Street Twin talk me out of it

Fripnchips

Hello all,

I test rode the 2019 triumph street twin last week and ever since my bike (Honda CMX500) hasn't felt the same. Before i commit to getting one any other bikes people would suggest test riding or reasons not to get the street twin i am all ears. I only passed my Direct access in November 18 so don't have much to compare to.

I have already looked at the Yamaha XSR900 and BMW Rninet but neither really do it for me.

Ps the wife is already on board with the street twin so maybe i should just go for it.

Cheers

Test ride several bikes and you'll find whether it's the right bike for you. Don't judge engine performance by numbers - the Triumph engines pull far more strongly than the bhp figures suggest. It's about how usable the power is rather than just what the max bhp may be produced at rpm you'd not want to be living with for long.

The Triumph is also not quite the same as other bikes - there is something about owning a Triumph that is either something essential to you or it's not. A Triumph is a Triumph and those who love them own them simply because that's what they are. If that applies to you then frankly comparing bikes doesn't quite work the same. If that doesn't matter to you then it won't make any difference.

Test ride several bikes and you'll find whether it's the right bike for you. Don't judge engine performance by numbers - the Triumph engines pull far more strongly than the bhp figures suggest. It's about how usable the power is rather than just what the max bhp may be produced at rpm you'd not want to be living with for long.

The Triumph is also not quite the same as other bikes - there is something about owning a Triumph that is either something essential to you or it's not. A Triumph is a Triumph and those who love them own them simply because that's what they are. If that applies to you then frankly comparing bikes doesn't quite work the same. If that doesn't matter to you then it won't make any difference.

What you say is true. However I test rode a Tiger and the Multistrada. For me there was no comparison, the Ducati won hands down. Its not the most powerful and it's not the fastest but it's all day comfortable and a hoot to ride. Go with what works for you and ignore the naysayers.

65bhp hmmm.. Planning on doing any other test rides anytime soon? If you ride a street triple or speed triple you may find the twin feels...not naff, but underpowered. Depends how much you like speed.

I test rode the street triple aswell although it felt a lot quicker it just didn't feel like a bike i wanted to own. I have always wanted a bonneville (father in law has a 1969 sat in storage) just like you say can't think what to test ride.

I test rode the street triple aswell although it felt a lot quicker it just didn't feel like a bike i wanted to own. The street twin fel nice to ride and just allround better than the honda. I'm not a speed demon so aslong as it will handle the back roads and the occasional trip with the mrs it should be fine.

I have always wanted a Bonneville so i get what you mean about the owning a Triumph i guess i just want ideas of other bikes to test before i commit. So far i have ridden the Honda CMX500, Triumph Street Twin, Triumph Street Triple, Harley Davidson 48 and a Suzuki sv650 and it's the one that made me want to stay out riding for longer.

What were your honest impressions of the Harley ? I'm interested to know what a relatively new rider would make of it .

Honestly having ridden my Rebel i wouldn't buy one. That's not to say i didn't enjoy it. It is definitely quicker than the rebel (not much top end) which makes it more attractive but i found it quite heavy and not as easy to corner with when compared to the rebel as such for me doesn't warrant the extra cost i also am not a fan of the forward controls. Also the sound is so loud i'm not sure my neighbours would be impressed.

I live very close to a Harley Dealers and can understand why people have them as it's a lifestyle almost and everyone i have met at the dealers (they regular have bike nights and parties with free hog roasts) have been so helpful and friendly.

Are you out your mind .???????? Why are you looking at other bikes for

One statement said it all

The mrs is behind the street twin .

You pick any other bike and your infor ear ache any time the different bike brakes down

The street would still be running

the street will still be better looking

the street so on

Dont be a fool man let the mrs pick it's best in the long run less hassle . That how to keep a woman happy make it sound like shes right all the time.. so I'd stick what she said ..

Lol

Are you out your mind .???????? Why are you looking at other bikes for

One statement said it all

The mrs is behind the street twin .

You pick any other bike and your infor ear ache any time the different bike brakes down

The street would still be running

the street will still be better looking

the street so on

Dont be a fool man let the mrs pick it's best in the long run less hassle . That how to keep a woman happy make it sound like shes right all the time.. so I'd stick what she said ..

Lol

Best quote yet

What's the rush? If you take some time out to test a few more bikes, there'll be plenty of bargains to be picked between November and March. Worst case is that you end up with the Street Twin and a few hundred pounds extra in your pocket.

I test rode the 2019 triumph street twin last week and ever since my bike (Honda CMX500) hasn't felt the same. Before i commit to getting one any other bikes people would suggest test riding or reasons not to get the street twin i am all ears.

Try Triumph speed twin too. It looks and rides much better IMO. Has more power for the same weight. Better brakes and suspension. And it looks very cool:

2019-Triumph-Speed-Twin-Review-retro-sport-motorcycle-11.jpg

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/triumph/speed-twin-1200/2019/