Buying a new bike online.

Sir Stanley Hubris

I’m thinking of buying a new bike (Z1000SX tourer) and my local dealer is quoting book price of £11k with a semi-reasonable price for my current bike as part ex. Looking online there are dealers offering the same bike for up to a grand less with roughly the same part ex meaning even after factoring in the cost of getting the bike to where I live (200 miles away) is be £100s better off.

My question is, is it a no brainer to go for the cheaper price or is it worth paying more to buy from 10 miles away? I’d be very interested to hear from guys who have bought online from a distance.

PS My major concern is who does the initial 500 mile check up? Taking a bike on a 400 mile round trip would negate any initial saving but then why should my local dealer do it for free? (Or would Kawasaki pay for this?)

I can't help wondering , what's in it for the dealership ? They knock off £1000 and deliver the bike to you . Why ? How are they profiting by doing business this way ? How does it cost them a grand for you to turn up and ride it away ? I don't know the answers but I do know that they ain't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts .

I can't help wondering , what's in it for the dealership ? They knock off £1000 and deliver the bike to you . Why ? How are they profiting by doing business this way ? How does it cost them a grand for you to turn up and ride it away ? I don't know the answers but I do know that they ain't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts .

I live in Gloucestershire. I bought my bike in London. I got a brand new bike for over £2000 less than list price. For the money I paid my local dealer could only offer me a used bike with 5k on the clock. For me it was a no-brainer. The reason I was told was to shift surplus stock. Turned out the dealer was going bust. I got a letter from Ducati about a month later telling me that all warranties etc would be honoured by any Ducati dealer. Bike has been serviced without any issues. My only regret was riding the bike home from London after picking it up having zero experience of riding in London. A little bit traumatic!

Why don’t you play them off against each other and see if your local dealer can match or better the price?

This first. Though I'd phrase it 'give them a chance to come closer to the other dealer's offer'.

Buy at the end of the month too.

Also, you can get your bike serviced at any dealer - doesn't have to be where you bought it from.

You can buy from any dealer, and you can take your bike to a different dealer if you want to get it serviced. And any dealer will honour your guarantee, so no worries on that score. The only thing to be aware of is that if your local dealer does a free 500 mile service, just make sure that this a nationwide thing and not something they do just for people who buy their bikes. (But even if you have to pay for the service, it's probably only £150 or so.)

Sometimes a different dealer is able to offer a discount, either because they need to shift some bikes and clear stock quickly, or meet targets that trigger a bonus, or sometimes they've managed to get a particular deal out of the manufacturer for a short time. Either way, they do it in the hope that someone like you will come and spend their money at their place instead of the their local dealership. In other words, it's a genuine offer designed to get more business.

If it were me, I'd phone the place up today, buy the thing, and pocket the grand and spend it either on the panniers or else a holiday in the sun :D

By the way - the ZX is a truly awesome bike.

You get additional consumer rights when buying online compared to in store..

When people catch on to this retailers will start insisting you come and pay in store!

:wink:

Distance selling act - good point. Paying with credit card as opposed to debit card affords you some protection too with the consumer credit act. Also means you have loads of spare cash to spend on like overpriced Italian gloves and knee sliders.

Everything Italian is overpriced, it starts with pizza and pasta :booty:

My bike wasn't. Having said that I bought a pair of XL gloves of a well known Italian brand on line whilst away at sea. Expensive and for me utterly useless. XL for a tribe of hobbits maybe but I couldn't even get my hands in. Also because I'd been away when they were delivered it was too late to return them. :twisted:

Everything Italian is overpriced, it starts with pizza and pasta :booty:

My bike wasn't. Having said that I bought a pair of XL gloves of a well known Italian brand on line whilst away at sea. Expensive and for me utterly useless. XL for a tribe of hobbits maybe but I couldn't even get my hands in. Also because I'd been away when they were delivered it was too late to return them. :twisted:

SportsBikeShop have a 365 day returns policy for future reference