ZXR750 L1

Morning,

I'm going to see a ZXR750 L1 this weekend. Is there anything bar the usual bike stuff I need to look out for on these bikes? I used to have a J about 25 years ago but it was back when I didn't know what I was doing with bike maintenance, couldn't even ride the thing properly.

Thanks,

Mark

I have an L3 which is the same except for the colours. :-)

Great bike - super nimble with a good turn of pace.

If it's got the original shock then it might be a bit bouncy - an aftermarket unit will make a world of difference.

The original Tokico calipers can be a bit iffy but a good clean and set up greatly improve them. They can be replaced with Nissin calipers - you just need some adapters to make them fit correctly.

Some people fiddle-arse about fitting jet kits to the carbs - drilling slides and all that which more often than not does not improve things.

There's plenty of stuff you can do to jazz them up too which is a bonus.

Give me a shout if you want to slap a turbo on it and I'll give you some pointers. :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

I have an L3 which is the same except for the colours. :-)

Great bike - super nimble with a good turn of pace.

If it's got the original shock then it might be a bit bouncy - an aftermarket unit will make a world of difference.

The original Tokico calipers can be a bit iffy but a good clean and set up greatly improve them. They can be replaced with Nissin calipers - you just need some adapters to make them fit correctly.

Some people fiddle-arse about fitting jet kits to the carbs - drilling slides and all that which more often than not does not improve things.

There's plenty of stuff you can do to jazz them up too which is a bonus.

Give me a shout if you want to slap a turbo on it and I'll give you some pointers. :thumb:

Do you know much about mods to 2003 zx6r a1p's?

I think it's probably unlikely I'll turbo it but never say never.

This is a nostalgia buy so I'll be keeping it as original as I can. Having said that I also want to do some classic track days on it so if bits don't work they'll get replaced with something that does.

I think it's probably unlikely I'll turbo it but never say never.

This is a nostalgia buy so I'll be keeping it as original as I can. Having said that I also want to do some classic track days on it so if bits don't work they'll get replaced with something that does.

If you want rearsets for the track (originals hit the ground quite early) then SES do a set which are quite good. They even use pictures of my bike in the ad. :lol:

I've got some spare wheels if you're going to get in to track days - freshly powder coated with new bearings. Probably got some other stuff too...

Went along to see the bike yesterday, all objectivity went out of the window and bought it despite some obvious issues for £1600...

zxr2.thumb.jpg.28afe6f37498fe07db60a318bd6de769.jpg

On good side the engine is very very strong and pulls incredibly well, the carbs fuel well having been cleaned and serviced. The suspension is great although I suspect the shock may need refreshing but the front end has been rebuilt. The brakes including discs are all pretty much new although they're not that effective having been stood for ages. All in all it feels really good.

On the downside the fairing is clearly not original, there's wall rash on the side not photographed and the stickers are not that similar to the original, a previous owner has started to polish the frame but not that well, the exhaust isn't original and isn't that great and the wiring around the clocks have been bodged.

Plan A was to sort out the bits that needed doing and ride it which wouldn't be that hard. It would just need the wiring doing and the brakes sorting out and we'd be off.

However plan B is the one I'm going with because as soon as I got on it and heard it I wanted to strip the thing down to the frame and rebuild it so it can be used reliably on track days. I'm not aiming for as new so won't be replacing anything that has a scratch on it but I will be repainting the frame as polished frames have never been my thing and I'll be sorting the bodywork out. I don't know what I'll do with paint but I'll be looking for OE panels and then getting them all painted. The tank and tail are fine, the front end isn't.

I don't know what scheme to go for. I'm not massively keen on the original scheme but it would be original. I could replicate the J scheme which is my favourite or I could do something different. No rush to decide. I'll add to this thread when I clear out the garage to make some room and start the project...

zxr3.thumb.jpg.52aa7c1806d46aee412adab7d7efdf6f.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

Depends how original I want it I suppose. I guess that search for originality would be a rod for my own back and what I really want is a bike I can ride and doesn't break down. Maybe I'll teach myself to paint the fairing, that would be fun and I could choose my own design based on what I like about the zxrs colour schemes rather than the frankly naff late schemes.

• 2 weeks later...

Project begins with a bit of a strip down...

IMG_20190922_180906.thumb.jpg.b1c70c0513e4e0eb6c6bccc5553ace74.jpg

IMG_20190922_180853.thumb.jpg.fb2e208983b9aea56afc1d937a73b4db.jpg

Everything looks ok for now. Bodywork isn't great as I knew. There's an oil leak from the top of the engine but it looks like it's the cam cover gasket and/or the cam cover bolt washers have failed. The upside is that the front of the engine is oily but clean.

Exhaust off and engine out next time.