Though at the end of a long day.. anything is welcome.

ci-benediktiner-weissbier-67bfb4d3556eb39e.png.jpeg.9dfa1a77c3786c4022f88f18e43cdf2d.jpeg

Schnitzel!

Dang it, now I feel I'm missing out :cry:

@The GOAT Hope you get it all sorted. If not, you can borrow my Tiger.

Very kind of you to offer sir!

The bike should be ok....

Fingers crossed.

Almost ready for the off.

Guys guys!! I just went out for a run on my 24 year old hack and I went out and turned the key and it all switched on straight away, am I doing it wrong??

:angel12:

Also the Benediktiner is alright but a poor substitute for the Paulaner they used to have. Still better than lager though, pfff.

Not long now. Some tyres have appeared so I think I'll go get em fitted.

UYMDqThl.jpg

Theres nothing lke leaving things to the last minute,

Has the bike got its engine in the frame? or is it in the dishwasher on a final rinse?

Wasn’t today the first day of the run?

You will run on some very fresh rubber :shock:

Yes, today is the ride down to Kent, where we stay overnight and then off to the Tunnel tomorrow morning.

He has had all year to get his bike ready, since January. Now, we will just have to wait and see if. A. he arrives in Kent later today. B. If he makes it to the Tunnel tomorrow. C. If he makes it to Neuerburg without a breakdown. D. if he manages the entire week without a breakdown. E if he manages to get home without a breakdown.

he has a habit of breaking down. (did you guess)

Its not his tyres Im really worried about, its that Heath Robinson mototrcycle he is riding.. one of Hondas best. but he's had it in his hands for a few years now so: who knows.

549813077_ModifiedVFRartistsimpression.thumb.png.9f6d35a346776183dca70df21522e035.png