Security when staying away from home.

Sir Stanley Hubris

For those of you that stay overnight in hotels etc - what do you use to secure your bike and prevent it being pinched? I guess secure bike storage is the best but in its absence do you rely on a secluded spot (round the back perhaps) plus a disc lock or chain or is there a better option?

(Obviously first choice is a ground floor disabled room as they tend to have wider doors so you can just wheel your bike in!)

Chain ideally to something solid like a lamppost, but failing which just around the wheel so it's essentially a large disk lock (only way heavier to carry!) Though you can chain it to your mates bike, or any random's chained wheel.

I've never done it. But chain it to something (light post) as close to the front door of the hotel as possible. Hotel front doors usually have cameras… Secluded bits of car park normally do not.

Chain around the rear wheel, usually to a mates bike or something immovable and an abus disc lock on the front, I put a cover over the bike as well "out of sight out of mind", I park it somewhere well lit or if wherever I'm staying has cameras I park it where it can be seen by those. Theres only so much you can do and if some scum bag wants it they will get it, its just a case of not making it an easy target for them.

I would go with a cover as well as chains and disc locks as above, if they can't see what bike it is i would think less likely to try and tamper, but then again curiosity is human nature and might attract more attention in people trying to peek under the cover like some upskirting perv :shock: :lol:

I would look at the hotel first on streetview and then base my next move on that. I would prefer to stay somewhere that the bike can either be stored in a secure garage or worst case, out of sight of passing traffic. Often times its easy to just ask the reception staff where people (or staff) park their bikes.

I would go with a cover as well as chains and disc locks as above, if they can't see what bike it is i would think less likely to try and tamper, but then again curiosity is human nature and might attract more attention in people trying to peek under the cover like some upskirting perv :shock: :lol:

I saw a docu on tele not that long ago with a bike thief candidly telling people how to protect their bikes! Nice of him. He said a cover was the number 1 deterrent for him as it takes too long to see what's under. So, from the horse's mouth...

I would look at the hotel first on streetview and then base my next move on that. I would prefer to stay somewhere that the bike can either be stored in a secure garage or worst case, out of sight of passing traffic. Often times its easy to just ask the reception staff where people (or staff) park their bikes.

Thats a good point about asking hotel staff, I asked the staff at the Holiday Inn Express in Lancaster and they let me park my bike right at the reception door, reception staff were really helpful, said they could see it and would keep an eye on it.

I would also fit an alarm, one thing about thieves is they don't like being noticed, so any noise that can bring unwanted attention in their direction has to be a good deterrent :thumb:

Alarm is a really good idea, the problem is when I had one I was plagued by false alarms in windy conditions. Now this may sound naff but it actually works a treat, I bought a personal attack alarm pictured below for £4 of fleabay, I have a piece of monofilament line one end attached via a small clip to the bike the other to the alarm, alarm is hidden discretely nearby, someone moves the bike and it pulls the pin sending out 143Db siren, you can be as poetic as room permits when it comes to hiding the siren, I don't get any false alarms and because the monofilament is so thin it can't be seen unless you really look hard, especially at night when the majority of thieving scum go about their business.[attachment=0]s-l1600.jpg[/attachment]

I would also fit an alarm, one thing about thieves is they don't like being noticed, so any noise that can bring unwanted attention in their direction has to be a good deterrent :thumb:

Alarm is a really good idea, the problem is when I had one I was plagued by false alarms in windy conditions. Now this may sound naff but it actually works a treat, I bought a personal attack alarm pictured below for £4 of fleabay, I have a piece of monofilament line one end attached via a small clip to the bike the other to the alarm, alarm is hidden discretely nearby, someone moves the bike and it pulls the pin sending out 143Db siren, you can be as poetic as room permits when it comes to hiding the siren, I don't get any false alarms and because the monofilament is so thin it can't be seen unless you really look hard, especially at night when the majority of thieving scum go about their business.s-l1600.jpg

The one i have talks and warns you the bike as an alarm then bleeps a few times, if it is moved again within a few seconds the alarm goes off and by heck it makes a racket 120db's worth :lol:

Nobody pays attention to alarms, there are numerous YouTube videos of bikes alarm screaming while the bike is loaded into the back of a van and people walking past taking not a blind bit of notice. A big f#*k off lock deters some, but if they want your bike ain't nuffin gonna stop em. Stop worrying and enjoy the riding.

Not tried one of these myself but a medic who stayed with us during this years TT had one on his bike, doesn't stop the bike being nicked but potentially helps find it if it is, I think it also sends you a text message if the bike is moved? I looked at it when he was here and it seemed to be pretty effective with no annual subscription charge.https://monimoto.co.uk/?_ga=2.130907466.41762124.1568632652-1462968911.1568632652

Nobody pays attention to alarms, there are numerous YouTube videos of bikes alarm screaming while the bike is loaded into the back of a van and people walking past taking not a blind bit of notice. A big f#*k off lock deters some, but if they want your bike ain't nuffin gonna stop em. Stop worrying and enjoy the riding.

Yes I agree somewhat with what you're saying here, I think the whole ethos though is to make it less attractive, if its parked sensibly, has good security measures in place then the light fingered scum are more inclined to move on to what they see as an easier target. I enjoy the riding but I also like to think my bike is going to still be there when I get up in the morning and whilst most people will ignore alarms, if I'm in the hotel and hear my alarm go off I'll be straight up to see what's going on. Doing something to improve the security of your bike can't be a bad thing IMHO and you are right, a big F--k off chain attached to an immovable object is definitely the best way to go.

Not tried one of these myself but a medic who stayed with us during this years TT had one on his bike, doesn't stop the bike being nicked but potentially helps find it if it is, I think it also sends you a text message if the bike is moved? I looked at it when he was here and it seemed to be pretty effective with no annual subscription charge.https://monimoto.co.uk/?_ga=2.130907466.41762124.1568632652-1462968911.1568632652

£36 annual subscription

Guest Richzx6r

Where do you think I'd stand with a set of flame throwers in a nicely concealed location that is linked to a tilt sensor so when the scum try and wheel it away the get fried :twisted:

Where do you think I'd stand with a set of flame throwers in a nicely concealed location that is linked to a tilt sensor so when the scum try and wheel it away the get fried :twisted:

I like your thinking .... Develop one and retire a happy man on the proceeds :twisted:

£36 annual subscription

Just proves I never actually read anything! :lol:

£36 annual subscription

Just proves I never actually read anything! :lol:

Yeah that's why I always add ketchup to them!

Each to our own on security, lugging around a big old chain and padlock is not for me. Bike cover and disc-lock usually, and if there are a few of us, sometimes we take a 12mm x 180cm wire strop that gets lashed through the wheels of all the bikes (well at least 4) other than that we usually try to find Hotels with secure parking